GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear gear needed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 am

Looking for an affordable gear set for my '95 Caprice wagon. Has a 2.56 now affraid . Want 3.23, 3.42 or a 3.73. Doesn't need to be posi.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm

My buddy has a set of 3.73s that he is taking out soon. I'll send this to him...
Back to top Go down

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Pete,I remember something about needing to replace the carrier whenever you change to a lower
gearset.Nick and Tim will know the specifics.
Jim
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 pm

jim you are correct if you have a 256 gear you will need to get a 3 series carrier. 3 series carrier will go from 273 and up. 3 tonfun you best and cheapest bet would be to get a complete posi 323 rear out of a tbi wagon. that is what i did. then just swap them
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 pm

oh you can pull axels out and hang backing plates from wheelwell and swap the rears if you dont want to bleed the brakes
Back to top Go down

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Already did a cross reference on the carrier (a perk of having the GM parts catalog at my disposal). My particular carrier will accept a 3-series. Brakes don't scare me....been known to build some crazy stuff and make it work!
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

you'll need a ring gear spacer if you want to use your series 2 carrier.
Back to top Go down

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Jason,does the ring gear spacer eliminate the need for the 3 series carrier?
Jim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Other Jason, but yes.

3ton, your book is wrong. 2.56 gears use a 2 series, 2.73 and above use 3 series. This is for an 8.5/6 ring gear corporate ten bolt.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 am

jayoldschool wrote:
Other Jason, but yes.

3ton, your book is wrong. 2.56 gears use a 2 series, 2.73 and above use 3 series. This is for an 8.5/6 ring gear corporate ten bolt.

What he said!!!

Do not overlook 3.08:1 gears they are a great set up for all around in our wagons. They are very easy to come by (including reluctor for ABS) and cheap on the Impala forum as they are the stock gear. Likely you can find a used limited slip unit as well. I had them in mine before I did the 3.73:1 and miss the fuel mileage. Better smokey burn outs with the 3.73's though. It all changes when the t56 goes in!!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 am

if you get ring gear spacer make sure you get new ring gear bolts need to be longer because of spacer. some spacers come with the bolts. my friend made his own spacer yrs ago when he did not know you could buy one
Back to top Go down

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Tim,once the 6 speed is in what will the overdrive ratio?Think the 4L60E is .70 but the 6 speed is
even better,.50 would be perfect with that 3.73 rear.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear gear needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear gear needed   Rear gear needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear gear needed
Page 1 of 1