GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?

Go down 
+5
Olds Weighty Eight
Sprocket
Fred Kiehl
buickestate
jayoldschool
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Empty
PostSubject: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:40 pm

In accepting the fate of my 94 Caprice as a winter rust monster, and dealing with the missing driver's floor footwell, I think that instead of carpet I might want to go with the 9C1 floor cover. Anyone have a decent one that is collecting dust?

Jason.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

I have a decent black 9c1 carpet with floor mats
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm

You have the carpet, not the full rubber floor cover, correct?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:12 pm

correct just the black carpet
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I need the rubber for the protection!

There you go. Setups don't get better than that. Cue the lols.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:49 pm

There is one in a yard here, and if I recall, it is in nice shape. I won't be able to get to the yard until tomorrow or Friday.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Check it for me. I'd like no holes other than seats, and it needs to be cheap.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Fiberglass carboaard! Cut the carboard to fit and then glass, it's amazing how strong it is and good for about 5-7 years. Biggest issue you have is getting it to set in those temps!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Check it for me. I'd like no holes other than seats, and it needs to be cheap.
It may not be expensive, but it will cost you a fair amount for shipping, because it is bulky.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Back in the 90's I picked up a '68 Firebird convertible with holes in the driver side footwell. As an easy, temporary fix prior to welding in new floor pans, I used aluminum roof flashing and self tapping sheet metal screws from the hardware store. Quick and functional.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Fiberglass carboaard! Cut the carboard to fit and then glass, it's amazing how strong it is and good for about 5-7 years. Biggest issue you have is getting it to set in those temps!

John you sputhern boys think we live in antartica,.when you add catalyst to fibreglass resin,. it sets up regardless of temps,..

And where did you learn the fibreglass cardboard trick from john??

Nick
Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:00 am

The fiberglass cardboard "trick" has been around forever.
In my youth I'd use aluminum flashing on the exterior with pop rivets to patch holes, had it halfway up the sides of my '64 Dodge, the sun reflecting off of it would blind people. It's a little thin for floorboards,
some 1/2" CDX plywood plywood with roofing adhesive tar globbed on the back and then smooshed in is what you use for those, as an added bonus it gives gives the interior a nice 1960's big city aroma too. Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 am

Al H. wrote:
The fiberglass cardboard "trick" has been around forever.
In my youth I'd use aluminum flashing on the exterior with pop rivets to patch holes, had it halfway up the sides of my '64 Dodge, the sun reflecting off of it would blind people. It's a little thin for floorboards,
some 1/2" CDX plywood plywood with roofing adhesive tar globbed on the back and then smooshed in is what you use for those, as an added bonus it gives gives the interior a nice 1960's big city aroma too. Smile

first off i was specifically asking sprocket,.but thanks for saving him the trouble of replying,. cyclops

secondly a little thin as you put it,.would ultimately depend on how thick a piece of cardborad was used and whether it was waxed and wouldn't allow resin to soak in, and how many layers of resin were added etc,. right? I guess if as usual some moron Question cut the side out of a cereal box and coated it with single coat of resin,. then yes i,d agree it,d be too thin,. Rolling Eyes

unfortunantly my posts are directed at the guys with enough ambition, and a little common sense,to run with an idea and hopefully put their own twist on it and improve it,.. it,s well known i don't pander to idiots too well, @ .

and i,m awful tired of hairs getting split on this forum ,. as i,m already bald,.and i,ve none to spare,. bom

Nick
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Have witnessed said missing footwell and even contemplated having Jay cut out the well on Gords 91 before it heads off to the crusher. Suggested he use a piece of aluminum sheet, backed with some roofing "ice shield" and attached it to the floor using some black sealant. That should do him for the winter and he can address a proper repair in the spring.

Jay: Investing in a rubber floor cover now is akin to closing the door after the horses have left. That floor is not going to get any worse over the next 3 months and the normal carpet looks so much better. Just get some Canuck Pneau floor mats to catch the slush.

Last vehicle I had with rubber floors was a 76 Ford pickup. Was handy because you could do an interior detailing with a garden hose and scrub brush.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Jay where is home for shipping. Tomorrow is the day for the yards.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Fred, I am thinking that shipping will kill it, even if I send it to upstate NY. Hold off for now, and I'll see what I can come up with local.

Thanks, though!
Jason.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:13 pm

If it is in good condition, I may pull it anyway. There are a number of people who would like a good one. It will give me an idea of the shipping costs too.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Ok, keep me posted. We'll probably be in your area when I am in FL in March.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 am

Hi Jason

Saw this, don't know if it meets your needs, but price seemed fair.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=267662

Happy New Year

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:43 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Fred, I am thinking that shipping will kill it, even if I send it to upstate NY. Hold off for now, and I'll see what I can come up with local.

Thanks, though!
Jason.

I looked at the carpet, and it is not as nice as I remembered. It has 4 major bolt holes on the hump between the seats. It is also in 3 pieces. There is a tear in the driver's side in the rear as well.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 pm

NIck, I learned it from my Dad when we fixed all the rust in the 73 Caddy.
I've also used a piece of posterboard as the basis of a home made surfboard fin that made it plainly obvious to me that I needed a few classes in hydro dynamics (but it sure looked cool) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I've been working with fiberglass for probably 25 - 30 years off and on. I have noticed that it does set up a lil slower in 50 degree temps vs 85. I've never explored how low you can go with it and made an obvious bad assumption.

For those not familar: The cardboard is there merely to help it keep it's shape the fiberglass and resin give it it's strength. Also, as Nick mentioned the paper wicks up the resin and becomes watertight if completely covered.

Also used it blend exterior patch panels on cars.....cut out rust, put galvanized backing plate, pop rivet in place and glass over. Sand and fill in holes with body filler sand again, prime, paint, Viola! That was done on my Healey in 1980 and the rust didn't come back until 2010 and still is just some small bubbles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?   Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who has a nice 9C1 rubber carpet?
Page 1 of 1