GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
benn

benn

ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Empty
PostSubject: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 pm

So my '92 l05 has been making a ticking noise for a long time, before i even bought the car i can remember hearing it when the PO visited us (family friend) he had always referred to it has tappet noise. my question is whether or not or how i can get rid of it. is it a matter of adjusting rocker clearance or valve lash??? keep in mind this my first car and my first "engine" never done any of the above listed and not even sure if it will cure this issue. its deffinately not a rod knock just sounds like a light ticking. if need be i can post a vid with sound. be easy on me, im still learning!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm

The sound could be coming from a loose exhaust manifold bolt. Easy to check.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 pm

On your quest for exhaust leakage, don't forget to get under the car and check where the manifolds meet the cats (or whatever you have down there)
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 pm

manifold bolts are all tight. and definitely isn't an exhaust leak lol. my question is whether my problem is a matter of some adjustments or if my issue lies with a sticky lifter. these engines came with hydraulic lifters, correct?

guess it might be best for me just to poke around a bit more. seen valve lash adjustments done many times before, some when the engine is running cyclops just never done 'em my self before that's all. probably would be a good idea for me to post a vid so you guys can hear it too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Nick has mentioned it before and I know this works weel.Get a piece of garden hose about 3 feet
long and hold one end on the engine and the other to your ear and listen carefully.Just move the engine end of the hose slowly around the engine and listen.I always use a 5 or 6 foot length and
get someone else to move the hose around while I listen far enough from the engine to eliminate
all the background noise like the fans and intake noise/belt driven accessories.
Jim
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:00 pm

thanks jim! and thanks nick, great tip. will do tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

alright well my lazy ass didnt allow to go try the hose trick. i found another possibility. my brother says he's found a set of GM high compression heads. for cheap, VERY cheap from a friend. neither him nor i know little about them. they apparently came off an '85?? G body monte carlo with a 350. i really dont think these types of heads would be a great thing to do to an engine like this with a shat load of miles (close to 200k) but for under $100 for the pair i think is a steal and am having a hard time resisting them...

thoughts? opinions? insults? any input for the most part would be great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?    ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ticking noise, lifters? rocker arms?
Page 1 of 1