GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Opti ticking?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Opti ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Opti ticking?   Opti ticking? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 am

I finally replaced my oil filled opti on my caprice over the weekend with a new one. No, its not a GM. I bought this one off the other forum and the reviews have been good on it so far. Anyways, when the car is cold everything is normal, no noises or anything. Once she gets hot, a ticking develops which I pinpointed to the opti with a stethascope. Everything runs good, but theres a ticking noise. If I let the car get cold and start it, the noise is gone. The opti is also silent with a stethascope when cold. Any ideas what can be be hitting in this thing that only happens when its hot? I do plan on putting my old GM opti back in once the new cap and rotor come in (GM). The only thing I can think of is the rotor hitting something in this thing.

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Opti ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti ticking?   Opti ticking? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Did you happen to take the cap off? Sounds like the rotor loosened up maybe (needs locktite for sure!) or when the plastic heats up, it expands and rubs the rotor. The aftermarket opti I got seemed ok, but the two melted taps on the rotor that hold the metal bar to it were a loose fit, and one had completely pulled through. May be the case on yours too. Either way, you gotta pull it. Sad
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Opti ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti ticking?   Opti ticking? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm

I did open it up, but I only opened it to loctite the rotor down! Funny thing is I figured something like this would happen so I installed the opti and hooked up enough stuff to start the engine before the pump went back on. Ugh, ever not want to do a job again?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Opti ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti ticking?   Opti ticking? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 am

95BRMW wrote:
I did open it up, but I only opened it to loctite the rotor down! Funny thing is I figured something like this would happen so I installed the opti and hooked up enough stuff to start the engine before the pump went back on. Ugh, ever not want to do a job again?

yeah like when I swapped out the whole opti on my wife's RMW only to find out it was the F'ing fuel pump!!!! And it had a full tank of gas to boot. My wife NEVER fills it up all the way but she did earlier that day, but I digress, lmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opti ticking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti ticking?   Opti ticking? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opti ticking?
Page 1 of 1