GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
92cappy

92cappy

Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Empty
PostSubject: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:29 pm

So, I am planning on doing a LOT of work this spring and summer. Im going to start off by fixing all the damage done from last summer's accident. This will involve removing the belt line trim and pounding out the dents, followed by bondo, primer, paint and clear. I figure that if I'm going to be doing that, I might as well clean up the entire car a bit and give it a fresh coat of paint. I'm planing on doing a DCM/BBB 2-tone on my wagon (hey, if I'm gunna give it new paint, I might as well make it look cool!) which I want to follow the body line all the way through the front of the hood. The PO left some damage on the hood however, that will make following the body line a bit more difficult.

Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors DSCN0019

I tried hitting it with a hammer a bit, but it didn't really seem to want to give. I know my best bet is to buy a replacement hood, but I'd rather not shell out the money, since the materials for this project will already be stretching my wallet as it is. If I can bring this back to shape, I'd rather do that. If I can't, I might just settle for ending the 2-tone on the fender, and painting the hood monotone. The car has high mileage, and is FAR from perfect, but being the perfectionist that I am, I want to have it looking as nice as I possibly can. So what do you think, fixable or no? TIA

~Jeff
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I wish I had a better picture of this (not with the car for a while). It looks worse in person. It's pushed in about 1/2-3/4 of an inch.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm

i think i would replace. you dont need to shell out alot just find a clean used one at a pick n pull yard. around here a hood would be about $27.00.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Around here they're about $50. Not terrible, but that's another 6 cans of paint. Trying to keep my investment low as it IS a 20 yo car with nearly 200k on all original engine/trans/rear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Jeff,just replace the hood.If you factor in all the time and frustration involved with fixing your
damaged hood,swapping is your best bet.Sounds like you're going to be busy so take lots of pictures.
Jim
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Hmmm. I guess I need to find out how much I'm going to get on my tax returns. And plan out the budget for this
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Vise grips will bend that hood edge back to where it needs to be.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 6:01 am

Vise grips? You meant hammer and dollie. That my friend is an easy fix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 am

Jeff listen to what "93 Roady-Man has to say.Look at his wagons paint job and decide for yourself.
I would still replace the hood but if he says that its an easy fix then its an easy fix.No matter
what the mileage is,if you are going to keep the wagon,its worth doing it right just once instead
of doing it wrong 3 or 4 times!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 pm

There was 1 wagon and 2 sedans at the Mt. Airy Crazy Rays last week. That is most likely the cheapest place to buy one in that neck of the woods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Tim,is your avatar passing gas every time he shifts gears?Looks like it to me! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Tim,is your avatar passing gas every time he shifts gears?Looks like it to me! Exclamation

Most folks do not ride with me twice...... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors IMG_20120222_153045

We'll see what gets the job done in about a month.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Jeff,youtube is your friend if you dont mind some of the guys music choice.Lots of howto videos,
just pick the one with the best results and watch!
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Well guys, it looks like this is not happening. Unfortunately, due to the electrical situation (something draining the battery) I can't get the car to start. The junkyard had no compatible batteries, and I can't afford a new one. As such, I can't work on the car this week because I can't move it to flat ground in order to jack it up and get the wheel off to work on the dent. Additionally, the tax return money which I was originally going to spend on paint, is now going to have to be spent on getting the electrical kinks worked out. Just my luck. No car, and no money.

Hopefully it'll get done eventually, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors   Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fixable? Getting ready for some new colors
Page 1 of 1