GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How "fixable" are our wagons?

Go down 
+16
s1l1sc
Sprocket
sherlock9c1
1993 Roady-man
randumnumber
cadillac kevin
scoffman
Fred Kiehl
94Woody
Nick Danger
lakeffect
buickestate
Cadet57
koopa
81X11
uxwbill
20 posters
AuthorMessage
uxwbill

uxwbill

How "fixable" are our wagons? Empty
PostSubject: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am

My long standing worry about driving any "older" car in nice condition is that the next idiot, inattentive driver or what-have-you will be right around the corner. Having finally gotten myself into what I'd consider a nice B-body wagon, I've been thinking about this even more. I wouldn't say I'm afraid to drive and enjoy my wagon, only that I'm cautious when I do.

My dad has a 1979 Cadillac Deville Phaeton that was in great shape until he nailed a massive deer on his way to work one morning. The hit almost certainly would have totaled a newer car. He drove on to work with a half-busted front end and mangled fender. Finding parts for this car has been a battle. We're still fighting this battle...we've got the major parts, the frame has been repaired, but now we're waiting for the right repair person to come along and to have the money to finish the job.

As it happens, I was tooling down the highway yesterday, longroofing it in style when this dizzy woman in a Saturn thought she'd pass a semi without regard for how much distance one needs to safely pass. Fortunately, I was able to bring the mighty blue wagon down, nobody was behind me and I would have been able to pull off the road if needed. I made known my displeasure by way of the horn and this woman kind of looked at me like I was from Mars.

I see conflicting information here on the forum regarding parts availability. My guess is that things like body panels are probably no longer available new, and I've read that some of the glass can be hard to come by. Yet others say that parts cars are relatively common. So, that's pretty much my question...if and when something bad happens, and the car is not a total loss, are parts generally available to fix these cars? If it should ever go off, are things like the air bag still available?
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 am

I think it depends on where you are. Happily here in Texas, people were crazy about full-size cars, so at least on the sedan side, there are A TON of Caprice's out there. The wagons are harder to find here....with no rear a/c they had trouble keeping up in the summertime.

That said, check out these pics from the Pick-N-Pull in San Antonio. They have a HUGE section of just large GM cars.

How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage191
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage192

Roady wagon
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage161
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage162
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage172

LT1 Sedan
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage163

Monte Carlo LS
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage164

Chevy with familier colors!
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage165

95 LT1 Roady.
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage166

Very complete G-body Cutlass
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage167

And Cutlass Wagon
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage168

Kicking myself here. This GP had all four 15x7 Rally II wheels. They were only $9.99 each....and I didn't nab them! Stupid!
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage169

More Roady Sedans
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage173

VERY CLEAN and SOLID 91 Olds Custom Cruiser. I got my exhaust heat shield off this car.
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage175
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage174
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage176
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage177
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage178
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage179
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage180
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage181
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage182

Another Roady Sedan
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage183

Very complete and solid Cutlass.
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage184
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage185

Burned Roady Sedan. Ouch!
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage186
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage187
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage188

Another G-body Cutlass
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage189

LeSabre Sport Coupe
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage190

Solid 78 Caddy
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage170

9C1 Caprice
How "fixable" are our wagons? JohnsSalvage171

There are other lots in Dallas and Houston with similar large GM sections, so at least for the near future, used rust-free parts are out there.

Also keep in mind the 94-96 Impala SS still has a large following, and there are a lot of websites and forums that cater to those. Many Impala parts are shared with wagons.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
koopa

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm

god i want a cutlass wagon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Mike, I think my phone exploded. Laughing
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 pm

koopa wrote:

here you go the price is right, if it were closer it would be in my driveway....

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16494
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Anyone got an answer to the original question? For what it's worth,,here's a partial opinion.

It seems the biggest issue is if you get rear ended, and crumpled, it could easily be all over for your wagon. Front fenders, hoods and grills, are easy to get from donor sedans.

Keep in mind given the age of our cars, it's all a numbers game. Most insurance companies will want to total the car, as it isn't "worth" much to them. $3000 repairs to a car valued at $2400 isn't worth it to them. If it's $30,000 car then it's to their advantage to fix it. Rarely does anyone ever make out well as the beneficiary of their goodwill.

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm not paying for insurance to repair the wagon. It's pretty certain that the first claim would total the car. So I'm not sending them that money.

Have you had Shamoo appraised? I bet that it would be appraised at a lot more than $2400.

I expect that parts will become rarer and more expensive. I bought the car just when C4C hit, and the junk yard was full of good parts cars. That won't happen again. I haven't seen a B-body wagon in the U Pull and Pay for a year and a half. When someone threw a rock through the rear quarter window, the replacement came from a yard 350 miles away. I like the car, and Mrs Danger wants to keep driving it, but there will come a time when the parts will become too hard to get for a daily driver.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Nick You have have a good idea. I have been thinking of getting Shammoo appraised and insured for an agreed value. I know they will not honor sweat equity, but at the same time it's value should be greater than an average 19 year old vehicle is worth.

Your other point about the costs of replacement parts amplifies what I had said, that as the value of the overall vehicle diminishes and parts for it go up, the Insurance undewriters are more likley to total it than repair it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 pm

One day soon, the junk yard parts supply is gonna run out on these cars.

There are basically zero parts available through the aftermarket. Sure, there are some but not much, especially for our wagons.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Nick You have have a good idea. I have been thinking of getting Shammoo appraised and insured for an agreed value. I know they will not honor sweat equity, but at the same time it's value should be greater than an average 19 year old vehicle is worth.

Your other point about the costs of replacement parts amplifies what I had said, that as the value of the overall vehicle diminishes and parts for it go up, the Insurance undewriters are more likley to total it than repair it.

Sweat equity in the car when appraised is included in the value, because it is "as is". The only time they do not allow sweat equity is if it is wrecked, and you do the repair work.

They will total a car when it reaches a damage cost of 80% of the replacement value.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 am

A friend of mine had a 1970 Chevelle SS. He got hit by someone running a stop sign. The insurance company tried to total his car, because it was a nine-year old Chevy. He pulled out the appraisal, which showed that it was worth a lot more than book value for an ordinary sedan. The insurance company paid for repairs.

This was a decade before those old muscle cars got valuable. But he had a genuine SS, and he had done a lot of work on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 am

Um did anyone else notice that 91 Olds Custom Cruiser has the very hard to find class III hitch. Mike needs to hook a kook up with that thing. Go get it man.

But back to the thread at hand, depending on the damage done the fixing up can be cheap and easy or intensive and costly. If you don't have very many yards that have replacement parts there's always www.Car-Part.com. But eventually things will be harder to come by and we will just have to start fabing up our own new parts. Right? Cool
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:13 am

Parts here are pretty easy to come by (one local yard has 2 OCCs and about 10-15 RMS and 20 (at least) bubble caprices. Same for the boxes...2 caprice wagons and more boxes than I've ever seen on the road. Too bad I can't find an intact 77-90 caprice fan shroud if my life depended on it.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Oh man...I seriously need the gate and tail lights out of that white wagon.. They would go on a 93 caprice wagon yes?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:47 pm

randumnumber wrote:
Oh man...I seriously need the gate and tail lights out of that white wagon.. They would go on a 93 caprice wagon yes?

The gate would fit, but the trim is different. The tail lights have longer "bezel tails" on them. They would probably bolt up, but may interfere with the rear bumper cover. You need tails from a 92-96 Caprice (91s have a red tint to the bezel, 92-96 are black), and a 91-93 gate from a Caprice. The 94-96 gate latches are a little different.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Last December 2011 in NY state they use to total a car once it hit 60% but have bumped that number up to 75% within the last year since to many cars were getting totalled.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm more concerned about the wood trim wagons. Most of that trim is unavailable and is an automatic total as a result. I recently passed on a very very clean '94 RMW because it had a big dent in the left rear fender and the amount of work to make it look right was basically a total.

I would honestly feel better driving a no-wood wagon around. Then it's just paint and bodywork.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 11:05 am

Dave, I would highly recoomend you get Shamoo appraised and look for an Agreed value policy for it. My Mom's mint 1 of 500 Jaguar was totaled backin October from the rear. She is STILL fighting with the insurance co for the other party. The collector value on the limited edition car per NADA is 11,500. After three months of arguing with the insurance company they have gone from 3000 to about 5000, using 'like cars that currentyl for sale'. Well considering they only made 800 of them and 500 the year hers was built there aren't many for sale. I did find two that sold at auction this year (Meecum, and RM) for 7K and 8.5K, but the insurance companies don't recognize auctions as they say usually auctions are for chairity and drive the price up. Didn't want to hear that collector car auctions are not for chairity. Anyway, I had prodded her to get the agreed value and she didn't pursue it and through no fault of her own, she's getting ripped off by Allstate.

As for availability of parts. As the cars age and more are crushed....wagon specific parts will become harder to come by. I did a production number thread somewhere around here and if I recall correctly, there was about 110-120K total wagons of the bubble years. vs. millions of sedans. Considering the Olds only had about 11K units built, they are the hardest to get parts for. Of course most mechanicals are the same and anything from the B-pillar forward is the same on a sedan (with a couple of minor differences), so mechanically, it's easy.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Not sure if you saw my other thread - got rear ended and had some minor damage. Basically needed a new bumper cover and new hydraulic bumper piston on one side. No damage to tail gate or anything else. Insurance totaled the wagon since paint, bumper cover, rental car, etc. would have been more than $3,000.

I am currently driving it unrepaired since it is just not worth the cost and I have not had time to deal with it myself.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Praying to the wagon gods...   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 pm

koopa wrote:
Amen,Brother...afro 
Back to top Go down
bigbluey88

bigbluey88

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 pm

God its saddening to see those cars like that especially the cutlass wagon(front end looks similar to my custom cruiser) and the white custom cruiser both still look beautiful
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Get a spare car. They are cheap right now & fairly plentiful. So get a spare or 2 & you'll be all set.
Of course you need a place to park them.
Back to top Go down
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:22 am

I wish a place like that was in California, for some reason the B-Body isn't as popular on the west coast. I might buy a 92' OCC. I am going to get a Buick speedometer and put it in so it will work. It has a new transmission. hopefully i can find a Roadmaster interrior to put in it. Do you know of any places in So Cal that part those cars?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 am

You may be able to replace the circuit board on the back of the cluster and retain the original face of the OCC cluster. The RM cluster is a lot more plain looking. You can use the circuit board from either a sedan or wagon. I have also seen a few OCC clusters available on the forum from time to time, if you do not want to delve into the circuit board replacement. If you do swap the whole cluster, I would like you old OCC cluster.

If you can get the spare cover and right D pillar from a 93 RMW, they fit a lot better than the originals. The difference that requires the D pillar is where the latch/thumb screw is located was changed in 93. They still made the Dark Maple Red in 93, as well as the Dark Sapphire Blue and I believe they made Camel too. There are some Ruby Red, and Dark Tan RMW interiors in 93, so make sure your colors match. I believe the storage compartment will fit better as well,, and I would get the D pillar for that side just to make sure the parts work together.

If you get the standard RMW front passenger seat with the electric recline, the connector for the recline function is already in the OCC. You just have to hook it up.
Back to top Go down
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks Fred Kiehl. I will most likely just swap it. I can't wait till I get myself that OCC. The body work is in great shape. It' rides very smooth too!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 am

Swapping the circuit board only takes about 15 minutes. The only caution you have is that the screws need to go back into the original threads, or they will strip out.
Back to top Go down
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 am

Ok, I'll see what I can do. Hopefully the mechanic I'm buying the wagon from will do that. Ok I'm just worried that he will mess up and I will now have two busted speedometers.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 am

I would worry more about the mechanic removing the dash front. It is easy to break the pins that hold the woodgrain to the colored part. I remove the glove box door to make it easy to remove the tang behind the left door stop arm. The access panel under the steering column must be removed first, so that you do not break the clips on the top of it. There is also a screw above the parking brake release handle under the edge of the dash. This is are large fragile part made brittle by age and sun exposure. If you have trouble getting the glovebox light to go out, you can adjust the door at the hinge.

I have extra boards if you break one. I had a tach and a speedo go crazy, and have since disassembled and reassembled numerous clusters without breaking one. The circuit board has sockets for pins at every gauge. Work gently, and they will come apart. You should also check or replace all of the bulbs while you have it out. It is not fun taking it apart again to change a burned out bulb.

You can swap the odometer while you have it apart, to maintain the correct mileage on your car. The RM and OCC odometers are identical.
Back to top Go down
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to let the Mechanic know about the board and hopefully he can put the OCC speedometer back in. I'm the kind of guy that loves original parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How "fixable" are our wagons?   How "fixable" are our wagons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How "fixable" are our wagons?
Page 1 of 1