GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Empty
PostSubject: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Is it normal to idle at 5? my oil gauge go's to 0 under 10 rpm, says low oil and I hope its just the sending units.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:21 pm

The only way you can tell if you have adequate oil pressure at this point is to hook up a mechanical gauge in place of the sender. They are not too expensive. My idle on my 350 will sometimes go to 500 rpm, but it is supposed to idle at 650. It could be your IAC, or a clogged passage/dirty pintle. The gauge in the car is not always calibrated correctly. 5 psi may actually be more. You do have to be mindfull of the oil pressure in a 305, they have been known to have low pressure. the low pressure light is probably accurate, although if you can get it to idle a little higher, it should be OK. Your chime should go off if you have one, when the light comes on. There is a possibility that the sender is worn out, so replacing it is cheap and easy, just make sure you get the one for the gauge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I bought the sender for the light. the gauge one is in the oil pan, i did'nt buy that one yet.

Ill tap the iac to see if it jumps. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm

The gauge one is not in the oil pan. The level sender is in the oil pan. The gauge is run by the same one that works the light, although it is not the same type that only works the light. The one that works the gauge is longer than the one that only works the light, but screws into the same place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 pm

I cant even find it. haha. Its on top of the oil filter?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 am

It is above the oil filter, and slightly behind it.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am

My OCC usually idles at 600 in drive, but keep in mind those tachometers are known for failing, and giving off readings, so your tach may just be off a little. I wouldn't go by anything a factory tach in these cars says, I'd check it with a mechanic's tach or an OBD computer for a truly accurate reading.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Its about 600. i re checked. it just drops alot. worn cable maybe. thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Tach is electronic, no cable.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Had that happen on my 92. Turns out it was the sender. Replaced it and it's been fine ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Well thats good news for me mike. Every passenger I get is yelling at me your car is going to die. check your oil!! lol

I hear its common.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 pm

When my 305 did that, I replaced it with a pick and pull 350. The engine cost me abut $400.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:43 pm

No Fred dont say that! cheep for a 350 tho,
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am

Sometimes real possibilities must be faced. Replacing a sick engine with good used one is often the answer, and if you can get an upgrade at the same time, that is a good thing. There are alot of good used 91-93 350s out there.

Most people do not like to look at real issues. I would like to get on my soapbox, and start about the government right now, but I will save it for another time.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 am

FWIW Carl, my OCC has never always idled at a constant speed. It seems that when the motors cold it's speed at idle goes up and down slightly. Let us know how it goes with the oil lights thing. I know the 305 was known for oil pressure troubles, but the TBI 350 didn't seem to be affected by oil pressure problems much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.   rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rpm go's under 10 and all oil lights go on.
Page 1 of 1