GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stripping the wagon for new paint

Go down 
+16
BigBlackBeaSSt
Sprocket
MarkH
phantom 309
jimbeau
93RMW
toomanytoyz
brokecello
92cappy
81X11
200OZ
1993 Roady-man
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
buickestate
roadmastercouple
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

stripping the wagon for new paint Empty
PostSubject: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm

ok i started stripping the trim and woodgrain of my rmw for the new paint soon took a couple pics. thank you to everyone who has posted tips on this subject in the past it saved alot of trouble. first i pulled off all the trim and used aircraft remover to strip the old paint off.stripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain020stripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain019stripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain021used a buffer and neverdullstripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain022[img][/img] sorry for the bad pics*my dog tinkerbell had to helpstripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain018stripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain013one bad spotstripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain008 robyns helping tostripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain002stripping the wagon for new paint Stipwoodgrain004i will post more pics as the project goes on
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm

a heat gun and you can strip the all the wood off in under an hour......
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Stripping that wood trim is fun, I only did half of my RMW last fall. That stuff sure looks good polished though.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 am

buickestate wrote:
a heat gun and you can strip the all the wood off in under an hour......
Yeah read it would be quicker told robyn i was going to get one but she said she will strio it by hand while im at work to save some money but thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 am

new wood grains not in the budget so were painting it a dark blue metallic effect all over then just putting the polised trim back on no badges just 2 chrome grocery getter limited edition stickers "thank you brewber" on rear quarter panels where the roadmaster estate badges were
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:00 am

I dig it. Smile Cool to see Robyn helping out.

The day I get my girlfriend to pick up a wrench, scraper, light, or any other tool, I will look to the sky for pigs. Sad
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 am

i told her she could help me or we could pay the body shop to do it before they paint it. i said were saving money this way and shes all for it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 am

Ray we all know your girlfriend is a guy and dont deny it! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 am

A heat gun is only $10 at harbor freight.

Make sure you keep all the nylon inserts for the holes in the fender and other places. They are impossible to find new. They may have come of with the pins on the trim. If they did you may have a difficult time reinserting them. Just be careful, you are hereby warned.

One small note of humor: on the back of the Aircraft Paint Remover, the caution section says it is not for use on aircraft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Ray we all know your girlfriend is a guy and dont deny it! lol!

No sir. LOL

Fred - that's funny.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:38 am

so the taillights are smarter than me???? two screws right??? wont come off. grrrrrrr cant get the trim under it off either any suggestions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

Two screws on the front, then remove your spare tire cover and there's a wing nut back there. For the driver's side, lift out the storage compartment on the left side and there's another wing nut. Be careful putting them back in, it's easy to break the studs that the wing nuts bolt onto.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 am

ok thanks stingaroo brb.............
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am

sweet got it
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

First off congrats on having a woman that will work on a car. So are you just giving it a fresh look or color change?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:58 pm

color change, wanted something different was thinking about a little darker blue with some cherry wood grain but the wood grain is out of the budget so its going to be dark blue metallic with no badges on itjust the chrome grocery getter limited edition stickers i got from brewber might run four or five 1/4 inch siler pinstipes running longways um parallel to the chrome trim to break the blue up
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Hey man, I don't know if your married or not, but her favorite color is chrome, and she is helping you strip the wood stickers off your car...... cheers Give her a ring..... Never mind I see her ring(s), go give her a big hug. Wink

Keep it up! Can't wait to see it when you get it finished.

Mike
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 pm

yup married since 07 i picked a real keeper
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 am

Nice to see the girlfriend helping out. My girlfriend used to help me with my car projects....then I put a ring on her finger and that stopped....along with other things.

Food for thought!! No

Back in the good old days...hahahaha
stripping the wagon for new paint Sacns_0035

Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 pm

ok so maaco wants to remove the (luggage rack) when they paint my car when i heard that i instantly felt like it a bad idea because THERE ARE NO LEAKS from the rack and im scared that removing it could make it start leaking
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:10 pm

ready for maacostripping the wagon for new paint Car019stripping the wagon for new paint Car020
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:12 pm

stopped by macco today they wouldnt let us in the shop but the dude used my camera for a pic he didnt know how to use it so its a short film Very Happy stripping the wagon for new paint Th_car021
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:37 pm

That is some blue! What trim are you putting back on? Lookin' good so far.

Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm

That's a bright blue. Looking forward to seeing it back together.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm

im planning on putting all the trim back on i like how it looks now but all the reverse rivitts are on it so its got to go back on
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Cool and wow that is blue.
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Slick! That blue will turn heads! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 pm

it gonna be very eye catching when im done thats for sure
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Wow does that look great!Sure not wasting any time fixing it up.Can I ask what Macco charged
for the paintjob?Moe Pics please!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Can't wait to see it in good light! Cool color. Smile
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 am

Well we went ahead and got the door jams done so that brought the price up alot. Igot the $599 paint job half of special for $299. Then 75 for color change. $100 extra for each doorjam, $275 surface recondition, $40 for supplies, and $157 for body labor. A grand total of $1346.88
Will post more pics when i pick it up monday or tuesday. i have been polishing the top trim pieces they look decent.
the po took the black strips of the belt trim and scratched it up badly but im going to make do with it i have some that are beyond repair bent up i posted a thread in the wanted section. cant wait till i see it in person up close.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 am

It's amazing how a $299 paint job can turn into over $1300. I hope they wet-sand it and warranty it for a long time!
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 am

4 year warrenty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 am

Hope it turns out nice and you guys are happy with their work.The local Macco down here has
a pretty bad reputation and is not a fan of the BBB.
Back to top Go down
93RMW

93RMW

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

What did you use to remove the adhesive after peeling the wood grain off the body?

Any trouble with paint after?

I just did the same and by the advise of my body shop left it. They said they would strip it chemically however now claim they are sanding it off? It doesn't make sense so wanted to see how it worked out for you.

Your shop also recommended to pull the roof rack, I had to beg mine to pull mine.

I don't have mine back yet but already regretting my decision.
Back to top Go down
93RMW

93RMW

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:33 pm

roadmastercouple wrote:
Well we went ahead and got the door jams done so that brought the price up alot. Igot the $599 paint job half of special for $299. Then 75 for color change. $100 extra for each doorjam, $275 surface recondition, $40 for supplies, and $157 for body labor. A grand total of $1346.88
Will post more pics when i pick it up monday or tuesday. i have been polishing the top trim pieces they look decent.
the po took the black strips of the belt trim and scratched it up badly but im going to make do with it i have some that are beyond repair bent up i posted a thread in the wanted section. cant wait till i see it in person up close.

I also am going to a local maaco and got about the same quote but for the Color/Clear $999.00 paint. However I know the owner, and manager, so I think that made a difference. My only regret is that knowing them, they are taking longer than I like and its hard to press when I know I am getting a deal.

Ultimately as long as it looks good, I'll be happy.

I'm replacing my wood grain and that's another 800 for vinyl and another 300 to install.
Back to top Go down
93RMW

93RMW

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 pm

roadmastercouple wrote:
stopped by macco today they wouldnt let us in the shop but the dude used my camera for a pic he didnt know how to use it so its a short film Very Happy stripping the wagon for new paint Th_car021

Nice color,

when you put the trim back on, are you going to put in a 2nd color? Solid color vinyl would be more affordable than paint or wood grain and might look neat.

How long did it take?

I'm into my 2nd week. As my only daily driver its a pain. Glad I can work remotely during this time.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

81X11 wrote:
It's amazing how a $299 paint job can turn into over $1300. I hope they wet-sand it and warranty it for a long time!
If I was going to paint it nearly the same color, I'd skip the door jambs & save $400. Who is gonna care?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 pm

we used turtle wax sticker remover bought it at auto zone it worked great u have to spray it on let it sit for few min. then wipe it took 2 bottles
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:12 pm

it took maaco 5 days they called today said its done
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

roadmastercouple wrote:

It,s not even my car,. and i,m a little bit excited,. some shiney rims a little pinstripe and i think the car could be good,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm

ooooooo..... lookin' good. are you putting the "wood" back on?
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Done meaning buffed too?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 pm

I am cautiously optimistic and hoping for the best!
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
roadmastercouple wrote:

It,s not even my car,. and i,m a little bit excited,. some shiney rims a little pinstripe and i think the car could be good,.

Nick
ok so ive got a friend in arkansas that has a set of rims think he said they are american racing "STAR" style 15 in rims giving them to me for free because he is going to start restoring his 80ish chevy pickup they were on he just want my steel ones to put on it till hes done the resto.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 pm

MarkH wrote:
ooooooo..... lookin' good. are you putting the "wood" back on?
no wood going to reinsall buffed trim and maybe put pin stripes on it where the grain was. 4 or 5 silver/chrome pinstripes to break up the blue where the wood grain was
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Done meaning buffed too?
for 1300 i sure hope so. if not im going to need some tips from the vets on here
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Ok, now you're fired. This long and STILL no good pics???? You can host em with a cell phone now for Pete's sake!!!!

Last edited by toomanytoyz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
roadmastercouple wrote:

Nick

I'm with him....got excited seeing a new post...hoping for pics!! Wink

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stripping the wagon for new paint   stripping the wagon for new paint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stripping the wagon for new paint
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next