GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scoffman

scoffman

Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Empty
PostSubject: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (Ms. Roadie), I've only had her since December 2011. I noticed oil leaking around the rear driver side intake manifold bolts. I decided to replace the intake manifold gaskets. Long story short. . . I have the intake off the vehicle and I'm in the process of cleaning it up. The gaskets were replaced before and I think they did a "crappy" job hence the oil leaks around the mounting bolts. Anyway. My main question is, I Have the FeltPro gasket set, are these a dry fit gasket, or will I need to use some gasket sealer? I have the Edelbrock Gasgacinch sealer but I don't know if I need to use it? Needless to say this is my first time doing an intake. What a Face

Thanks,
Shawn
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Personally, I always use a thin layer of synthetic grease when joining any two parts (except for head gaskets & the magical opti), just so the parts & gaskets can do some last minute 'alignment' as they are being torqued down. The best example I can give for doing this is (for instance) when you step out of the shower all squeaky clean, and then notice that your sphincter feels... uhhh, 'uncomfortable' because of 'misalignment' of vital polyps and no lube to allow proper 'settling in', if you catch my drift. Glad I could help. - Jim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:31 pm

lay a good sized bead front and back rails, put the gaskets on, then add a dab in all four corners, let the silicone get a dry to the touch skim on it,. then set the intake on,.

Nick

deja vu?? 1-8-4-3-,...........
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:54 pm

WOW! guess I should have spell checked better. 'face-palm' Gasget???

Anyways. . .What about the distributor gaskets are they dry fit?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

scoffman wrote:
WOW! guess I should have spell checked better. 'face-palm' Gasget???

Anyways. . .What about the distributor gaskets are they dry fit?

Gasget,.yes dry will work.

Nick
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:23 am

And don't forget to let it cure for 24hrs before running it!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 pm

95BRMW wrote:
And don't forget to let it cure for 24hrs before running it!

eh????
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Really? When I did the intake on my sedan, I drove it back home about an hour after getting it back together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Never heard of letting the sealant cure for 24 hours before.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 7:39 pm

I heard on the SS forum to let the RTV cure for a day before driving it, could be Unnecessary though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Probably another TBI hater! lol!
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Okay guys. I getting ready to pull the trigger on this girl and get her back together. Now the service manual says to install the gaskets then put the RTV on. Nick (Phantom 309) you say RTV first then gasket. does it really matter which one goes on first? It looks like if I put the RTV on first it might hold the gaskets on the heads better. What say you?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 pm

well at the risk of you not understanding fully or doing something wrong and then blaming things on me,.here's what i do,.

i usually put a very fine smear around the 4 water ports,(0.005) stick the gasket on,. then lay front and rear beads, let them skim up,. then lay the intake on,.if the intake gaskets look like they're going to move a bit,. i use a couple of bolts in the 4 centre holes till they are stuck ok,.then remove them and and drop the intake on,.
YRMV
NWEOI
DSAOR

Nick
If it,s on the SS forum,. it must be gospel.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 am

It's cool I smeared some RTV around the front water ports and a spot of RTV between the bolt hole and rear water port to hold the gasket in place. Then I did the bead of RTV on the front and back of the block extending 1/2-1" up on the gaskets. The intake's back on and tightened down. I just have to finsih attaching everything else tomorrow.

Thanks for the help/Info,
Shawn
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Okay the intake is back on and car runs without any leaks. I'm still not finished though. I've got to finish the coolant flush, and figure out why my timing mark is not in the right spot. I will start another thread for this though.

Thanks for all the help and information.
Shawn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI   Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing Intake Manifold Gasget TBI
Page 1 of 1