GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....

Go down 
+4
200OZ
jayoldschool
1993 Roady-man
gmtech
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gmtech

gmtech

Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Empty
PostSubject: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm looking to purchase a machine buffer/polisher or whatever you want to call it. Are there any preferences of a certain brand/model over another? If so, why? I'm not looking for a one time use tool, I want it to last for awhile. Of course, not using any tool will qualify most tools under the "awhile" time frame. Orbital motion vs. plain ole circular motion? Or just break down and use good ole elbow grease?

I know this next query depends on how much material is to be removed, heavy oxidation vs. light oxidation, but what type of pad is recommended for medium to light buffing. I want to bring back to life a non-clear coated finish. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a lacquer paint. Paint is very flat and I would like to bring the shine back out of it. Getting ready to sell the vehicle, could actually use a fresh coat of paint, but this method is cheaper.

With all that being said, what are the recommended compounds used to cut the oxidation? Brand: 3M, Meguiars, DuPont, etc??? Usage: light cut compound with a foam pad or ???, you get the picture.

Thanks for the help. I know my brother Jarrod could answer this in a PM, but thought it could be useful for some others too.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Dewalt DW849 variable speed buffer is all you need. and then buy 3M Perfect-It Compound and Polish Kit Buffing Pad Foam 05725 39062 39061 39062 Everything is color coded for you and numbered 1 2 3. That easy. And this stuff works great especially on black cars.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I would suggest the Porter Cable 7424XP and an assortment of Lake Country pads. You don't really need a Dewalt unless you are going to colour sand. I use Meguiars Ultimate (compound and polish), just because it is easy to get anywhere. It is pretty much the same as 105 and 205.

If you want to get into detailing, and blow your mind with more info than you ever thought you needed, start looking at autogeek.net. Autogeek Forum
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:04 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
I would suggest the Porter Cable 7424XP and an assortment of Lake Country pads. You don't really need a Dewalt unless you are going to colour sand. I use Meguiars Ultimate (compound and polish), just because it is easy to get anywhere. It is pretty much the same as 105 and 205.

If you want to get into detailing, and blow your mind with more info than you ever thought you needed, start looking at autogeek.net. Autogeek Forum

X2, it's almost idiot proof too. Go to youtube, and type in junkman, great videos.

Mike
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Meguiars G110V2
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:19 am

I would use the PC7424 and Lake Country pads with the Meguires 105/205

Single stage paint you say?

1987 BMW 3-series

Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... 107

and in the front you can see the 7424

Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... 110

The DeWalt (or any rotary buffer) is an aggressive tool for a specific job, kinda like a sledge hammer. The 7424 is less aggressive (say, standard hammer) and will take more time with the PC, but the end result will be better. The rotary will leave massive holograms and micro-marring. In other words, it will *look* buffed. The 7424 won't.

As for pads, the 5.5-6 inch are the best "all around" size, but I prefer the smaller diameters for ease of speed/pressure control.

Lake country pads are color coded with how aggressive the pad is. Orange/White/Grey (or black, same pad) are the only 3 you need.

I also have a Cyclo polisher with a bunch of new pads for $300, all new, never used and I'll even throw in 4oz each of the "1,2,3" but this may be both out of your price range and more tool than you need. http://cyclotoolmakers.com/Model_5.php
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:15 am

Cyclo polisher is the way to go. I bought one for my Airstream (future project). Used it on the the worn out paint on my 58 Cadillac. No swirls with dual random orbital heads.
Dick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 11:13 am

jayoldschool wrote:

200OZ wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

X2, it's almost idiot proof too. Go to youtube, and type in junkman, great videos.

Mike

X3.................. The Junkman is the Man!!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:05 pm

I also use the PC with no handle. Right after I got it, I got about halfway through a panel, and realized that it had to go.

For pads, I went orange/white/blue. The orange with Megs compound is awesome on single stage!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 2:15 pm

X4 on the junkman,I watched all his vids when I first got my 7424XP.He explains everything he
is doing and really makes it easy to understand.Recommend watching his early vids first,the
ones for beginners!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Great information guys! I will be taking all this into consideration when I purchase a buffer/polisher. The "Cyclo" polisher, like you said Krzdimond, may be a little bit of an overkill for what I need. Nice job on the BMW.

Seems as though all the package deals come in at just under the $300 mark from autogeek, at least the ones I am considering. I might as well get a turn-key setup.

Junkman vids have some good info, but I think he likes to hear himself talk. I did sit and watch them though.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:52 pm

The PC is considerably more cost effective at about 1/2 the cost, but the Cyclo is MUCH better built.

Do your research before you dump your hard earned cash on Autogeek. There are better options/ sellers. About the Junkman,. the information is good but Adam's Polishes are nothing more than over priced repackaged products. He (Adam) makes nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....   Buffer, polisher, elbow grease.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buffer, polisher, elbow grease....
Page 1 of 1