GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Backing plates.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:20 am

Hello there everybody.I bought a rear disc brake conversion kit from summit racing part number SUM-BK1325.They have it listed for 71-96 GM 10 and 12 bolt differentials.They dont' show in the notes any exception for wagons,so I went ahead and ordered one for my 94 caprice wagon.So long story short they didn't fit the axle's bolt pattern.For some reason GM decided to make the distance between those bolts wider than the sedans, so none of the holes on the kit's plate will match the wagons.The good news is I made them fit,and now I am in the process of building new plates to use with those kits,so everybody thinking on do the conversion,can have another option aside from KORE3 kits.I am gonna be posting pictures so everybody will see the final installation.Anyone interested on the plates can send me a message and those will be the first ones to be contacted by me, as soon as they are available.Prices will be set as soon as the final product is made and tested.Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Here in Syracuse, if you have a year-round driver, drum rear brakes are the only way to roll due to corrosion concerns. I applaud your efforts though!
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Syracuse is in the snow belt. Much salt. The drum brakes are probably more dependible.
I lived in Syracuse. They do have a lot of snow! Cool thing with the adapters.

Randy
Back to top Go down

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Wow that sucks!,our wagons with drums and impala ss rims or any other open rim dont' look good.Anyway I'm not gonna build the plates.They would be more expensive that what I thought,and my intentions were to help not to make a buck .But anyone interested in adapting the summit kit plates on the wagons I'll say 100% it can be done.No rocket science.I'll be finishing installing them tomorrow and then I'll post the pictures.Thanks. cheers
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Just make a template diagram then post it. Lots of us can cut stuff out of aluminum and steel
Back to top Go down

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:30 pm

There is no way for me to post pictures here in the forum,so the solution is this:
1-You buy kit from summit racing.The one I got was SUM-BK1325.
2-Take axles out,and remove drums and backing plates.
3-Take the plates that comes with the kit,place them on the axle,and mark the holes location,using the stock bolts with some kind of paint on the tip to mark the location on the plates.The top holes are gonna be 3.75 inches apart center to center.The lower 3.00 inches,and from top to bottom 2.5 inches.
4-Take the plates out and take it to a machine shop to drill the holes and also the center needs to be bored out like 1/64.I took a piece of cardboard and made a template,and took it with me to the machine shop.Got charged $40.00 bucks for everything.
Like I said before this is not rocket science, just common sense,and patience.If anyone needs a picture of the actual plates with detailed measurements just send me your email.Take care.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Backing plates. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backing plates.   Backing plates. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Backing plates.
Page 1 of 1