GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Power of the Dark Side...

Go down 
+5
phantom 309
94X2
jimbeau
jayoldschool
Sprocket
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

The Power of the Dark Side... Empty
PostSubject: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I am being pulled to the dark side and I willingly embrace it!
This is the suspeneded animation chamber that she has lived in since 1996.

I'm off for the next 10 days and it'll be at my house before I have to go back to work

The Power of the Dark Side... 101_1531
Standard 302 - 2V (assuming 2 valves? haven't looked it up yet, I'm so ignorant about Ford engines)

The Power of the Dark Side... 101_1534
105K one owner miles...look a Chilton's manual WOOT!

The Power of the Dark Side... 101_1544
Original paint - Lime Frost

The Power of the Dark Side... 101_1546
I got a lot of crap to move before she's free.

My wife's Mom, bought new in 1968 in El Paso, moved to Laffayette, Louisiana then on to South Florida in the mid 70s. Have never seen the underside of it.

Originally a vinyl roof, rust holes in the usual places. Hood pretty thin up front.
302 - 2V, C4 auto, 2.79 rear. Nothing special, but it is an XR7.....1 of 32,709. Doubt it has any special options on it, but the vin doesn't show any.

It's very straight, never in an accident. Hoping to get it going fairly easily and drive it like it is, maybe fix the rust up a bit and get some newer rims as it has all four factory hubcaps.

Then if I hit the lotto, do full on resto mod, ha ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:48 pm

My biggest challege will be making my two car garage able to hold two!!! May have to rent a warehouse for a bit...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Believe it stood for a 2 venturi as in 2 barrel carb and thats my favorite body style Cougar!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm

yup it means 2 bbl.....well we can fix that easy enough and some headers and flowmasters and a cam, and.....ha ha ha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Hmmmmm... fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

In HS a senior girl had a 68 cougar with a 390 and aC-6 and I believe it had small GTA emblems on it.Anyway
I had a 67 Mustang so thats all I needed to ask her out.She saw right thru that and told me to just ask for
the keys and get it over with.Car had a major traction problem when the road was wet.Her car was all white
with no vinyl and a maroon interior that was beautiful.Did mercury ever offer the cougar with a real leather
interior?It had a very nicely done interior,I remember that well!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm

1. get running.
2. torque thrusts
3. don't touch body. Don't even wash it.
4. be cool
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

^^^ Ignore #3. Save that thing! XR7 was a trim upgrade with hide-away headlights, IIRC... and it has AC which was a BIG deal back then. If the frame is in good shape, it's worth putting some effort into. There aren't a whole lotta survivors out there today. With a little TLC, that thing will be a fun cruiser; should get over 20 mpg.

and if you ain't feelin' much love for it, shoot me a price.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:59 pm

and more pics, once you get it out of the cubbyhole it's in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Up until recently cougars were such an underdog and you could pick them up cheap because the
mustang was the musthave!Times have changed and now the 1st gen cougars are going up in value fast.Since it is a one owner family heirloom RESTORE it and screw this rust and flat paint
craze.If the car is solid underneath make it nice please!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Umm, you guys are missing my point with #3. If it is just going to be patched up, I like #3. If he is going full resto, ignore #3. I'm not condoning flat paint.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 9:55 pm

To Jims point, that is why it has sat there for so long. When I got serious with my wife, it wasn't worth getting it going as I have to dump 2-3X it's finished value to get it where it should be. Honestly, though I wish I woulda at least got it running, so I'd have alot less work to do.

The plan is that it'll be staying around a good long while.

1. Get it running and clean it up.
2. Get some new rims and tires (I'd love a set of period correct slot mags)
3. Drive it
4. Fix the rust while enjoying it.
5. Paint it down the road.

Parts catalog already in the mail, lol.

Of course this all has to mixed in with the Healey and getting Jade back together and on the road (hot rod wagon).
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Oh geez, I just found Restomod magazine for mustangs......ooooo t-56 ha ha
I just saw one for a stang on CL a few weeks back for only 800.....the wheels go round and round baw haw haw
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 10:19 pm

I guess this is what it's supposed to look like, lime frost metallic

The Power of the Dark Side... DSC00904
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:49 am

Sprocket wrote:
To Jims point, that is why it has sat there for so long. When I got serious with my wife, it wasn't worth getting it going as I have to dump 2-3X it's finished value to get it where it should be. Honestly, though I wish I woulda at least got it running, so I'd have alot less work to do.

1. Get it running and clean it up.
2. Get some new rims and tires (I'd love a set of period correct slot mags)
3. Drive it
4. Fix the rust while enjoying it.
5. Paint it down the road.
Gordon is right! Don't think though, that you MUST spend big bucks and make it cherry. That seldom happens because it is just too expensive and daunting a task. Don't let the "numbers matching" loons preach to you. The big thing to do to it (to show your love) is to arrest (that means stop) the rust from spreading and protect the metal, after cleaning it up first of course. I can recommend the Westwood rust arrestor spray paint because its so easy to use an not expensive as hell like POR-15. Oh yes, and it wipes off your skin, unlike the demonic POR. Anywhere you take off a door panel, roof liner, etc., spray that rust paint on any questionable, 'inside' sheet metal. Westwood doesn't give you a tube, so I made my own from 1/8" tubing super-glued to the nozzle for 'distance' accuracy. You can run the tube into any access holes in the frame to coat the normally inaccessible inside-of-the-'boxed-in' areas of the frame. Frames rust from the inside too, not just the outside.
Lastly, please don't phuck it up like soooo many idiots do to beautiful old survivors around here: Jack it up (like in that last pic), cut it up, and put some monster, undriveable pos engine in it trying to be the baddest ass on the planet. All you will succeed in doing is making it so un-enjoyable to drive that it will sit in your garage for 360+ days a year. Making it a fun, weekend cruiser is the way to enjoy it. You will have a pretty unique ride., and chicks will still want to fellate you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Wow,someone actually agreed with me and I guess I should go back and read what I said.Yes
I forgot what I said and for those of you who think thats funny,your time is coming!
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Nice!!! I ended up selling mine when I was unemployed for a period. Once you get it out of there post some more pics.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm hip Jimbeau. gonna stop the rust, and put stockish size tires on it. I kinda like the late model stang rims (torw thrusty looking) and I know I can pick up a set of take offs in my limited mod budget.

1. driveable is #1 on the list
2. start Chemo on the rust
3. enjoy while #2
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:05 pm

The (crappy) pics you posted show what looks like a pretty decent interior. You'll be surprised at how light the thing feels & handles.

PICS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm

First thing you do is get that mold out of the interior as it could be bad for your lungs.Just parking
it outside in the sun with the doors open will help.Probably much nicer inside than you think.That
is such a great project to keep in your family and get back in running condition.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Mold is easy. Buy a can of Lysol aerosol disinfectant and empty the can on everything inside of the car.
It doesn't stain... or remain... (I'm a poet). You can almost soak the fabric areas if you have to.
Close the winders & doors to incubate the area. A day later... no mo' mold or stink!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Clean as much mold out as you can because the propellent in Lysol is potent enough to do damage before it evaporates!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:03 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Clean as much mold out as you can because the propellent in Lysol is potent enough to do damage before it evaporates!
This is news to me
Please share. I want to learn.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:05 am

... and another 'senior moment' rears it's ugly head.
When I said "Westwood Rust Encapsulator", it turns out that I meant: "Eastwood Rust Encapsulator".
I must have been thinking of that cool old movie: "Eastworld".
or maybe the actor: Clint Westwood.
This info should make it easier to find... duh.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Well I went to the crypt and made some progress unburying the car tonight. I took my 25 gal compressor with me and pumped up the tires. They took and seemed to hold air. we shall see tomorrow when I go back.

Aggressive schedule tomorrow includes renting Uhaul, emptying my garage and then the other house, AND getting the car towed to my place (may get put off for another day or so).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Sorry I took so long to get back to you jimbeau.What I meant about the Lysol is that it will dry
out the leather by completely removing all the protective oils.Probably not a big worry on leather
in good shape but be careful on any spots where the leather is cracking.I prefer to park the car outside on a hot sunny day with all the windows up tight to get rid of as much mold as possible before using the Lysol.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Roger that. I have never owned leather; hence the ignorance on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 10:23 pm

10-4 good buddy! Suspect
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Don't get all squinty-eyed on me. I ain't no fan of leather, and I buy old cars which, in the past, have gone to the yard after I was through with them. Tears were shed at times.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 am

Lime frost green,...

only ford would think up such a cool description for Urine green.

Nick
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:57 am

What about that puke colored, 50's 'Seafoam' green?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

actually I found out last night the car had been repainted and even uglier color of green than original and non metallic. glad it's shitty, cuz the piss green in the trunk is better looking. It's a low budget re-animation, so may go spray cans for the first year. we shall see.

Tires are holding air. got half my garage cleaned out, still not enough room, but getting closer. This weekend it'll be here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Don't go cans. Do it how I did. You'll be happier with the result, and you already own a big compressor. Hell, I can even give you the HFT sprayer that Crovo uses, all you need is paint and some thinner.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 am

That looks like my GTO when I pulled it out of it's garage hibernation. Cougars are cool, like the hidden headlights and sequential tail lights.

Even if you don't have the resto funds, stuff like this makes great garage art!! I know! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Well I got shot down by AAA today. Twice I had my wife's dead mitsubishi towed with expired plates and never was asked for a registration, they just showed up and towed it where I wanted it (I have 100 miles towing on my policy). I also bought a 1965 Dodge pickup and drove it two blocks and had it towed 30+ miles home.

Today when I called, they asked alot of questions about make, model, why I needed a tow.
The agent asked me if it ran fine when I parked it. I replied, "Yes, it ran fine when it was parked, and now it won't start." Well it was parked in Dec 1996.

So the tow truck guy shows up in 10 minutes! Great I think, until he tells me that he can't tow it as the plate is 15 years old. Goes on to say he's roadside assitance and DOT can fine him 1000 bucks for towing a non registered car. If he got caught he'd lose his job.

Of course I don't want anyone losing their job, so I waved bye bye and he left. I dunno, I figured he gets paid to tow the car so what should he care, but maybe they passed some new laws in the last couple of years.....

So now I'll find out if the trailer light socket works on Dusty as I have to go rent a uhaul trailer for 55 bucks.
the really sucky part was having to push it back up the driveway and into is hibernation chamber.

Good news is it rolled out of the garage and the brakes worked!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I have learned something today. If I want AAA to move a dead vehicle for me, I will make sure it has a current plate on it; legal or not.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 am

Damn straight switch the plate and call them back hehehe Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 am

Well in Florida putting a non registered plate to that vehicle on the car is a criminal offense.
I had to spend about 800 bucks for a lawyer/court costs and do 20 hrs of community service.
Mind you the judge wanted to give me 100 hours, but the lawyer money was well spent IMHO.
All that to move a car 10 miles, and had the 1 in 100 chance of a cop pulling me over for a random license check.

As for calling them back, the driver noted in his log why he couldn't complete the tow so that ain't gonna happen Sad
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Cougar in the den! pics to follow soon, it's late and I'm tired
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Okay so yesterday was the moving day. Got a trailer and hooked it up to Dusty.
Things went pretty smoothly with no surprises.

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0484
Been a few years since I pulled a trailer, but it's like riding a bike. I was worried the lights on the RMW wouldn't work with the trailer, but bought a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter at the marine store for 8 bucks and it worked like a champ! Hooray Industry standards!

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0485
Got spooked by the AAA guy and the rental agent for the trailer asking about current registratons,
so I took the 1996 plate off and found.....a 1980 LA plate that I couldn't get off!
It was kinda funny.

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0486
Only took 10 minutes to load it up. Got a dip in the driveway and it rolled pretty well.

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0487
Ready to roll. I was taking up the whole street and backed it up here a bit.

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0490
Thank goodness it's a southern car, all the rust is on top!

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0491

The Power of the Dark Side... IMG_0492
Meow, Kitty in the house. Doesn't even look like I have a wagon problem here.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Lucky you. NICE specimen.
No dents or rust on the bumpers or trim... dayum.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Why does it not give your location in the "Location" header?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 am

jimbeau wrote:
Lucky you. NICE specimen.
No dents or rust on the bumpers or trim... dayum.

Well the rocker panel trim on the passenger side is missing and some of the wheel well trim is dinged up, but over all she it pretty complete and straight. Driver's front corner isn't perfect as her Mom hit something at a bank (pole most likely) and the bumper and fender don't line up.

More pics of the rust issues etc. to follow.

Oh and hats off to Flash Gumby for helping out with the move (that's him in the second pic between the wagon and cougar).
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 am

jimbeau wrote:
Why does it not give your location in the "Location" header?

Fixed. Stupid auto password tool I have updated everything to Sprocket
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm

That wasn't really what I was going for, but screw it; I give up.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 pm

jimbeau wrote:
That wasn't really what I was going for, but screw it; I give up.

I live an hour north of Miami. While everything has a price, I seriously doubt my wife wants to part with it, being the first car her Mom ever bought.

Feel free to contact me offline if serious and I'll get you and her connected to discuss. It's her's not mine, I'm only going to make it go and then melt rubber off the rims with it Smile
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

That's what I was afraid of...
The butchering begins.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 pm

jimbeau wrote:
That's what I was afraid of...
The butchering begins.

there will be no butchering, trust me. subtle tasteful mods, no big ass motor, no ladder bars, no giggle juice, maybe a 4 barrel some tasteful rims (hopefully period correct), tint and paint someday. Nothing that can't be put back.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Maybe I spoke too soon.......I have a line on a full fiberglass front clip for under $100! Need to borrow a truck to go get it....I could make a front flip for it, that would be bitchin'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes! Yes yes yes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Power of the Dark Side...   The Power of the Dark Side... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Power of the Dark Side...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next