GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadE30

5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Empty
PostSubject: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 pm

I have a 1989 Caprice Classic wagon with the rather anemic Olds 307 V8 and a fairly worn out 200r4 automatic. The plan is to convert it to a 350 TBI and an nv3500 5-speed, as I just bought a cheap parts truck that has everything I need in relatively good shape. It's a winter beater, hauler, and road trip car; definitely not a show queen.

The wagon in question:

5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions 426136_10151386361010151_941005840_n

So I've been wondering what peoples' solutions here have been for adding a third pedal. I know most of the swap wagons are bubbles, but any idea if it would be similar? I'm pretty set on doing it either way, and I'll probably end up fabbing/welding my own brackets, but if there is an easier way, well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to hear about it haha.

Also, just for kicks and giggles, has anyone seen an NV3500 in a wagon? I have heard some people say that the trans is a bit weak, but given the vehicles they came in and the lack of firsthand failures I've seen, I wonder about that. It won't be abused much, and the TBI will only be mildly built, with intake, headers, that sort of thing. Think it will hold up? Not fit at all? The shifter will work fine because of the bench seat and such, and I know I'll have to do something custom with the driveshaft. The engine should be pretty simple to swap in.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

Well the floor pans in the bubbles and boxes are same as I know the carpets direct swap.
I'm fairly sure the two types of wagons are closer cousins than most think. I would then say any of the foot pedal swap stuff has to be pretty similar

I'm VERY interested in your build, as I've been wanting to do this on a TBI bubble wagon for awhile now, just never amassed the parts in question.
Back to top Go down
gearheadE30

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Hmm, okay. Having been underneath both they seem pretty similar, but I know some of the bracketry is a little different underneath. I think the bigger issue with the pedals will be that boxes have a much shorter dash and there is a nice big fuse block right where the pedal needs to go.

I will definitely keep everyone updated here, though I'm not sure when the actual build will start. I already have all of the parts, in the form of a 1989 Chevy C1500 scottsdale. Now it will just be a matter of finding time between work, school, and all the other stuff I do. At the earliest, I'll start disassembling and parting out the truck in mid August, followed by pulling the engine and trans from the wagon. The actual swap work will probably start a bit after that once I've cleared out some truck parts.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm

They had to make some changes in the floor to accommodate the converters.
Back to top Go down
gearheadE30

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 8:56 pm

would that affect the swap at all though? I know the trans mount and engine mounts are also a bit different, but I'll probably have to do a custom trans mount anyway. Most box caprices came with SBCs, so any of those engine mounts should work.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 pm

A few guys here are familiar with the swap or have done it theyselfs. Where IS Crovo?

For that matter, where IS Bewber?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions   5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5-speed swap-clutch pedal questions
Page 1 of 1