GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quarter glass

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 am

I just finished replacing both of my quarter glass panels, that were damaged by an unscrupulous person using a grinder during the welding of the roof rail holes. The removal was not all that bad, and the installation was not too bad either. The prep before installation was the most nerve wracking. You may find some rust under the urethane. If so, you are going to have to deal with it. I used some of the rust-to-primer type product. It take 24 hours before you can coat over it. You also have to use urethane primer before putting the panel in place, just in case you have some bare metal showing. One word of advice is to get some low viscocity urethane to make it easier to apply. The standard stuff is so thick, that it will take all of your strength to get out of the tube with a cauking gun.

The first window I took out required about 15 minutes of effort, and the other side made up for the ease of removal on the first side. It took me about an hour and a half. The troublesome areas were the front and rear bottom corners.

The only issues I had with installing were the rear vertical edges. If you tighten the nuts, the center will pull in, and the vent will not seal in that area. What I did was, install the nuts loosely, and latch the vent windows to hold the reveal in place. After the urethane sets, you can tighten the nuts a little more. The vent window will hold the reveal evenly to the contour of the vent window, so that you get a good seal.

I also replaced both the rear door glass for the same reason. I have to tackle the vista glass next. Of course now that I have all this glass in process, the heater core decides to spring a massive leak.

Once I get the vista window in, I will finally be able to put the headliner back in the car. It has been about 2 years since I have had a headliner, and I am getting excited. The guy who did the aforementioned grinding is supposed to pay for the headliner...we will see what happens.

So far it has taken me about a day and a half to get all the windows done, sans the vista, and most of that was waiting for the "rust-to-metal primer" to cure.

I tried to make a video of the process, but I am not having a good relationship with my camera. It can take an extended period to get the part out, and without a camera man to monitor the process, I get a lot of junk, or not enough to make it worthwhile. I will try it abain when another wagon shows up in the yard, and I can sneak my camera in.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks for all the information. This really helps all of us when we need it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 am

Good info Fred, especially about the letting the window seal set before tightening to maintain a good seal...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 pm

UPDATE...It rained yesterday morning, and there are NO leaks. This if the first time I have had no leaks since I bought the car.
Back to top Go down
MacMasterMike

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

OOhhhh just you wait it'll leak.

Nice work though and would certainly not mind seeing a video on the subject. Pretty sure all of my cars leak there in one form or another..
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Leaks sometimes come from the channel above the window as well. I sealed that too.
Back to top Go down

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks Fred for the info.Been wooried about any rust I may have up there.Whenever it rains
the small storage pocket directly under the drivers side rear wing glass fills up with water.The area around it stays dry though and tomorrow I am going to pull the lockable storage area and inspect the fenderwell for hopefully no rust.
Thanks Again Fred
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Both of my cars did that. Now only the White Elephant gets the storage pocket wet. If it has a little, but it is not active, you should be OK. I am going to clean mine and spray it with the rust-to-primer stuff. That should at least keep it from getting active again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quarter glass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quarter glass   Quarter glass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quarter glass
Page 1 of 1