GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
jimbeau
1phastsswagon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Was heading out to head to work today, got about two miles away and it started chugging like it was out of fuel the died. Coasted in a parking lot hit the key she started the quickly died again, did this a few times. Left it there and proceeded to work. After work tonight I went to where she was and put in a new fuel filter, wife was with me so while she cycled the key I listened for the pump (actually heard it come on so didnt think it was the pump) after a few tries the car starts but its idling like a top fuel car or a BBC with a huge blower cam?? Go to give it gas and she dies, if I pump the pedal it barely runs.

So do you guys think it needs a pump or am I looking at the TPS or IACV being bad

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 pm

I assume that you have nothing to read codes the computer may have stored?
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Yes Jim i babied it home and pulled two codes

Code 32 EGR Failure

Code 44 Lean Condition
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 12:23 am

My first guess is the fuel pump. A lack of pressure would give you a lean reading from the O2 sensor. The fact that it gave you an EGR code, it could be sticking open, or leaking. On an LO3/5, the EGR is easy to replace, and not too expensive. Your engine would run poorly, or not at all, if the EGR is leaking, and it would also show a lean mixture. Checking fuel pressure is difficult at best on an LO3/5, so I would try the EGR valve, then if that does not fix it, it is probably the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 am

No noticeable vaccum leaks?Shortly after I bought my 91 OCC it started to act up in a similiar manner and it was the MAP sensor causing my problems.Mine threw no codes but because
my 93 V6 buick had the same issues and it was the MAP sensor as well!
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 am

Well I guess Ill do some quick swapping in the AM with her car going through its build phase I can swap out the egr & map easy enough to see if its either one of those
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 am

Swap one at a time, so that you know what fixed the problem.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 8:11 am

Yes fred, thanks for the tip did that this morning (egr is different) & still have same problems. Looks like it may be a bad pump
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 8:41 am

Get an AC Delco pump. They cost a few dollars more, but the risk of an off brand is not worth it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 9:48 am

And I believe that AZ now carries AC Delco..... You are "in like Flynn".
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 am

Yup we do - just ordered it so it should be in by the time I get to work. They I'll see if I can get it installed when I get home tonight
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 10:41 am

Don't take the NAPA brand fuel pump. I did about a month ago, and it was the wrong one. I don't know if they've fixed their inventory numbers since then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 11:13 am

No napa brand where I work (Im @ the happy AZ Land)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 6:40 pm

fuel pump or the little rubber hose just above the FP split open. either way go read the sticky on dropping the tank...been there a couple of times...
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 am

Sprocket wrote:
fuel pump or the little rubber hose just above the FP split open. either way go read the sticky on dropping the tank...been there a couple of times...

You where partly correct - got the tank dropped (Finally) and when I removed the sending unit I found that the hose from the pump to the sending unit had become disconnected What a Face

However I had decided to go ahead and swap the pump & strainer out anyways. Swapped them out put it back together, and now I have no power to the pump Mad

Work schedule sucks so now I have to try to drop the tank AGAIN when I get out of work tonight to see WTH is going on
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 am

Hmmmmmm. . . new pump is bad pump? Nah that could never happen. Laughing

If you're certain you connected everything back up correctly then I would try the fuel pump test port to see if it's getting constant power. Not sure where it's at on 91-92, or 94-96, but on a 93 its a red wire with a black connector just under the hood close to the firewall and passenger side fender. Just jumper it to the battery and see if you can hear the pump running.

I fear I'm going to have to drop my tank this week too. My baby does this thing where if you drive for a while and then turn her off. If you try to start her again with in an hour or less she starts right up super quick like, runs for a few seconds then starts to stall out. If you give it gas she stumbles but continues to run. Drop her into drive, press down on the gas and she stumbles and barely has any power for about 10-20 seconds then all is well. I've also been noticing a lot of hissing or air releasing when stopping to fill up while removing the gas cap. I don't know if they are related I'm assuming my pump and or connecting hose is the culprit. but then again it could be related to the pressure in the tank right?
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am

Ya did the FP test and got notta - Dangit Looks like im pulling a late one again tonight,and getting back under it when it get out of work. I want my wagon back Sad I have to work noon to close today - tomorrow and work friday (my day off) from open to 5.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
... now I have no power to the pump Mad
When I changed my bad pump years ago, the brand-new internal pump harness from Napa was wired wrong.
The end connectors were correct, but the wires were in the wrong slots. Re-inspect yours.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm

IT'S ALIVE (finally) Mother nature cooperated, and finally had a day off from work. Got the tank dropped and found out its wasnt the pump but the harness (lesson learned)

Replaced the harness and Badaboom - Badabing my babys got zing!!

Man am I happy to have my wagon back, as a added bonus looks like my fuel gauge is reading correctly again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED   Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Issues - NOW FIXED
Page 1 of 1