GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Class III Hitch Discussion

Go down 
+5
convert2diesel
COL
200OZ
DROLDS2U
94 Roadmaster Wagon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

Class III Hitch Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I know this is already sold, but I do have a question. I see you also have a class III receiver hitch on your car. The pictures don't show it very well, but did the pipe go through the hitch? I ask because I have the stock exhaust, and just bought a receiver from someone on the SS forum. And, on the spare tire side, there is a hole in the side of the hitch, to accommodate the exhaust. Since I still have the resonators, I'm planning on getting rid of the restrictive exhaust, and putting on just turbo mufflers, with no resonators. I don't know if the resonator will even fit through the hole, so I'm not even going to try. But, I'm just curious how you did it, none the less.

By the way, if your hitch is a 'one piece' unit, let me know if you want to sell it! The one I bought, is a 3 piece one, that bolts together. I'm not too confident in it, as I'd rather have the one piece!

Thanks,
John
[b]
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

the 3 piece is possibly a 8000 lb capacity, the 10000lb is one piece, also there is no holes in it for the exhaust, it mounts to the frame, you just move resonator to the side and move hitch up to frame, then bolt on, hope you didnt end up with a sedan hitch, they are different
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
the 3 piece is possibly a 8000 lb capacity, the 10000lb is one piece, also there is no holes in it for the exhaust, it mounts to the frame, you just move resonator to the side and move hitch up to frame, then bolt on, hope you didnt end up with a sedan hitch, they are different

I can't believe that the 3 piece is actually 8000 lbs! Is that with weight distributing, I'm assuming? What about without equalizer bars? Do you know? That is the question I posted on the Buick forum, but no one could give me any firm answers.

I will try to include a picture of the hitch I bought. You will see that the right side piece has a huge hole in it, and the guy that sold it to me said that it was for the exhaust to go through. That is why I want to make sure that this hitch is 'beefy' enough before I put it on the car. I'm only planning on towing around a 20 foot V-hull boat, and a small cargo trailer, like a 6X8 or so. Possibly a 2 place snowmobile trailer, if I decide to buy a 4-wheeler. I have a 1 ton Ford van with the V-10 engine, but it's a gas hog, and I really don't use it anymore. I'm selling it to my buddy, who's going to use it to haul his race car. He will put his tools in the van, and use that as his "tool chest", for when he's at the track.

John
[b]
Attachments
Class III Hitch Discussion AttachmentHitch for Wagon-Compressed.jpg
Hitch I bought for the '94 RMW
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(18 Kb) Downloaded 22 times
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 pm

there is no reason i know of for that hole, measure the width of the hitch, lets first make sure its for a wagon, they are different than a sedan
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
there is no reason i know of for that hole, measure the width of the hitch, lets first make sure its for a wagon, they are different than a sedan

What exactly am I measuring? The total width of the 'main' bar? Or, the width of the mounting holes? Let me know what dimension it should be, then I'll measure it.

Thanks,
John
[b]
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 am

measure main bar
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:13 am

DROLDS2U wrote:
measure main bar

Again, what am I measuring? The total width of the bar, the distance between the mounting holes on top, what? I was in the garage all day yesterday, walking around the damn thing, and I totally forgot to measure it!

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 am

the width of the bar , and post pics of the oldsmobiles
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am

94 Roadmaster Wagon,

Did you get my PM about that hitch?

Mike

John, aka 94 Roadmaster Wagon,

I've seen a few hitches like that one on our wagons, but it's been 18 years or so. I'm pretty sure it was a '94-'96 B wagon, but I could have been a '91-'93. If I remember correctly the driver side tail pipe goes through the hole. Just slip the stock tail pipe hanger(s) off the tail pipe, feed the plate over the pipe, and bolt the plate to the frame. Use some good grade 8 hardware, and that hitch will be just fine.

Mike

Goofed on the PM: The passenger side tail pipe goes through the hole in the hitch plate.

Last edited by 200OZ on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the PM for clarity of the thread.)
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm

This is what the hitch looks like that fits our wagons. Class III Hitch Discussion F36306655
Class III Hitch Discussion DeamOCC4MAR2012012
I use it to haul a 22' Airstream with a load distribution set up (Equalizer).
Class III Hitch Discussion FirstOLDSAirstreamtrip8-10JUN12001
COL
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm

i measured both wagon and sedan hitch's ... wagon is 48" wide ... sedan is 43" wide next we will get into wiring the wagons , i just did mine today , have to say i did a really good job hiding the wires, i hate messy wiring .
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:26 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
the width of the bar , and post pics of the oldsmobiles

Sorry I've been absent for a little while, but I FINALLY got the measurements. The measurement of the 'main' bar, where the receiver part is, is 46-5/8". The 'mounting holes' are approximately 43", and 47", respectfully. The measurements are taken as close to center of the hole as possible. The holes are somewhat oblong, so that's why I'm saying that.

In terms of the pics, I don't have time right now, as I'll have to 'resize' the pics, as the good ones were taken with a 12 megapixel camera, so they will be too big to post on here.

But, if you can let me know if I have the right receiver, I would appreciate it.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:37 pm

200OZ wrote:
94 Roadmaster Wagon,

Mike

Yes, I did, and again, I apologize for not being on here a lot, but as you know, life 'happens', and I've been busy. The only correction I could find with your PM, is that the "hole" bracket goes on the passenger side, as the exhaust goes around the spare tire well, up by the frame. If I can pull an Airstream with the hitch I have, then I won't worry about it!! But, I don't have the trailer tow package on my wagon, as I have the two electric fans, and only the puny 2.56 rear end. I do have a 3.08 ring and pinion I bought from someone on the Impala SS forum, but I have yet to find someone who can swap it out. I really don't want a tall rear end, as I'm more concerned with fuel mileage, as opposed to towing capability. I will be towing with this car maybe once, or twice a year, if that. If we do get a V-Hull boat, then maybe more. But, if gas stays this high, then we won't be getting a boat!

But, I always like to have something 'heavier duty' than what I need it for, so I won't have to worry about it! Like I said, if I could pull a travel trailer with the receiver I have, then I'll be satisfied!

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
i measured both wagon and sedan hitch's ... wagon is 48" wide ... sedan is 43" wide next we will get into wiring the wagons , i just did mine today , have to say i did a really good job hiding the wires, i hate messy wiring .

I'm hoping that when you measured the 48", that you included the mounting holes on the top of the receiver 'main bar'? I only came up with the 46-5/8" for the main bar, I didn't measure the little bracket on top that the mounting holes are on. But, the center of the 'outside' holes measures 47", so I'm assuming that you did include that tab in your measurements.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:32 pm

if the sedan is only 43 then you have the correct hitch, if your going to tow a travel trailer , i reccomend a brake controler for the electric brakes , i should have one i could sell you for $40 shipped to you
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
if the sedan is only 43 then you have the correct hitch, if your going to tow a travel trailer , i reccomend a brake controler for the electric brakes , i should have one i could sell you for $40 shipped to you

Thanks for the offer, but like I said, I'm not planning on towing any large trailer. The only trailer I'm planning on buying, is a small, enclosed cargo trailer (like a 6X8), so I can haul items that I would have normally hauled in my van, when I needed that. And, even if I do get a boat, that too will be a single axle, so it won't even come with brakes. I know you can order some single axle trailers with brakes, but I'll be buying used, so I doubt they will be having brakes on them. Unless things have changed within the past 5-10 years, most all single axle trailers did not come with electric brakes. I haven't had to price brake controllers for a number of years now, but your price seems very reasonable! Is that for a new one?

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 pm

its used
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

[quote="94 Roadmaster Wagon"]
DROLDS2U wrote:
Thanks for the offer, but like I said, I'm not planning on towing any large trailer. The only trailer I'm planning on buying, is a small, enclosed cargo trailer (like a 6X8), so I can haul items that I would have normally hauled in my van, when I needed that. And, even if I do get a boat, that too will be a single axle, so it won't even come with brakes. I know you can order some single axle trailers with brakes, but I'll be buying used, so I doubt they will be having brakes on them. Unless things have changed within the past 5-10 years, most all single axle trailers did not come with electric brakes. I haven't had to price brake controllers for a number of years now, but your price seems very reasonable! Is that for a new one?

John
[b]

Its not about the number of axles, its about the total weight (trailer plus load). Most jursidictions have a weight limitation on brake use, usually either 1,000 lbs. or 2,000 lbs. depending on state laws. Any trailer over that figure requires brakes.

The 3 piece bolted hitch is rated for more than enough for your uses. I have the identical one on the Caddy and beleive the wagon hitch was also. More than sufficient for the 6,000 lbs. of my trailer, using a load equalizing setup. If you still don't trust a 3 piece, assemble the whole thing in situ and than take it off in one piece and have a welder make it one.

Class III Hitch Discussion CarTrailer2-1

Bill
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

94 Roadmaster Wagon wrote:
200OZ wrote:
94 Roadmaster Wagon,

Mike

Yes, I did, and again, I apologize for not being on here a lot, but as you know, life 'happens', and I've been busy. The only correction I could find with your PM, is that the "hole" bracket goes on the passenger side, as the exhaust goes around the spare tire well, up by the frame. If I can pull an Airstream with the hitch I have, then I won't worry about it!! But, I don't have the trailer tow package on my wagon, as I have the two electric fans, and only the puny 2.56 rear end. I do have a 3.08 ring and pinion I bought from someone on the Impala SS forum, but I have yet to find someone who can swap it out. I really don't want a tall rear end, as I'm more concerned with fuel mileage, as opposed to towing capability. I will be towing with this car maybe once, or twice a year, if that. If we do get a V-Hull boat, then maybe more. But, if gas stays this high, then we won't be getting a boat!

But, I always like to have something 'heavier duty' than what I need it for, so I won't have to worry about it! Like I said, if I could pull a travel trailer with the receiver I have, then I'll be satisfied!

John
[b]

John,

I added my pm to you back onto my first posting for clarity for others. Yeah, I goofed on the driver side exhaust, I meant to say passenger side.
Putting the 3.08 rear gears in your wagon will be a great upgrade over the 2.56's, and gas the mileage change would be minimal, and may even go up around town.

Mike
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 pm

if you go to a 3.08 rear gear you might also need a different carrier or POSI unit, might be cheaper to change your whole rear end, you might also need new speedo gear in the tranny, to keep it accurate
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:01 pm

DROLDS2U wrote:
if you go to a 3.08 rear gear you might also need a different carrier or POSI unit, might be cheaper to change your whole rear end, you might also need new speedo gear in the tranny, to keep it accurate

Supposedly, what I bought from the man has the reluctor ring, posi unit, and ABS gear. Can you tell I have no clue as to what I'm saying? But, I'm supposed to have everything I need to swap it out, and to convert it to posi. This setup came off of a '94 Caddy. But, it had almost 200k on it, before he took it out. He did say that everything ran good, no noise, or 'clunking' sounds. He is from Louisana, so I doubt he had any instance to check if the posi worked (I just want it for the snow).

I've been trying to find a 3.08 gear from a wagon, so I KNOW it will work, but I haven't been able to find one yet. Whenever I see one on one of the forums, it's GONE IN 60 SECONDS!!! I'm especially perplexed as to why, when the Imapla SS's came with that gear stock, and most guys usually swap them out for 3.73's. I was told by someone that those 3.08's should be a 'dime a dozen' for that reason! Apparently, he was wrong!

In terms of the speedo, I can just get a program, use my laptop, and change the gear ratio on the ECM. I have yet to buy that. I do know they are available, and so is the ALDL cable. I used to have an AutoXRay 6000 Scan tool, and that was PERFECT for tuning the CCC carb on my '87 Cutlass, when I got it rebuilt. But, as with all used things from Ebay, the scan tool took a dump, and it was going to cost more to fix it, than to just get another used one from Ebay. I could have used that for codes on the car, but even that wouldn't work for the speedo problem. I would still need the laptop/program for changing that.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Topic split per request.

New topic started "My Other Car(s) - Past & Present":

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7020-my-other-cars-past-present

- J
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 1:04 am

I know this is a rather dated thread, but I keep forgetting to ask about the wiring. Does anyone still make the 'plug in' wiring adapter for the RMW? You know, the one where you unplug the wiring harness, insert this in between, and you have your trailer lights! I'm sure they don't make it anymore, but it's worth asking.

Thanks,
John
[b]
Back to top Go down
Multipurpose

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Bump

Any one have any update on finding a class 3/4 hitch
Back to top Go down
Poorboy

Poorboy

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

no, they won't. It has been discussed before and Uhaul said that the B body will not get a custom hitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Class III Hitch Discussion   Class III Hitch Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Class III Hitch Discussion
Page 1 of 1