GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door handle swap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:32 am

I swapped my painted handles for these black ones I bought over a year ago. I LIKE IT!

Door handle swap 001-1
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

The more chrome the better on these cars! Sharp!
Back to top Go down

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

The change looks good on your wagon with the chrome beltline and 2 tone paint.Your wagon always looks great though!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

YOU HAVE A LOCK CYLINDER WOOOT!!! BTW you wagon is looking mighty fine!!!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

LOL make sure you tell Emily. Thanks guy's
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Nice work!

How about a quick how to? I've got to take out the black handles from the Fleetwood to swap to the black WB4 RMW...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 11:36 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Nice work!

How about a quick how to? I've got to take out the black handles from the Fleetwood to swap to the black WB4 RMW...

I second that!! They look great! How did ya swap them?? Especially the rear ones...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:56 am

Yeah the rear one was a bitch. The first side took me well over an hour. It got very frustating but the other side was like 20 minutes tops.

Ok here's what i did.

1) obviously remove door panel

2) drill out the 5 rivets holding the door handle mechanism in place ---> 3/16 drill bit

3) remove 3 screws from door jam area holding locking mechanism ---> torque bit

4) I was able to move mechanism over just enough to get my hand inside door to get forward/front nut off. The rear nut was a little tougher but easily done. 10mm deep well socket then universl then extenstion.

5) Now once you have everything loose push down on the locking mechanism or lift up on the front part of the door handle mechanism to make the locking unit to go further downward into door. Once you move it down the door handle will move freely and will expose the rod so you can remove clip from handle. All done on the outside of the door.

6) Now just reverse the process and put it all back together.

I tried like hell to get the handle out without removing the rivets and that is what slowed me down. Finally I caved and drilled them and then it was so mush easier so do what I have listed above and you should be in and out in less than an hour for both sides.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:50 am

Just an FYI, GM used these same exterior door handles on the Chevy Corsica, and the late 80's to mid 90's 4-door model Regal, Grand Prix and Cutlass Supreme.

Lots of spares out there, and the Grand Prix and Cutlass ones tend to be body color. The Regal and Corsica handles are chrome.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Door handle swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door handle swap   Door handle swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door handle swap
Page 1 of 1