GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?

Go down 
+6
sherlock9c1
Dutch Pete
yakko
jayoldschool
silverfox103
94 Roadmaster Wagon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Empty
PostSubject: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I pretty much know what is wrong, but it just torques me to think that the thermostat quit already!

I replaced the t-stat when I first bought the car, around Feb. I also put on the valve, with the hose on the t-stat cover, to get the air out. But, over the summer, I seemed to notice that the temp gauge wasn't working. I was going to start a thread on here asking about that, but I think I might have just answered that.

Anyway, the wife drove it to work, and she called me, complaining that it had no heat. On the way home, she said it was very weak. So, when she did get home, I immediately went to the diagnostic on the heat control, and the digital said 175 degrees. I pulled it into my garage, and was checking things like the heater hoses, etc. Strangely enough, the bottom heater hose (in front of the engine, by the water pump) was really hot, whereas the top hose, not so much.

But, as the car sat in the garage, I still had the diagnostic on, and the temp rose to 191. I now had TONS of heat! I immediately took the car for a drive, and as I was driving, the temp went down to 165. I went a couple of miles down a country road, then turned around. On the way back, strangely it went UP to 171 degrees, but the heat coming out of the vents went luke warm, at best. When I came home, I put it back in the garage, let it idle some more, and eventually the temp went back up to 185, and I had heat again.

So, I'm assuming that the t-stat is sticking open? It just pisses me off, because I just replaced it, under 5k miles ago. My buddy thought it might be a clogged heater core, and when I felt the heater hoses, I thought that might be the culprit. But, I'm still leaning towards the t-stat.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
John
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Heater core is plugged. Flush it out both ways.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I'll disagree. Open t stat. Had the exact same symptoms. If it builds heat when idling and stationary, it isn't a plugged core. When you get moving, the coolant is over cooled from the moving air.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Sounds just like the problem I have. I flushed the heater core and every thing was good. Now the heater core is getting more crap in it. I know I'm going to have to flush it again. I can't believe the crap that came out!!

Randy Neutral
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm

I did forget to mention, that when the temp. went up on the diagnostic, in my garage, the temperature gauge itself went up, as well! Of course, all summer it didn't seem to work, but I really didn't idle it too much. And, I just thought that the gauge simply didn't work (fuse, or something?). So now, I know the gauge DOES work, that's why I'm still leaning towards the t-stat. Possibly, maybe a little of both?

I'm editing this, to ask how DOES one flush the heater core? My buddy said it's simple, but I know I can't get to the connections by the firewall. Do you take off the heater hoses by the water pump? If so, then what?

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

94 Roadmaster Wagon wrote:
I'm editing this, to ask how DOES one flush the heater core? My buddy said it's simple, but I know I can't get to the connections by the firewall. Do you take off the heater hoses by the water pump? If so, then what?
John
[b]

You need to get into the two hoses that go to your heater core. Someplace you can disconnect or cut the hose and put a coupling in after your done. You can buy an adapter that allows you to connect a garden hose directly to the heater hose. Flush one way and then reverse and flush the other. You will be surprised by all the stuff that comes out.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Maybe you put in a wrong T-stat? (to cool) I bought one at Auto zone a while ago and it turned out to have a different temp rating than it said on the box. (as you said, your temp gauge is working a little)
Pete
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Dutch Pete wrote:
Maybe you put in a wrong T-stat? (to cool) I bought one at Auto zone a while ago and it turned out to have a different temp rating than it said on the box. (as you said, your temp gauge is working a little)
Pete

You know, that could be right! I do know after looking up from the 'big three' (Autozone, Advanced, and NAPA), that most do stock a 160 degree t-stat as an 'option'. Maybe when I bought this one, that's what I got! I believe it was warm out when I changed it, so I didn't need the heat. And, when I drove down the road, it cooled down from 190 to 165 and stayed there. So, maybe it IS a 160 degree stat!

So that brings me to another question. I made sure I bought a 180 degree heavy duty stat today, but no one had a 195 degree. The 180 degree stat will be good enough, right? Rock Auto has the 195 degree, but it's only a 'regular' stat, not the 'premium' one. I can tell the one I bought is better than a 'standard' one, just by looking at it. I got it at Advanced, and it was like $15.00, so it better be good! I know NAPA had some 'premium' ones, but they were charging over $20 for them!! O'Reillys were charging over $30.00 for some!! HOLY COW!!

What do you guys run? Like I said, I can only find 195 degree stats at Rock Auto. I'm hoping that the 180 degree one I bought will give me enough heat.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 pm

180 is stock for the LT1 cars. Make sure you got the right one (no gasket, just o ring), and that you put it in the right way.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 pm

You can easily flush the heater core by disconnecting the two small hoses that connect to the passenger side of the water pump. Then take a garden hose on low pressure and flush in each hose back and forth until it burps something out.

For what it's worth, on my 9C1 I was having to flush the heater core every year for a number of years.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 am

If you then need more heat, drill out the stupid plastic flow restrictor. My 96 RMW brand new would not thaw the windshield off, I drilled that restrictor out larger and then it heated like crazy!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 9:59 am

I'll bet on the core being plugged, just like Sherlock I flush my cores each fall on the LT1 cars. When the car is hot, feel the hoses going to the heater core. If one is hot and the other isn't, the core is plugged up.
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
180 is stock for the LT1 cars. Make sure you got the right one (no gasket, just o ring), and that you put it in the right way.

What is the 'right way'? Is it where the spring is on the bottom side, and the 'spaceship' looking top is on top?

Also, do you need any RTV around the base, since it's only that little rubber o ring?

Thanks,
John
[b]
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Deadmanonduty wrote:
If you then need more heat, drill out the stupid plastic flow restrictor. My 96 RMW brand new would not thaw the windshield off, I drilled that restrictor out larger and then it heated like crazy!

Where is this restrictor at? I might as well do that too!

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm

I would not do that to the restrictor, that is there for a purpose. That's not your problem.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

T-stat looks like an arrow place it pointing in the direction of the coolant flow.
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:02 am

scoffman wrote:
T-stat looks like an arrow place it pointing in the direction of the coolant flow.

So then, which way IS the coolant flow? Does it come through the radiator, through the hose, or does it come from the engine? So again, should the spring part be on the bottom, and the 'spaceship' looking top be on top?

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 am

Deadmanonduty wrote:

Where is this restrictor at? I might as well do that too!

John
[b]

Its a plastic piece in the hoses. Guys say if you remove it, you can burst your heater core, so I just drilled mine a little bigger. I have run it like this almost 200,000 miles with no trouble in a couple different cars........I like heat in Northern Wisconsin! Smile
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am

Many moons ago I had a 75 Colony Park with heating issues. Heater inlet was warm, outlet was cool. I tried a garden hose to backflush and it only moved a dirty trickle.

Figuring I had to replace the core and therefore had nothing to lose, I hooked it up to a fire pump. Starting with a low pressure, I flushed until clear, then snuck up the pressure another 5 psi. When that was clear, I snuck it up a bit more, and so forth. I think I was up over 100psi when increasing the pressure no longer produced new crap. Surprisingly, the thing actually held at those pressures! I was sure it would burst eventually.

When I was done, the flow rate through the core was greatly increased -- I don't think it would noticeably reduce the flow from a garden hose. And the heat output was fantastic!

I really don't think the restrictor is there to prevent the heater core from bursting. However, with the reverse-flow design of the LT1 cooling system, it may play some sort of role in the overall engine cooling flow rates.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm

scoffman wrote:

So then, which way IS the coolant flow? Does it come through the radiator, through the hose, or does it come from the engine? So again, should the spring part be on the bottom, and the 'spaceship' looking top be on top?

John
[b]

Sorry I'm one of them TBI guy's so can't say which way the coolant flows on a LT1. Mine is going to flow out of the engine and back into the rad. The t-stat housing is on top of the front of the engine so. . .I'm going to place the t-stat in where it looks like it's pointing up.

Mayhaps one of them ther LT1 guru's could chime in on the flow direction. It is suppose to be reverse flow from a normal 5.7 though, if that helps ya any.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

This may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Randy
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 am

It looks like the spring part sits down in the housing. I have two LT1 cars and they need to have the heater core flushed each season. It's a pain because of the coolant dump.

Randy
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

yakko wrote:
This may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Randy

It also shows a gasket! I was under the impression that there wasn't any, due to the "O Ring" around the thermostat? When I put it together, it was seeping just a little bit, on the front side. So, I drained it back down, took it apart, and just put a thin layer of RTV around it. No more seeping!

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:45 pm

There isn't a gasket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?   No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Heat-Thinking it's the T-stat?
Page 1 of 1