GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What should I be thinking?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Oscar73

What should I be thinking? Empty
PostSubject: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 pm

My 94 RMW had to male a 300 mile round trip today to fetch some parts...on the way up, it wouldn't shift into 4th (OD), which is fine for the twisteys and hills for the first 30 miles.

But, on the way back, it appeared that it would only go into 2nd. 2500 RPM by the magic tach in the dash at about 67-8 MPH.

I just bought two jugs of ATF and some clear tubing to do the sherlock9c1 flush...is the wagon impatient?

I really hope this isn't curtains for the trans...otherwise I'm stuck in the water. No transport, 25 miles from anywhere, and it'll take months to save up for a rebuild. I'd try it myself, but my landlord might take issue with me doing in the apartment. I have to do all my work in the street.

But it did get 18 MPG on the way back...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2021 8:28 am

I would venture to guess that the trans is toast. The 3-4 gears is the weak point of the 4L60e. If you need it right now, put it on the credit card, and pay it off as soon as possible. You are looking at $1200-1600 for a good build with heavy duty 3-4 parts.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Can I put a 2007 4L60e in without terribly upsetting the natural order? I found one for 300 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2021 11:54 pm

I think you should be thinking...how many times do I want to R&R the transmission?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 9:38 am

Oscar73 wrote:
Can I put a 2007 4L60e in without terribly upsetting the natural order? I found one for 300 bucks.

No, you cannot. But... you can probably get the parts you need to fix your trans for about the same price. Time to talk to Sherlock...
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am

Don't bother flushing it. It won't fix it.

Short version: Go find another car to drive for now. Save up for another transmission or sell the car as-is.

Big picture: The real problem here is lack of financial margin. Trusting a 27 year old car as your primary and only ride is super risky. Get a different job, change careers, sell stuff you don't need, find a cheaper place to live, cut off anything and anyone that sucks money, time and energy from you. Move in with a relative if you have to. Build a cushion, an emergency fund, so you're never stuck again. It's worth the peace of mind.

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Uhhh...thanks, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I be thinking?   What should I be thinking? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What should I be thinking?
Page 1 of 1