GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Empty
PostSubject: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Just got a call from Flash Gumby. Someone rear ended him and smacked in his tailgate. He says thats the only part damaged as the bumper of the other car rode over top of his bumper.

Guy took off too, but they got the plate number. Anyway we had already planned a yard run and there was a white woody there last time he went. If we find a nice tailgate we will pull it. When I pulled the last one, I almost lost my nuts to the spring when I released it under tension and it shot about 50ft down the side of a building denting the side of the steel structure.

We don't want that to happen again. Just did a quick search and no luck, I know it's been discussed here before.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 8:30 am

You can unbolt it in the door open position, and it is not under tension.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 am

^^ Yes. I almost did the same thing as you my first time Sprocket. Unbolted it with the gate open...that is a fail. DOOR OPEN! Wised up the 2ond and 3rd time. hahaaa
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks! Hoping that wagon is still there. Leaving now.....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I guess everything worked out. We have not heard anything. No missing fingers etc.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Well...his voice sounded a couple octaves higher when I talked to him....
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Maybe he will reply in pink letters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring   Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Releasing Spring Tension on tailgate spring
Page 1 of 1