GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vinyldavid

vinyldavid

Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Empty
PostSubject: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey guys!

Sorry about the über-long break from this forum, I haven't done anything with wagons in a while, due to my '91 basically falling apart.

I have the option to buy back the '94 I wrecked, it's been through two more owners (both of whom I know), and mechanically fixed. Fuel pump replaced, fuel pump relay replaced, vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, car aligned, water pump replaced, and it runs great. I'd be buying it for 1250.

For those that don't remember, I lost control of it in the rain being a n00b at RWD.

I've spoken with my father, and he has said that the front ends can probably be swapped over. Is this possible? It would be nice to just unbolt everything and bolt it onto the new car. My father has said that should work. I'm not sure what this entails or how I would go about doing it, or if it was even feasible.

What are the forum's thoughts? Here's pics from the CL post of the '94:

Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? 3Le3Jb3Hf5Ha5Jf5M3ccm09314e746aaa106a
Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? 3K63F43H15Eb5K75J3ccmd10ac569eb6e16d3

Last edited by vinyldavid on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm

your dad is right, it will all bolt right up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 am

Make sure you get the doors@While you have everything apart,check for any rust,wire brush
and paint over.Strip your 91 of everything you might need in the future and store it away.
Back to top Go down
vinyldavid

vinyldavid

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am

I'm just not sure HOW to do it, or how involved it would be.

I'm somewhat inclined to get rid of my '91 and buy a Suburban and be done with it (blasphemy around here I know), I am somewhat sick of dealing with it, it's got issues both cosmetic and mechanic, and I can't do them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

David,you remember the thrill that 94 gave you everytime you drove it?That Suburban will never make you grin like your 94 did!Think about what you're giving up!
Back to top Go down
vinyldavid

vinyldavid

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:47 am

Y'all are right. I talked with the current owner of the '94, he's going to hang onto it for until I can scrape together another $500 to acquire it, and then swap the front ends around, or pay a shop to do it. It also needs tires, so I'll put my stock Buick wheels on for the moment, and buy 4 donuts or something from a junkyard so the '91 can sit until I do the front end swap.

Then I'll strip the '91 and scrap it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

You can remove the hood first, then the fenders, finally the core support and front bumper. You can bolt everything up without any problem, and you do not have to remove the doors. Use them for alignment of the fenders. The whole swap should take you about 3 days maxumum. Get an FSM, or post if you have any issues.

The only mods you have to do are holes in the wheelhouses for the accessories. The core support may have a couple of holes to drill as well for the SRS sensor. The driver's side wheelhouse extension (plastic at the front) is different from the 94, because the auto heigth compressor sits behind it on the 94. The clip for the engine compartment light wire is in a different place on the 91 hood.

It is a good idea, like was said above, strip the old one, and save or sell the parts to defray any costs, and maybe put a few $$$ in your pocket.

The fenders come off with the wheelhouses as one piece if you want to save some time. You could even take the whole front clip, minus the hood, and bumper and move it to the 94.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 pm

What color is your 91 inside? I might need a few pieces...
Also, if your passenger side wood trim is in good shape (the little strip on the door), any change I could buy it?

Sorry to take it off-topic just a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Do it yourself. I showed you photos from my facebook. I did it in a couple of hours. It's not that hard....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm

I took another look at the thread. I did not wait to see the pics the first time...looks like you need a driver's side door. The attachments for the interior panel are different. You can drill out the pop rivets and move them to the 91 door. You also have to remove the arm rest support on the 91 door. The trim clips for the chrome are different, but the trim is the same, and will align correctly. The passenger's side looks good, so you only need the hood, driver's side fender, door, running light, and the bumper cover.
Back to top Go down
vinyldavid

vinyldavid

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

Well I decided to get it, and am putting together the necessary funds. Will hopefully have it within a couple weeks.

For those that may be interested in parts, the interior color of my '91 is blue.

The car itself is probably fixable, with only 91k original miles, and very clean, with almost no rust. But I'd rather fix up my previous '94.
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I could use a blue driver side door panel including window controls and arm rest, etc...
Let me know if we can work something out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?   Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front clip swap from '91 RMW to '94 RMW?
Page 1 of 1