GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system

Go down 
+2
Olds Weighty Eight
My Betty
6 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Empty
PostSubject: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I bough a 96 Roadmaster wagon that got totaled back in November and I just purchased another 96 wagon the other day. See thread: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7680-gave-up-on-the-betty. My brother posted for me. Thanks Jim!

The new Roadmaster has some options that the old wagon didn't such as load leveling suspension. It doesn't work and I'm trying to figure out why. I had it up in the air today and noticed it had air shocks. I followed the air lines into a "T" and then to the pump on the front left side, underneath the car. I took the pump out and it isn't seized, that's all I know. Also, the fuse is good.

From what I understand, it's supposed to have air bags. Where do I start? Does anyone know what common failures are with these systems? Thanks in advance, Mike
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

My auto leveler stopped working a few years ago as well. Last year I decided to look into it. I disassembled the compressor and found that, while the electric motor runs and the piston wasn't seized, the valving portion of the compressor was severely corroded from years of humid air. I tried but coudn't get it working.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 pm

My OCCs has the auto leveling and I cant believ how sensitive the system is.I was unloading groceries last night and it activated after removing one small bag of eggs and a loaf of breadWay too touchy and I am sure thats what weakens my yellow optima after sitting for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am

I ended up replacing the working systems on both my '96 Roady wagon and '92 OCC wagon with variable-rate rear coil springs and good rear gas shocks. Had leaking factory air shocks on both my wagons, and just did not want to mess with future air system issues. No regrets!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 10:35 am

The factory setup was air shocks, not air bags.

Most likely it's the compressor unit. Does the level switch at the top of the differential trigger the compressor? Does it kick on? Just not putting out air?

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Is the sensor on the rear axle still attached to the axle? There's a small arm with plastic pivots on it, those like to break (as they were on 2 of my wagons).
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

There is. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Mike (My Betty) and I replaced all 4 shocks today (by "Mike and I", I mean Mike rolled around underneath the car and I drank his beer).

It had KYB shocks front and rear. The rear ones were air shocks spliced into the stock compressor. But they were shot. It was hilarious watching him go over the Tappan Zee bridge with it on the way home last week. It was like watching a carnival ride. I thought it was going to bounce right off the road.

I've goofed around with a lot of these GM compressors. This one looks brand new, but won't run. It doesn't even try when hooked up directly to 12 volts. We have another one on the '94 wagon that we can try. I'm not convinced this one is bad yet, though.

Mike says the car rides awesome now. He's got a schrader valve installed on the air shocks until we sort out the air compressor.

Our dad has Black Betty temporarily while Mike and I assess some issues with dad's winter beater (a '99 Camaro SS). I can't wait for dad's review of the car. He has to be impressed by it.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 am

Jim, dad's too stubborn to drive The Betty. He'll drive his Corvette in a blizzard before he gives in and realizes he needs a winter car!

The new shocks work great. Something actually worked in my favor for the first time since the first "Betty" experience. I had a set of front and rear shocks ready to go on the old Betty that I never returned so I put them on the new Betty. Also, for the first time, I can see how these cars really handle. It took all I had in me to keep this one on the road on the way home from LI.

As for the pump and motor, I'm not convinced it's bad either. When I had it out, I took the front cover off the pump and spun the crank shaft with ease. I guess the motor could be bad. I'd like to test the system for voltage to make sure power is even getting to the pump. Not sure how possible that is.

Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:20 pm

I stand corrected. Dad took the New Betty into work today. He expressed his distaste in me getting another one. Maybe he'll change his mind after today.
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Dad just called and said how much he liked the car and to let you know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 pm

cheers
turbojimmy wrote:
Dad just called and said how much he liked the car and to let you know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm

81X11 wrote:
cheers
turbojimmy wrote:

Another possible convert,fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system   96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 Roaddmaster Air leveling system
Page 1 of 1