GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Empty
PostSubject: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Decided to go to the $200 store (Costco), last week, a 250 mile round trip. The first sign of something wrong was the climate control doing a countdown when I started the car to leave. It had no problems the rest of the way to the store, about 125 miles. Next startup things kinda went crazy. Doors locking and unlocking, dash warning lights flashing, climate control resetting and a never before heard relay clicking on and off under the dash that lasted about 30 seconds which flashed the marker lights. This relay could be reactivated by opening a door. Car wouldn't crank... no click or anything. Lucky for me a good friend lives close by so I had it hauled over there and borrowed a rig to get me home.

Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride CameraZOOM-20130131124745964

The car at some point had an alarm system installed as there is a disconnected alarm speaker under the hood as well as a tiny LED mounted in the dash below the radio. My question is, how likely am I to be able to cure this by removal of the alarm junk that's apparently still under the dash? Car is at a friends house 125 miles from home. The other option is to trailer the thing back home... big bucks for trailer rental and fuel for the truck.

Cheers, Vern
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Removing the alarm, could straighten that whole mess. About 10 years ago, on of my daughter had a 94 CC. My brother was the original owner, his wife wanted an alarm system. He had one installed. It wreaked havoc with that car. Everything electronic had problems. I bought it for my daughter and I had problems. Crazy things electronically were happening. Car went into limp mode. Transmission guy figured the problem out. He removed the alarm.

He said the alarm drops the voltage by a fractional amount, but enough to make many things go crazy.

Remove it and throw it away.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Agree with Tom,if you dont have time to yank everything,cut the alarms power and access to
the fuse panel.Your battery may be dead due to the constant cycling since you left the car at
your buddys house so take a jumper battery.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Before yanking the alarm I'd take a long look at your battery connections, terminals, and cables. I had issues with corrosion inside the cables on my '96 Roady.

Good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 pm

+1 on Mike's diagnosis.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
+1 on Mike's diagnosis.

That all may be true, but get rid of the alarm. They are nothing but problems.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks all... I think I'm going to take the chance and go up and try and remove/isolate the alarm. I disconnected the battery as soon as I figured out it wasn't going to fire up. If it cures it I'm only out 15 gallons of fuel vs 30+gallons if I haul a loaded trailer up and back. It's times like this that I miss my '78 C10 Suburban. Rolling Eyes

Vern
Back to top Go down
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Exorcism complete. Not too difficult a job other than laying upside down under the dash. Tracing all the leads into the harness took the most time. All the wires were "teed" and soldered into the harness other than the large purple one which powered the starter, it was cut and went into a relay. The right blinker indicator light in the dash healed itself as a result of the removal, not sure what to think of that. Still no fan for the heater though. It's home, that's the good news. I can chase the little gremlins in my warm shop!

Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Viper
Anybody want a slightly used alarm system?

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Vern
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Also check the auxiliary battery post.
Back to top Go down
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 9:30 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Also check the auxiliary battery post.

That's the one on the passenger side inner fender?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride   Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gremlins in the electrics... Wagon gets a ride
Page 1 of 1