GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking to lower my 92 RM

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Looking to lower my 92 RM Empty
PostSubject: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I have been thinking that I will lower the wagon this spring. I was thinking about a spring kit. This site has them and it seems reasonable $$
http://canuckmotorsports.com/cat_car_domestic.html#Buick

They show 2 types - 2 inch front and 3 inch back OR 1.5 inch on both. My guess is the 2 inch and 3 inch would be best.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm

One of the guys has a set for sale and he just dropped his price for springs and shocks to $250. Not a bad deal, but I do not know the street trends product.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=276600
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Our wagons ride pretty low from the factory and considering how well kept our roads are
in my area,go with the 1.5 front and rear!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:21 am

Go with Hotchkis or Vogtlands. You can usually get them for about 250 bucks and they are the perfect driver height and look really nice...

Looking to lower my 92 RM 2012-10-21122328

Looking to lower my 92 RM 2012-10-20144457

Looking to lower my 92 RM 2012-10-12150508

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 8:39 pm

The rears do not require a greater drop than the front. In fact, the car tends to look better with a little more drop in the front, than the rear. Depending on whether you are going to drive in the snow, you might consider the 1 1/2 in. drop. If you go much lower it will act like a plow. If you are not going to drive in the snow, 2 inches in the front and rear is nice. You could even drop the front 2 in. and the rear 1 1/2 in. for a little rake. You will have to remove .030 in. from each shim pack in the front for every 1/2 in. of drop to compensate for camber change when lowering. I did the math for someone in PA, and it worked perfectly. If you do not remove the shims, you will get excessive tire wear on the insides of the tires.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Go with Hotchkis or Vogtlands. You can usually get them for about 250 bucks and they are the perfect driver height and look really nice...

Yup. I used hotchkis on my 1st black wagon, but found it needed airbags in the back to avoid sagging. The airbags are for a Kia Sedona. Airlift 1000 p/n is #60763.

Last edited by jasonlachapelle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 pm

jasonlachapelle wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Yup. I used hotchkis on my 1st black wagon, but found it needed airbags in the back to avoid sagging. They are for a Kia Sedona. P/n is #60763.

I'm a bit confused! Kia Sedona shocks or springs??? Or both?n LOL First, Do I need to replace both shocks and springs? I realize I wil need to have it re aligned - thank you for your advice on that who ever that was! Smile

So can I get this clear - springs only? I just put new shocks on all 4 last summer but if I need to replace them - fine. I will look at the post for the parts for sale too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Oh and I think a slight drop is fine - I drive it all year so just 1.5 inches or so
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Sorry, the p/n was for airlift 1000 bags that fit in the hotchkis and vogtland rear springs perfectly.

I don't know what kind of shocks you put on. Hotchkis and Vogtland springs are definitely stiffer than stock so if you chose a very soft shock, it might feel mismatched. You can try doing springs only and if you feel the shocks don't properly control the springs, just get stiffer shocks.

Airbags aren't "required". I just felt the rear was too low and that the rear hotchkis springs were just a bit too soft for a wagon. It was really nice with the bags.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Ok thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to lower my 92 RM   Looking to lower my 92 RM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking to lower my 92 RM
Page 1 of 1