GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PatDTN

Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Empty
PostSubject: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:10 pm

I've looked at the weatherstripping around the door and it's in very good condition. Even the shape seems good. Still there's a good amount of air leaking in. I'm considering loosening the door hinge bolts and trying to tip the top in a little. Is there a better idea?
Back to top Go down
http://www.patdonahue.com
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 pm

this may help

Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 9:22 pm

buickestate wrote:
this may help

Wow. If that doesn't help then space aliens are following my car down the road and injecting air magically.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am

Check the window weather stripping right around the side-view mirror. The section of weather stripping that comes down around the window to the door has a tendency to shrink and pull up away from the door. Leaving a nice gap where you can get air rushing in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Many years ago I bought a digital decibel meter from Radio Shack to measure the exhaust sound levels on my brothers Harley and other available systems.Turns out it can used to detect wind noise around door seals as well.All you need is a meter and another person to drive while you use the meter to locate where the leak is by setting the meter to its lowest level and watching the readout as you move the meter around the door outer edge..Its a very handy tool with a surprising number of auto related uses like locating a bad rocker,lifter and vaccuum leaks as well.
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks guys. I figure I'll give the steps in the video some exercise. I'll work from the middle out because those suggestions near the middle were more on point. This'll beat trying to move the door around.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 pm

The driver's side run channel may still be available from Chevorolet, but the passenger's side is not.
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The driver's side run channel may still be available from Chevorolet, but the passenger's side is not.

>sigh<

Of course the passenger side is where the noise is. Hopefully I'll find I can bend that flange out some and/or find that foam piece and pull it back into position. Busy stuffing pot lights into my sunroom today so no playing with my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW   Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wind and noise at right front door on my '96 RMW
Page 1 of 1