GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon

Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm planning on ditching my rear windows, going for a panel conversion, they never made a panel wagon for the Oldsmobile's that I am aware of, possibly for the Caprice, but I'm not aware of that either. Anyway, my windows leak, they aren't seated well, and I would like to stop my spare tire pan from rusting before my spare tire becomes a fifth wheel dragging the ground. So panels it is, plus I like the look, might throw some port hole windows back there, might not, dunno. Basically I'm trying to figure out if anyone here knows of a 2nd gen panel conversion, your 3rd gen cars would be much, MUCH harder to do I'd figure, that side of my car is pretty much flat.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

There was never a factory or aftermarket conversion for the boxes as far as I can recall. There WAS a company that made an aftermarket tri-five replica with the 91-93 cars. It was pretty fugly. That said, I think a panel wagon using the same body lines as a normal wagon would look cool.

Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Chevy-Caprice-Alter-Nomad
Back to top Go down
Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I don't intend to do anything to the back doors, just remove the rear quarter windows, and have 'em sheet metaled in. Thanks for the bit of info, was just hoping someone knew something about doing a conversion like this, it's not terribly hard, mostly just sheet metal, something to insulate them from noise, and some headliner material cut to fit, possibly some custom rear speaker setup, 4x10's are horrible.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 am

i could see a panel boxie but it would look odd imho without permanently sealing the back doors and paneling those windows also.
Back to top Go down
Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm

It may look a bit odd, but the big question is how easily the glass can be removed. If it's easy enough to yank out, I'll just use the tinted windows from my '89 parts car. That thing has some insane dark Florida tint, links below.

https://2img.net/h/i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Dead-Reckon/1989%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser/100_0782.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Dead-Reckon/1989%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser/100_0781.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Dead-Reckon/1989%20Oldsmobile%20Custom%20Cruiser/100_0787.jpg

It's a miracle those doors didn't have the windows shattered, we where going to fix the car, but we realized the firewall is damaged. So it's a parts car, with a really nice interior. And since my interior is the stark opposite of nice, I'll be gutting that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?   Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever done a panel wagon conversion?
Page 1 of 1