GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BoxWagon

BoxWagon

Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Empty
PostSubject: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Well my Cragars are looking less than fantastic and I would like to attempt to fix them a bit.

Please excuse the large, unclear pictures. This is the worst of the 4 rims.
Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  10414107494_25c9f923ec_o

I'm not worried about the centers, I'll polish those and repaint the black.  I'm concerned with the edges which are plated steel.

Ideas? So is there anything I can do short of replating them? I can get the rust off with some rags and elbow grease but it always comes back since the surface is compromised.

I was thinking of cleaning them, getting the rust off, degreasing them and hitting them with some coats of this.
http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-HWP103-Clear-Performance-Wheel/dp/B000B6AF2G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Although I don't really think that's what I'm looking for or if it will even work. I'm worried about adhesion, would an adhesion promoter work on that?

Looking for any input.

-Tony
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 8:05 am

The plating is shot. can't "fix" it.

WD40 and 0000 steel wool (with a light touch) will remove the rust quickly and without much work. Then use a good quality Glass Cleaner (PFM Glass Cleaner works well) to remove the WD40 and rust. Protect with your favorite wax, or spray with clear ( not sure if this works with chrome)

HRH
Back to top Go down
BoxWagon

BoxWagon

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 8:19 am

Well fix wasn't really the right word to use. I had figured the plating is compromised. Thanks for the cleaning tips though.

I'm more just looking to see if anyone has done anything with clear coats and chrome. Normally chrome and clear coat is never necessary, since chrome is a protective finishing. But mine is plating that is not doing the job.

-Tony
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

The clear will stick to the chrome, IF you scratch it enough to make a physical bond. Clear won't stick to a smooth or dirty surface.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 am

Just a thought,were the designers of Keystones bragging when they named them "Keystone Classics" or they just knew the design was so good it couldnt be anything but "classic"?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 5:49 pm

lets dig up as many old threads as we can ,...
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
lets dig up as many old threads as we can ,...
What can I say? Idle hands....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 11:29 pm

buy some cheezies,..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?    Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refinishing my Keystones, Ideas?
Page 1 of 1