GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

won't start on first crank, but no problem on second

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ForeverDakota

won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Empty
PostSubject: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:34 am

I was having a hard time starting my 94 Caprice. The battery checked good, I replaced the starter and the battery cable. She now starts fine but never the first time, I have to crank her for about 10 seconds, stop, then recrank and she'll start right up. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 am

could be maybe a clogged fuel filter just guessing the pump might not be pushing enough fuel the first time??
just my suggestion and a cheap fix isf it is
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 am

Can you hear the pump running when you turn the key to the on position the first time? If not, it may be the pump relay. Does your fuse block on the passenger's side wheelhouse have a brass post? If not, it may be causing some issues. The plated post gets corroded, and causes strange electrical problems. There might be a worn contact/actuator rod/lever on your ignition switch/linkage on top/inside of the column.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Next time, turn the key on and off 5 times before you crank it, waiting 3 seconds each time you turn the key on to let the fuel pump run and pressurize the system.  You may be losing fuel pressure when the car shuts down, either from a leaky injector or the fuel pump drainback valve failing. If you don't already have a fuel pressure gauge, go buy one. It is a highly useful tool.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 3:19 pm

+1

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Next time, turn the key on and off 5 times before you crank it, waiting 3 seconds each time you turn the key on to let the fuel pump run and pressurize the system.  You may be losing fuel pressure when the car shuts down, either from a leaky injector or the fuel pump drainback valve failing.   If you don't already have a fuel pressure gauge, go buy one.  It is a highly useful tool.
Back to top Go down
ForeverDakota

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks guys.  I checked the connection on the battery post.  It was clean but still no luck.  Will progress on with the other suggestions.
Back to top Go down
ForeverDakota

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 pm

It looks like it's losing pressure, did the on/off 5 times and she turned right over. Looks like I'll be looking for a fuel pressure gauge. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: won't start on first crank, but no problem on second   won't start on first crank, but no problem on second Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

won't start on first crank, but no problem on second
Page 1 of 1