GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
81X11
Wagoninabox
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Empty
PostSubject: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2015 1:46 am

Howdy All:

What is a good adhesive to secure these on with? I do not want to use urethane as it would be a nightmare to ever get the trim off again without breaking them. Would just RTV silicone be enough to secure these?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 am

....Bueller....Bueller.....Anybody...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 2:51 pm

3M double-stick mounting tape, with the red peel-off backing. Sold in most parts stores.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Use windshield adhesive. It is almost impossible to get off once it is on. Make sure you impeccably clean the backside of the panel, and the door under it. Use the top and bottom fasteners to align the panel. You can dispense with the T pins. Do not allow the adhesive ooze from under the panel. It is difficult to get off. Buy fresh adhesive. Use the prep liquid to make sure it sticks. I can not emphasize the importance of using the prep liquid on both surfaces.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 7:07 pm

^^^^what others have also told me as the best route.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Do not allow the adhesive ooze from under the panel. It is difficult to get off.

Automotive paint reducer. Before it fully cures.
Back to top Go down
udownwitk

udownwitk

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 pm

mine didnt come with any prep liquid... what is that? this the stuff i bought and still havent used it.

Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim 20150305_175657_zpsr6wih1y5
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 pm

When installing a windshield, one uses "pinchweld primer" on the metal surface. The glass is just cleaned really, really well. I would have thought similar of plastics, but maybe Fred knows something I don't.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 am

UltraBlack will do it as well. The stuff is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 12:14 pm

buickwagon wrote:
When installing a windshield, one uses "pinchweld primer" on the metal surface. The glass is just cleaned really, really well. I would have thought similar of plastics, but maybe Fred knows something I don't.

The primer is probably the same thing I am referring to. The flyaway is plastic not glass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim   Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best adhesive for Flyaway Trim
Page 1 of 1