GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me piece together hitch hardware...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
udownwitk

udownwitk

Help me piece together hitch hardware... Empty
PostSubject: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

so i bought a heavy duty hitch from sting roo (Ray) at Wagon Fest. i dropped it off to have it cleaned and powdercoated black. while its there, i wanted to acquire the proper hardware. so i called Draw-tite (they seem to own Reese, which is the brand of this hitch) and got some part numbers for each item needed. so i went to etrailer and found most of the stuff. Now, the problem im having is that the "spacer block" listed is a tad different than the size of the one listed in the installation instructions. Its the only one listed so i will grab it anyway, im sure it will work. but my question is? do i need these spacer block plates for all for bolt holes or just the two larger holes located in the back (closer to fuel tank)? they are used so that the bolt doesnt spin while tightening... just trying to figure out if i need 2 or 4 of them? im thinking just 2. how many of each part should i get? also, should i just get the bolts/nuts/washers from hardware store using grade 8 instead of the original grade 5?

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 402438E2-F999-4805-9B0B-179330CA007E_zpsoctujfzy

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 701F8C6A-A46A-42D0-BD1B-3D98724FD97A_zpswrca071b

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 81CBEAD4-38C9-48F3-932F-CCE57C0D70CE_zpsk86dippw

Help me piece together hitch hardware... FE44328B-8C3C-4A62-8C7D-2AD2FC292E8F_zpsifnbe612

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 53FE0CAC-58A7-4197-803A-20D2B387E303_zpsffwmmswo

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 2B41D51F-D5D9-4293-B646-E59D8B4E2734_zpseaoe5hgl

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Everything but the spacer block can be had at your local Orange or Blue store for a LOT less.....

Can't help with the other questions as both my car and memory are no longer here.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Corey

Robert is correct, but you also can get a big square washer that will work, I did.  They (HD) sell a product called Unistrut or Kindorf.  It comes in 10 foot lengths.  It is used for mounting and securing equipment.  Part of that system, they have square washers, about 1 1/2 square x 1/4  or 5/16 thick, with a 3/8 or 1/2 hole.  The carriage bolt will lock right in.  If for some reason can't them there, go to an electrical supply house.  You have to "fish" them in with the bolts.  I can't look at my wagon now, but if I remember correctly, you will need four.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Only two of them.

For the rear bolts.

At least, that's what I had.

Also, man I am really mad, I can't find that damn bolt for anything! I get the feeling someone tossed it going through the garage because they didn't know what it was.
Back to top Go down
udownwitk

udownwitk

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 pm

so get this... i was fiddling around in the shed and came upon the remaining hardware from when i installed a Curt hitch on my jeep cherokee. it only needed a few pieces from the bag. Look at whats left... the carriage bolts are the exact same size needed for the wagon and the spacer blocks will probably work as well. even still has the fishing wire piece, lol.

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 37B3BE12-A7CF-48BA-8F64-566034E14703_zpspzmuyyfu

Help me piece together hitch hardware... E60B57FE-0E5B-4C94-B311-4E63B8754A53_zpsomyhftqq
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Niiiiiice.

That's like the best kind of random garage stuff. "Wait, I had WHAT hanging around in there?"

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I bought a "wagon" hitch from a guy on a forum, and it showed up and was a Sedan hitch! So, a Welder made it fit perfect and its strong as can be!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

That's a wagon hitch.

Used to be on my wagon :p
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's a wagon hitch.

Used to be on my wagon :p

you need to install a hitch in the front,.........to help get home easier,.. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
udownwitk

udownwitk

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Well the hitch is back from powdercoater, and it looks great. $70 well spent!! The hitch hardware also arrived thanks to David Pollack, thanks bro! Will get it installed soon.

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 61A3E693-F33C-4C0D-8977-2B5662C14856_zpsflfhof1k

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 07188E3D-3351-4AFF-A564-33DCF28EC0D6_zpszw0ezmfc

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 pm

udownwitk wrote:
Well the hitch is back from powdercoater, and it looks great. $70 well spent!! The hitch hardware also arrived thanks to David Pollack, thanks bro! Will get it installed soon.

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 61A3E693-F33C-4C0D-8977-2B5662C14856_zpsflfhof1k

Help me piece together hitch hardware... 07188E3D-3351-4AFF-A564-33DCF28EC0D6_zpszw0ezmfc

Wont ever have any rust issues with that finish and looks great too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me piece together hitch hardware...   Help me piece together hitch hardware... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me piece together hitch hardware...
Page 1 of 1