GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!

Go down 
+2
Sprocket
seanb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
seanb

Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Empty
PostSubject: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! 0324140944_zpssfncnqru
Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! 0321141051_zpsz7urvw2s
Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! 0406141414_zpsmbbde389
Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! 0406141045_zpsndnw4tte
Replaced the fuel sender on my '95 Caprice wagon recently. I hope I don't have to do that again any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Glad I live in the south..... I got that job down to about 1.5 hours. I've also done it over a dozen times including the dark and rain.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Wow! Great use of a skateboard for sure. Be sure to use Anti-Seize when replacing under carriage bolts. It can save plenty of bloody knuckles.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

My bolts look almost like the new ones, just a little dirty. Southern cars rocks.
Back to top Go down
seanb

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone.  It was a learning experience for sure. I was finding little rust bits in my eyes and ears for days after. Boy what a good feeling when it started when I was finished though.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 pm

WTF if causing mine to leak when full? I replaced the sender to fix the "smells like gas when full", and it still leaks and smells. The lines are fine, the fill hose is dry, as is the vent. No cracks in tank. I dropped the tank again, removed the sender to check the gasket. You can see the staining from evaporated gas around the mounting ring. It will drip out the left side when making a turn that way. In the most extreme case, I filled up last summer on a HOT day, and parked right after with the back angled down to the left, as seen in the pic below.

I'm thinking of dropping the tank again, removing the sender, and running a couple of beads of black gasket Ultra on both sides of the gasket. Any ideas?

Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! DSC_0106_zpsd5ea4a5d
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 pm

I had one develop a leak a couple of years ago. The garage I used to go to smoke tested it, but it was not conclusive. I ended up replacing the tank. This spring I found the vent line cracked, and leaking. It was dripping when the tank was full. The vent line is 18mm/3/4 inch, and a PITA to find on a Saturday at 4:30. It is also a PITA to replace. You have to drop the tank to get to the inner attachment point. If you did not replace the O-ring, the old one may have taken a set from the sender, and was not returned to the original position.
Back to top Go down
seanb

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:01 am

I think I would've fainted if I saw that puddle under the car after changing the sender. I am glad I replaced the vent hose to the filler even though it looked good. Hopefully you figure it out, I feel your pain.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 am

I just dropped the gas tank in the 99 chryelr town and country mini van that the wife drives,
I had to replace the brake lines from the abs pump all the way back,and the proportioning valve. The lines cuddle up to the gas tank on the way by,.15 year old quick disconnect fuel lines , don't.
of course the tank was full,..
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Yes, I had to do repair kits on the quick connectors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!   Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel sender replaced! Woo hoo!
Page 1 of 1