GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines

Go down 
+2
lakeffect
1993 Roady-man
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Empty
PostSubject: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Considering this for my Caprice wagon. Not feeling it yet but I did purchase a chrome kit for the rims so these should look cool once done.

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines 014_zps70fdd033

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines 015_zps88699338

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines 013_zps2d7674ea
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:39 pm

J-Rod, just to be safe, you realize we need a 5x5 bolt pattern for the wagons, not just a "Chevy " pattern for Camaro's etc.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:53 pm

lol, I guess you forgot that he has run turbines on his old wagon for years...
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah what he said!

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Roadmaster
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 1:38 am

I like that!

Sharp.

Only thing about that is the availability of 15" tires in our sizes is dwindling to pathetic levels.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 7:47 am

So true. Sad to think 15" tires will be more expensive then 17 and up someday.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 7:53 am

I know what you mean I have 16's on Shammoo. Where once many sizes were available, now few exist. Very little choice. Finding it hard to replace matched sets with the 295's on the back

BFG still has old school Radials T/A's available in 15's 295/50/15. They fit with the proper offset.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 8:52 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:

I'm envious of how clean those rims are. What do you use to keep them looking that good? Off the shelf stuff or is that stripped and powder-coated?

And yeah, I'd love a set of Radial T/As after I saw "Texas Mikes" old 89 OCC. Might color the rims like his, but we'll see. Been trying to calculate the BFG equivalent size for 225/75/R15.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:08 am

I stripped the rims and then painted the inserts and then sanded the rest with 220 grit sandpaper and when I wash them now,.. I use either Eagle one or Napa's aluminum wash rough casting or bare aluminum. Works great.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:38 pm

I love those wheels, but make sure they are the right bolt pattern. Not many people know it, but those also came in the smaller sedan bolt pattern. I pulled a set off a 1985 LeSabre Limited at a Dallas salvage yard years back, and thankfully tried them on a junker wagon in the yard, and it was a smaller bolt pattern.

Gotta be careful. Do love those wheels!!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:45 pm

81X11 wrote:
I love those wheels, but make sure they are the right bolt pattern.   Not many people know it, but those also came in the smaller sedan bolt pattern.   I pulled a set off a 1985 LeSabre Limited at a Dallas salvage yard years back, and thankfully tried them on a junker wagon in the yard, and it was a smaller bolt pattern.

Gotta be careful.    Do love those wheels!!

-Mike

Thats why I always carry a wheel pattern tool with me anytime I am carrying enough cash to score a NICE set of rims.
There was a set of those turbines on ebay that were redone and actually looked chrome plated for 1100 dollars,cant find them now though,same guy had a set of redone SS rims for a grand as well.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm

81X11 wrote:
I love those wheels, but make sure they are the right bolt pattern.   Not many people know it, but those also came in the smaller sedan bolt pattern.   I pulled a set off a 1985 LeSabre Limited at a Dallas salvage yard years back, and thankfully tried them on a junker wagon in the yard, and it was a smaller bolt pattern.

-Mike

Yup I know that, took these off a 86 chevy truck. You can see on the backside the smaller bolt hole provisions that aren't drilled.

Not sure if you know this but these rims also have the option of shanked lug nuts like I have on my Roadmaster wagon now,.. and conical seat like the ones I pictured here.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm

1993 Roady-man wrote:
81X11 wrote:

-Mike

Yup I know that, took these off a 86 chevy truck. You can see on the backside the smaller bolt hole provisions that aren't drilled.

Not sure if you know this  but these rims also have the option of shanked lug nuts like I have on my Roadmaster wagon now,.. and conical seat like the ones I pictured here.

The ones I had on mine used flat washers and seperate lug nuts. Had to order them special. Such fun!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 8:19 am

Yup those are what I have on my Roadmaster now. Bought a set from a Toyota and they worked great. washer already attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LUG-NUTS-12MM1-5-FOR-LEXUS-TOYOTA-OE-LENGTH-FOR-A-5-LUG-CAR-1-47-LONG-5006T-/140885408551?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cd6cbb27&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:
Yup those are what I have on my Roadmaster now. Bought a set from a Toyota and they worked great. washer already attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LUG-NUTS-12MM1-5-FOR-LEXUS-TOYOTA-OE-LENGTH-FOR-A-5-LUG-CAR-1-47-LONG-5006T-/140885408551?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cd6cbb27&vxp=mtr

Thanks for posting that link. I have been trying to find a set of lug nuts for my alloys and ditch the center cap.

I considered these, but I wasn't sure if they'd work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-NEW-Alloy-Wheel-Chrome-Lug-Nut-Set-of-5-1974-1982-/171321084437?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1980|Model%3ACorvette&hash=item27e3884a15&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 11:39 am

I have a set of those Astro centers if anyone wants them. I bought them for a project I never completed. Best offer takes them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 8:00 pm

steel-and-fire wrote:
1993 Roady-man wrote:

I'm envious of how clean those rims are. What do you use to keep them looking that good? Off the shelf stuff or is that stripped and powder-coated?

And yeah, I'd love a set of Radial T/As after I saw "Texas Mikes" old 89 OCC. Might color the rims like his, but we'll see. Been trying to calculate the BFG equivalent size for 225/75/R15.

Using the "Tire Rack" guide
225/75/15 BFG long trail TA =28.3"diamater
235/70/15 Radial TA 28.1" diameter
275/60/15 Radial TA 28"diameter and you will need at least a 8 inch wide rim for this tire minimum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 9:53 am

Hey Mike. Where did you get, and what are they off of, those center caps on your Custom Cruiser wheels. Are those the factory 1990 turbine GM rims that came on the Cruiser? I've got set of those rims but no big caps that I can find anywhere. Where did you come by those caps? They look sharp!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am

I know who has an extra set of those caps... Wink

The big cap isn't the only option, they look good with 79-81 Vette centers and chrome lugs. Also, note that mine are the later ones that take a regular taper seat lug nut.

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines DSC_0012_zps629a3157

Vette cap:

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines DSC_0010_zpsd8b206ae

With a used Buick emblem from ebay:

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines DSC_0011_zpsc15afbb8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picked up another set of Buick Turbines   Picked up another set of Buick Turbines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Picked up another set of Buick Turbines
Page 1 of 1