GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flashers slow with trailer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Flashers slow with trailer Empty
PostSubject: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 am

Now that I am towing the trailer with the Buick exclusively, I need to fix the lights issue. With the trailer hooked up, the flashers are slow. Very slow, and ALL lights are dim. I have the 4 pin harness hooked up directly at the lights (wire taps at the bulbs). Is there a better flasher, or a better place to tap into the wiring? Would LED's fix the problem?

Flashers slow with trailer SDC10389
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Don't know about the 96 Roady, but my 94 Caddy interfaces with the CCM. You may need a special driver for the trailer brakes. Check your local trailer place. Companies like Reece, Towpower etc. all make one. It is actually an independant unit that draws power directly from your battery and used minimal draw from the signal circuit to light up your trailer.

http://www.drawtite.com/dt119190.html

Hope this helps

Bill
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 pm

I know when I towed a 40 foot 5th wheel trailer a few years ago, I had to put heavy duty flashers in. Also, as an electrician, I would say you may have to use a larger size wire going to the lights. You may have a voltage drop.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:44 pm

If you are using the bulbs in parallel, the resistance is lower, and the flasher reacts at a different rate. Arranging them in series will have the opposite affect. I have not experimented with them, so I do not know which way they are hooked up, and whether they will speed up or slow down.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 am

The EL12 Flasher relay from Advance Auto did the trick. Variable load and electronic, compared to the thermal it replaced. Worked so good, I got another for the emergency flashers. Package claims 10 times longer than thermal units. My old flasher looked original, so after doing the math...... I'm good for another 140 years.
Back to top Go down
Greg72

Greg72

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am

you may want to buy a spare one....I am thinking they may be hard to find for sale 140 years from now..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flashers slow with trailer   Flashers slow with trailer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flashers slow with trailer
Page 1 of 1