GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roof Rack Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 6:32 pm

I am getting the roof repainted on my Roady wagon (the factory paint is peeling off) and my roof rack is very faded. Here is my question; the car is white, and the rack is the factory matte black. Has anyone ever painted the roof rack the same color as the car? I guess I would leave the rubber strips black as I imagine they would not hold the paint well, but I've been thinking of painting the rack white, or gloss black, instead of the matte black.And, I would only be painting the rack itself, not the removable rails, as I leave those off for a cleaner look. If anyone has any pictures of what I am talking about, please post it. The car is going into paint in the next few weeks, and I want to be sure I make a choice that I am 100% happy with. Thanks, Mark.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 8:04 pm

TBI cars came that way from the factory, plenty of pics of those around
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Roof Rack Question 1992BuickRoadmasterWagon004
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks Jay. That looks just like mine with the dark tint and alloy wheels, except I have the wider white walls with the Runway Enduro tires. I think I will do it in white as it just seems to blend in with the roof, which was my idea all along.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Is the whole rack painted body color on the TBI cars? Even the rub strips? I can't seem to find a specific picture of the rack. It looks like (on the picture Jay provided) that the outside trim is body color, but the rails and rub strips are black? If anybody knows, or has another picture, let me know.It's going in the shop next week. Thanks, Mark.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Mark, I just found that by using google images. Lots to see, search Roadmaster wagon. You can pick out the TBI cars immediately by the rack paint and the chrome low profile cross bar.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 pm

the metal rails that the crossbar(s) slide in stays black as do the rub strips. the wide part gets body color treatment. I wouldn't paint the rails as if you move the crossbars, the paint will likely come off. and with the rub strips, well rubbing...
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Mark, I just found that by using google images.  Lots to see, search Roadmaster wagon.  You can pick out the TBI cars immediately by the rack paint and the chrome low profile cross bar.
Thanks for the tip, Jay. Funny, after seeing the Roadmaster's listed, just for fun I looked for pictures of another of my cars, a 97 Cutlass Supreme coupe. Mine is triple black, and very nice. About half way through the pictures, there were two pictures of my car! The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix occurs every July, and they have a car show next to the race track. Someone took the pictures of my car and posted it on the site, and I didn't even know about it. I feel so special. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 am

TBI cars came with matte black roof racks IMO, I have a diagram showing the bolts and rubber inserts of a 93 TBI roof. If yo want you'll have to sent me your e-mail. It's a pdf file and i can't get it to stick in my reply
Sorry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roof Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof Rack Question   Roof Rack Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roof Rack Question
Page 1 of 1