GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTB: Roof rack for Caprice

Go down 
+3
buickestate
silverfox103
Ajtofelfa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ajtofelfa

WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Empty
PostSubject: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 pm

The last US owner removed the roof rack from the car. I don't know why he preferred it that way, but now I definitely need it back. So I'm looking for a complete set with the two side and front rail. The rear piece is on the car. The narrow plastic strips are also missing fron the roof.

It makes things a little more difficult that I'm in Hungary, but if the stuff can be disassembled and packed as a single long piece, it won't be hard to send them I guess.

Gabor
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Welcome! We have quite a few European members, I think you're the first from Hungary.

I'm sure someone will have the roof rack you want for your wagon.

Related to Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

I just happen to have take one off my 95 parts wagon.

lets first find out how much shipping will be
Back to top Go down
Ajtofelfa

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 am

Hello,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to see the total cost of the rack.

Tom, nope, Gabor is a fairly common name in Hungary. Smile
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm

bad news the roof rack can't be shipped internationally, it's too long for Canada post. it's over 6 feel long

anyone have have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Wonder what the regulations are in the US?

Tom
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

UPS?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

I ran into this a few years ago when I shipped a complete header panel off a 83 elcamino to switzerland, ended up shipping it via sea. the guy there made the arrangements

Canada post will ship long items with in our boarders so the header panel was shipped to the montreal harbour where it was then put on a boat. it too like three months from the time it left here before it arrived in easter switzerland

it has to do with the size of the shipping containers that canada post uses when they ship over seas, I was told that 48 inches is the longest they will allow
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 pm

I just checked on the USPS site, there max length is 46 inches.

Well, I guess that leaves UPS.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Ajtofelfa

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 am

I've asked around in the American car scene in Hungary and nobody seems to ship a container from Canada, only from the US. I think it would be the easiest and cheapest to send the package to a US address where they will forward it to me in a container.

Does this limit also apply to items sent to the US?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 am

I'm sure that greyhound would ship it but once it arrived in the city it would have to be picked up from greyhound

Tom can you find out if the us postal service has a length limit with in the usa?

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am

Pat & Gabor

I just checked with USPS.com and UPS.com, both can do it. I think UPS is the best way to go. I calculated from my zip code in New Hampshire to a zip code in Massachusetts. I figured the size 80 x 10 x 10 inches and 15 pounds. UPS ground would be $32.28.

So to ship from Canada to the US couldn't be that much more. Just a guess, but I would imagine the container has to be from the East Coast someplace. I can't see shipping being more than double the $32 from Canada to wherever on the east. But if it's to California, probably a $100 more.

Gabor, where does the container ship from?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Ajtofelfa

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Tom,

Most probably it ships from Florida, I don't have the exact address yet.
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 am

I also might be able to Help, my wife works for Fedex in international shipping in Detriot. So worst case would be to ship it to Detriot as cheap as possible (or how far from Tonawanda NY are you? I have to be there in a few weeks.)
Then we could ship it to Hungry (always glad to help out, my Family cam from the area in 1920!)

Let me know if we can Help

And Welcome Gabor!!!!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am

Jeff the roof rack is here in London Ontario, I'm often in the windsor detroit area so if your wife can help out this may solve the shipping issue

Pat
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 pm

In case that doesn't work out, where in Florida would the container leave from? It would most likely be Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Either way I could deliver it to a shipper if I received the partS.
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 am

Pat,

If you could box it up and get dimensions & aprox Wieght that would help with shipping.

Also Gabor if you have a Buisness adress you can pick up the Rack that will save on shipping by between 10-20%

If not PM me the adress you would like to ship the rack to, in the Format that your country uses to make it easier.

I am on the road for the next couple of weeks, but if we can figure out aprox shipping cost before we try and ship it it will go alot smoother.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm

I have one in the Detroit area. I can get it to the FedEx location and off to you for $100 USD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Pat,what metals are the roof rack made of and how thick is it?.The reason I ask is how difficult would it be to weld the rack parts back together with a TIG welder?I have seen a very qualified welder do some amazing things with a TIG welder.
Back to top Go down
Ajtofelfa

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 2:53 am

Hello all,

You're really amazing, coming up with so many ideas on shipping the rack to me.

I was offered a $100 container shipping cost from Florida (I don't have the exact address yet). Jeff, could you please give me an estimated cost for the Fedex shipping method?

Thank you,

Gabor
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 am

I would need the dimensions and weight of the rack boxed up, and we should be able to get an estimate for shipping from Detriot to FL.
Back to top Go down
papasparts

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 am

i have one off a 95 rmw, is this what you need ?? i could bring it to the freight forwarder , either fort lauderdale or most likely miami for $150
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 am

Guys ,we have a new member in germany who is removing his rack and we are trying to get the 2 guys together and work out a deal to save having to ship the rack from the US to europe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Roof rack for Caprice   WTB: Roof rack for Caprice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB: Roof rack for Caprice
Page 1 of 1