GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

valve cover vent

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 9:18 pm

i am trying to fix some stuff before wf. has anyone had a problem with the pass side valve cover vent leaking oil. i am going to replace the round rubber groumet that the plastic el goes in on the cover. i have after market valve covers. also seams that the hose has oil in it also. thx
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
rjathon

rjathon

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 11:23 pm

What is it for? The hose came off from the elbow and the rubber hose is so stiff that I can't get it back on.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 8:30 am

If it came off of the elbow it will go back on. The hose is for part of the PCV system and is for filtered air coming into the crankcase. The PCV valve sucks the air out. This is so you do not have an oil air mix exiting the engine and causing pollution.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 am

mtrhead79 wrote:
i am trying to fix some stuff before wf. has anyone had a problem with the pass side valve cover vent leaking oil. i am going to replace the round rubber grommet that the plastic el goes in on the cover. i have aftermarket valve covers. Also seems that the hose has oil in it also. thx

A new grommet with the Deutsch BF412 filter has worked quite well on the wagon. Generally we try to use a genuine GM grommet over the parts store versions, as they seal (and last) a bit better. This thread on ISSF gives several part numbers for the same filter to maximize your chances of getting one locally:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is still some small amount of oil that migrates to the throttle body, but it is certainly tolerable. The factory covers we're using may have a better oil separation system than the aftermarket covers you’ve installed, so take that for what it is worth.

There are a couple other options listed in linked thread, some are not nearly as convinced the valve cover mounted filter is sufficient and show alternate filter solutions, but they either aren’t very attractive or not nearly as inexpensive.

If you really get bored, there is always this method of repurposing the existing AIR pump to create a positive evacuation system:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

- J

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 pm

thanks jay. i was up late last night and i did find it on the impalassforum. autozone did not have it so went to pep boys they will have the purolator version tomorrow. the guy 1finecaprice also added a fuel filter to his inline. i picked it up also to see how it would do but it is pretty ugly so we shall see. i also tried today to get new grommet to the valve cover. the one i found seems to fit but looks a little cheaper than the one that came with the valve covers. some oil seems to be coming from around the grommet . hope it works i will post back about the out come
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 pm

i got the new crank case breather. 1st the new grommet was to small and leaked worse so i cleaned the old one with paint thinner then pt some silicone around it and poped it in and the new breather that was a little tighter fit than the factory 90 was let it sit over night and all seems good no leaks. i also replaced a vacuum 90 that is on the throttle body. i could not find the correct one so i got one for a ford and used a platic vacuum line reducer to mak it fit. here are some pics.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
does anyone know where this vacuum line goes to ? i know it runs to a little seloniod but dont remember if it is the upper or lower port on the solenoid. looked in the fsm did not see a diagram. i can take a pic of the solenoid if that helps. its on pass side just above the valve cover
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Use this site when you don't know where something goes : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 4:51 pm

thanks thats perfect
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm

i drove the wagon to work today 1 hr each way and it did leak again not as much , i think i will cotact the valve cover manufacture after wf to see about getting new grommet from them. for now to go to wf i will do old school sweat wrist band around the breather to catch any oil . i have another weird problem i will post on the suspension section
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

valve cover vent Empty
PostSubject: Re: valve cover vent   valve cover vent Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

valve cover vent
Page 1 of 1