GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted

Go down 
+2
buickestate
Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Empty
PostSubject: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 pm

tailgate lock popping open when no one in car
I pulled into my driveway after work and heard the tailgate solenoid in Dusty (was not driving it) pop. I went over and sure enough the glass lifted right up. Hmm, tailgate is locked. I closed it and 10 seconds later it popped open again.

I opened the car and checked the locks. open/close then locked it all up
10 seconds later pop. WTF.

I started the car and turned it back off, locked and pop again!

I did notice the drivers door lock move slightly (but not open) when it popped.

What should I pull to make it stop until I have time to trouble shoot.
(tired and have to cook dinner).

I mean short of pulling the panel and popping off the connector

thanks

Last edited by Sprocket on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 pm

well the 5/16 gave me a temporary solution for the evening.
be kinda hard to start the car though Rolling Eyes

anyone got ideas?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 pm

do you know where all the fobbs are?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 pm

No fobs learned to that car.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

buickestate wrote:
do you know where all the fobbs are?

That was gonna be my guess...I had the same problem with my '92 RMW. Fobb was jacked up.
I'd say pull the panel and unplug the popper. It won't take but 5 mins. I know you said that though.

Is the button up by the dash stuck? Perhaps you can press it/jiggle it around a few times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm

is the outer push button stuck in??
Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 pm

button not stuck in on the back. tried that and playing with the switch on the dash. spoke to my wife today (out of town) and she said turning the car on stops it, but last night it kept doing it after I ran the car.....

going to try disconnecting the keyless under the rear cargo panel and see what happens tomorrow....

thanks for the suggestions so far.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:52 am

It's baacccck Sad

last time I pulled the cover on the drivers side and found water in there dried it all out and it stopped. today it started again Sad

pulled the cover and it's dry in there (humid outside though). unplugged the keyless module and it still pops. pulled the rear tailgate cover the to wire going into the solenoid has a constant 12volts on it.......this does not seem right and with my meter attached, pushing the release on the dash doesn't change the voltage. guess it's a short. where does the wire run too????
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 12:18 pm

went to connector 405 inside the body and I'm getting constant 12v on the blk/wht from the harness with no key on, etc. looking FSAM for breakdown of convience center under dash to find the proper relay, although the wiring diagram sorta looks like it should be on all the time????? I would think the solenoid should only power when you want it pop no???

opened up the rear on the 91 Olds and checked at the same connector ----- no constant 12V.
Back to 94 RMW -- after owning her for over 3 years I finally got around to unbending the rod for the tail gate lock and with the cover off I can manually unlock the glass with the key.

So that's where I am as it's going to rain shortly and I have two walls to paint in the house.

Anyone know which relay on the convenience center I should pull?

The solenoid pops when the keyless entry module is unplugged, when the switch at the latch it unplugged, and whether or not the doors are locked or unlocked.

Now when the car is in drive it does not pop so that switch seems to work okay.
According to the wiring diagram the only things left are the dash switch, tailgate lock sense switch (where is that?), and the liftgate wiper latch switch (is that the one on the glass with the two push buttons?)

Wife took off in the car so I can't pull the dash switch now.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I have a problem opposite that - the popper on the ldm has never worked. I swapped it with a working one and it still didn't. Been a while since I messed with it but it seems like I had constant power the same place you did. I'll be interested to see if this can be figured out.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 pm

Sprocket wrote:
went to connector 405 inside the body and I'm getting constant 12v on the blk/wht from the harness with no key on, etc. looking FSAM for breakdown of convience center under dash to find the proper relay, although the wiring diagram sorta looks like it should be on all the time????? I would think the solenoid should only power when you want it pop no???

opened up the rear on the 91 Olds and checked at the same connector ----- no constant 12V.
Back to 94 RMW -- after owning her for over 3 years I finally got around to unbending the rod for the tail gate lock and with the cover off I can manually unlock the glass with the key.

So that's where I am as it's going to rain shortly and I have two walls to paint in the house.

Anyone know which relay on the convenience center I should pull?

The solenoid pops when the keyless entry module is unplugged, when the switch at the latch it unplugged, and whether or not the doors are locked or unlocked.

Now when the car is in drive it does not pop so that switch seems to work okay.
According to the wiring diagram the only things left are the dash switch, tailgate lock sense switch (where is that?), and the liftgate wiper latch switch (is that the one on the glass with the two push buttons?)

Wife took off in the car so I can't pull the dash switch now.

Depending on the way the convenience center is mounted, the glass relay should be on the bottom or right, beside the 4-way hazard flasher.

The rear glass popper is not connected to the lock circuitry, or the tailgate lock sense switch. The two pushbuttons are power/ground for the center tail light, and may be the interrupt for the wiper, but are not involved with the glass popper circuit either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted   stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stupid tailgate solenoid is haunted
Page 1 of 1