GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?   Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 7:56 pm

I am missing about 2" of the molding or gasket at the top of the windshield on the passenger side. It will leak on the driver side and drip on the dash when driving, but when parked I think it is leaking down under the carpet. Amazingly the car doesn't smell and doesn't seem moldy.

So can this gasket be replaced without pulling the windshield?

I have a sungate windshield which I want to keep, even though it has some scratches.

Also, has anybody had any luck polishing out scratches on a windshield?

I have a photo I can post of the missing gasket, but it's not that exciting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?   Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm

If it is leaking, there is a break in the urethane, or a rust hole in the pinch seam around the window. You have to have the glass removed and the rust fixed before reinstalling it. The reveal molding can be removed, but you can not install another one with the glass in place. If you have a good glass man, he should be able to remove it without breaking it. Do not be surprised if there is a substantial amount of the urethane no longer attached to the body.

Mine came loose along the bottom of the passenger's side all the way to the middle of the glass. It soaked my floor whenever the car was sitting still in the rain.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?   Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Hmm, might have to price out windshields. I think I will pull the headliner first as it needs to be recovered anyway, and make sure the leak isn't coming from somewhere else and migrating.

One nice think about the PNW, we don't bake rubber seals very often.

Thanks again Fred!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?   Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can windshield trim be replaced without removing the windshield?
Page 1 of 1