GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
ajharman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ajharman

ajharman

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Empty
PostSubject: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 4:17 pm

So I'm about to move cross country and reserved a 6x12 uhual trailer for the move. Gotta pick it up in a week or two.

I have a 94 wagon, and being that the class III wagon hitches went the way of the dinosaur, the only option is to get lucky and find a unicorn in a junkyard which happens to already have one installed. I had no such luck (called at least a dozen local yards and trailer shops, who only kept trying to sell me a little dinky 1.25" receiver hitch), so a local welding shop is actually in the process of making one for me per the drawings that another forum member posted on here.

My question is, after I reserved the uhaul trailer there was something in the email that was to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "all tow ratings are subject to vehicle inspection to verify hitch weight rating prior to being able to rent trailer." At which point it dawned on me that my hitch, though hugely robust for this application, will not have any manufacturer's rating listed on it.

Is this just something they put as a disclaimer on all reservations, or am I likely going to have issues with this? They may look at this as a "homemade" setup which I'm sure could possibly affect whether they'll let me rent the trailer or not. Couldn't find anything on their website regarding what their criteria is for an "acceptable" trailer hitch.

Anyone else ever run into a similar situation?

Last edited by ajharman on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 4:33 pm

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Once they see you have a 2" receiver, that will be the end of it. They just don't want to see a bumper hitch when you need a Class 3. Atleast that has been my experience.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 pm

You got money? You got insurance?

You got a trailer.

I pulled a 6x12 with my TBI wagon with no questions asked.

You'll be alright.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 am

Yeah, they really don't inspect your vehicle that closely. As long as the trailer is returned and in good condition, they really don't care.
Back to top Go down
ajharman

ajharman

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 9:06 am

Stingroo wrote:
You got money? You got insurance?

You got a trailer.

I pulled a 6x12 with my TBI wagon with no questions asked.

You'll be alright.

How far did you tow it? See below, I'm curious is the process is different for long-term rental.

stewzer55 wrote:
Yeah, they really don't inspect your vehicle that closely.  As long as the trailer is returned and in good condition, they really don't care.

I've rented uhaul car haulers for the day on several occasions to tow behind my pickup and they've never inspected the hitch, just asked what vehicle and what size the hitch was. I'm just curious since this is cross-country and I'm renting it for a period of over a week and returning it thousands of miles away that maybe the process is different.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Returning it will be no problem,... Wink
Back to top Go down
ajharman

ajharman

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 am

Well luckily, I snagged this Draw-Tite off a custom cruiser I found in a local yard. Called at least a dozen junkyards in the surrounding areas and nobody even had a B-body wagon at all except this place, and of the one they did have, it so happened to have this on it. They wouldn't go look for me ahead of time, so I'm glad I gave it a shot and rode out there. It's pretty rough, I cleaned it up with my wire wheel a good bit though, gonna prime and paint it and then just get the shop that was gonna build me a hitch install this one instead.

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? IMG_20150311_175408635_zpsbnhckckd

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? IMG_20150311_175413409_zpsshbvkeba
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 am

Nice find,congrats!
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I used to just overload the Class 2 on my car... don't tell anyone. U-Haul never really looked at it - I think they just go by tow rating for the vehicle.
(Although my hitch is bolted in multiple places and welded to the frame, so that prolly helped)
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 1:18 pm

Uhaul barely looks at the car, if they see a hitch that's enough for them. How many up here have towed a 1995 "Cavalier" on a Uhaul trailer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?   Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ever had any issues renting a trailer with a "homemade" class 3 wagon hitch?
Page 1 of 1