GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

camaro wheels

Go down 
+5
Sprocket
YachtDriver
Andebe
lakeffect
The Norm
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am

I'm new to the wagon world so not overly knowledgeable on them. First of all I'll tell you what I have. Its a 1992 roadmaster estate wagon that was given to me by my aunt. 245k and going strong. Second is my question. Camaro wheels? Found a cheap set of 18's with new tires for $500. 35mm offset and 5-3/4 backspace. With a 1-1/4" adapter will they fit?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 am

Keep in mind that the stud pattern is NOT the typical GM pattern. The wagons  are 5x5, five bolts on five inch centers. Standard GM patterns may be five bolts, but NOT five inch (125mm) centers. They are on a smaller pattern. Using any form of adapter will push the wheels outward where rim space is already at a premium. Back spacing becomes critical, and adapters steal it away.

Dave

Last edited by lakeffect on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 am

Thats a no,Norm.... Smile
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 am

So if I understand your replies correctly they won't fit even with adapters designed to make them bolt on? I was mainly concerned with the offset and backspacing. Like I said I'm new to the wagon so I'm not sure. Thanks for the quick replies.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:34 am

It could be possible. It depends on how wide the new wheels are.

Go here and put the numbers in for both wheels and tires.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

The Factory RMW wheel has about 1mm offset with the 35 you get approximately 1.3 inches to play with.  A 1.4 inch spacer may just make it. Again the ISSF is full of options. A bit of research and you may make it happen.

Here is my first set of BBS wheels. Their offset really did not allow for spacers.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t8663-will-these-wheels-work

Some research and careful setup with spacers you would be surprised what can be done.

I also did a set of BBS RK 011 18x8.5 with a backspacing of 38. I used a set of spacers with the following specs. 4 WHEEL SPACERS ADAPTERS | 5x5 to 5x4.75 | 1.25" | 5x127 to 5x120.7 | 5 LUG

Here you can see them on my SSWAGON.
camaro wheels IMG_1622_zps58596d23

Pic came from this thread here.

They clear quite well. The car is a bit high in the nose as I had just replaced the front springs.

I have since changed to an original set of ROH wheels. These BBS's are now on another wagon.

-D
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 am

the skirts in the back are why you need to be careful of the backspace.   I ran 15x8s with 4 in of backspace (so 4 in front space if you will) and they BARELY clear (less than 1/4 inch) and would rub on a hard corner.   Some folks roll the lip to get an extra half inch it you are really tight.

camaro wheels 101_2245
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 pm

yachtdriver and sproket thank you. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will do some more research before I throw money away. Thanks
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Looking at the Custom rim website I see that the Camaro wheels will actually be 45mm(1.8") closer to the suspension. So I would have way more tire to fender clearence. I would at a minimum need the 1.25" adapter/space. The wheels I am looking at are 18x8's with 245/55/18 tires. I got the wagon with 235/75/15 tires. I think I might pull the trigger.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 1:41 pm

A little more research.

So You are looking at the 18x8 wheels. If we use your figures of 5-3/4” backspacing and 35mm offset as a guide, we might assume that the Camaro wheel is off of a 2010 – up base Camaro (about the only 18 inch Camaro wheel / tire combo that can be found cheap).

If so:

The wheel (steel or aluminum) on those models is a 18 x 7.5 inch wheel using a 120mm bolt pattern with a 245/55-18 tire.

With a 1-1/4” spacer. that would put it at about 3mm offset, within the envelope of the established standard Impala SS wheel & tire combination.

Use a 17x8.5 wheel with 8 mm offset and a 255/50-17 tire as your reference. The factory Impala SS wheel & tire is generally the most that will consistently fit in a wagon and still clear the skirted wells.

Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 3:54 pm

So to clearify things. They are off a 2010 base model camaro. I think even comparing them to the Impala SS wheels they will fit.
Package 1 is Impala SS wheels. Package 2 is camaro wheels.

Suspension clearance: Package 2 is 22 mm (0.9'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Make sure that you have enough room for that. If not, consider lower offset, narrower tires or using spacers.
Fenders clearance: 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Wheelwells clearance: Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 20 mm. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider lower profiles or smaller rims.
SPEEDOMETER: When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 63.4mph (102.1km/h): 5.7% faster.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 5:31 pm

One last thing to consider. Most rims are non returnable. Be real sure about those measurements.
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Yep. Craigslist deals always have a no return policy. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp. Is where the measurements are from.

Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 am

They fit!
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 11:41 am

Sweet!

Thanks for following up.

What did you go with for spacers?

Any Pictures?
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

1-1/4" thick adapters. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a picture. I'm not a computer guy at all!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Wow,I would have bet against this one. Somebody help him out with the pics,lol.
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 pm

I keep trying to attach a picture without success. I hit send and then it tells me the picture is to large. I also tried to upload a picture to an album on this site and get a message that the picture is too large or corrupt. Whats the problem?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

post 1 more time, then try again. There is a 10 post minimum (anti-spam measure)
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 am

Ok here is one more post. I can tell you that there is a huge difference between the 235/75/15's and the 245/55/18's. This car drives way better!
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am

Just host the photos somewhere else like www.imgur.com

Attaching them here sucks, and is more hassle than it's worth. Copy the link provided that starts with [IMG] when you upload.

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 10:15 am

Stingroo wrote:
Just host the photos somewhere else like www.imgur.com

Attaching them here sucks, and is more hassle than it's worth. Copy the link provided that starts with [IMG] when you upload.

Amen! How can we fix that?
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

I hope this works.
Attachments
camaro wheels AttachmentIMG_20150330_194816520_HDR.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(121 Kb) Downloaded 24 times
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 pm

They look very nice. Different,and different is good!
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Oh THOSE look damn good.

Uploaded so you don't have to click:

camaro wheels YJlqEhg
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Pretty nice for a free wagon! I got the wheels and tires for $400. Now I just need to drop it down a few inches!
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:19 pm

https://imgur.com/Qq7I7Of. Im not sure how to upload so I wont need to click the link?
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 pm

I like it.

Nice to see something different.

Back to top Go down
kjurkic

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm

HiNorm

Looks really good! I have been having a real heck of a time finding any 5x5 wheels, the wreckers where I live are an effing ripoff/joke and gm pickups or vans with 5x5 are non-existent.

It seems I will have to copy your adapter solution - another pain of being in Canada tho', Amazon US has HUGE selection and good prices, Amazon.ca has crap or nothing and is another effing joke; I guess its Amazon's version of the sibling who wears a helmet all day and no one talks about....

And to add insult to injury, I see you got the wagon for free Sad
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Nice work Norm!
I have often eyed that style wheels (I also think some similar Jeep wheels would look good), but I have an irrational aversion to adapters.  Thanks for putting in the effort.

kjurkic: The old half ton pick-ups are aging out in my area as well.  Even in the couple of years I have owned the Roadmaster, such wheels seem to have gone from common and cheap to scarce and dear.  Astro wheels still show up here from time to time, and I like that look. Caprice wheels are about all I have seen recently.
Fortunately I grabbed a couple of truck sets early on from Craigslist local, but I didn't take Norm's careful approach to measuring and calculation.  I got lucky with the mags my snow tires are on, they fit about like the ones in Sprocket's picture (rears have to be mounted deflated).  It will be hit or miss for a set of Vectors that have been sitting in my garage, once it is warm enough to work with liquids outside so I can clean them up and try them on.

As for U.S. shopping, perhaps you can hook up with our growing membership in the Seattle area for a relay, if the order is large enough to make the trip worthwhile.  I remember a nice ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria, but I don't remember if they had a car ferry, or if that was only Victoria to Vancouver.
Perhaps the West-Coast Wagon-fest will be an opportunity.
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for the great comments guy's. I couldn't believe my luck when my wife's aunt gave me this car. I love to drive it!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Norm you're natural....Born to rock the B-Body Wink
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 pm

Cant beat that price with a bat!Wheels look great.Do you know the centerbore diameter of the adapters?
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 12:03 am

You've got me looking at adapters and Z06 wheels... damn it. lol
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 12:18 am

That would look sweet. I thought of some Corvette wheels but couldn't find any that would fit in my price range. 
I'll need to check the center bore this weekend when I retorque the adapters.
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah, I want to see if I can squeeze the 19x12 rears on the car.
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 11:37 am

I already have a set of hub centric 1.5" wide adapters and spent most of last night scanning CLs covering VA!See what you started Norm?
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Hey sorry guys if I caused a little creative chaos! Its a ton of fun modifying car or truck. Everything I own has been altered to fit my personality. I guess I must be crazy.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 10:23 am

I think I read somewhere on here that the SS rear end is the narrowest of all the others. That,if true would help "buy"some space/room in that very tight space.
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 12:37 pm

The Norm wrote:
Hey sorry guys if I caused a little creative chaos! Its a ton of fun modifying car or truck. Everything I own has been altered to fit my personality. I guess I must be crazy.

Not crazy here,perfectly normal with a growing NEED to modify!
Back to top Go down

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Andebe wrote:
I think I read somewhere on here that the SS rear end is the narrowest of all the others. That,if true would help "buy"some space/room in that very tight space.

It could, but depending on how wide the wheels are, the frame itself becomes an obstacle.

Nothing a little notch can't fix, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Maybe we should form a Modification Support group, but instead of using our group power to resist the urge to modify, to encourage it.
Back to top Go down
kjurkic

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am

Hi, my name is Ken, and I am a modification addict. It has been a week since my last modification....
Back to top Go down
The Norm

The Norm

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 pm

I think that is a great idea. It could be a section where guys could share information not opinions. I'm in!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 6:51 pm

The Norm wrote:
I think that is a great idea. It could be a section where guys could share information not opinions. I'm in!
Ohhhhhh but everybodys got opinions. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

camaro wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: camaro wheels   camaro wheels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

camaro wheels
Page 1 of 1