GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?

Go down 
+5
Wagoninabox
81X11
AZWagoneer
silverfox103
Cadet57
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Empty
PostSubject: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 am

I have a really great deal on some LTZ leather seats lined up. The fronts I know will line up fine. But will the rear bench? I still need to be able to use the fold down seat. But it looks like the benches are the same and they just have a different mount?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:58 am

See the signature pictures below. 94 RMW with 94 RMS seats. The bottom snaps right in and the back has to be brought to an upholsterer. I have detailed instructions on how to do it. What color is your interior?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Grey. Seats are blue so they'd need to be reupholstered or dyed. But my main concern is that id still be able to use the folding seat in the back.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 1:46 pm

PM sent

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
AZWagoneer

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
I have detailed instructions on how to do it.

Are your instructions posted anywhere? I have RMS limited rear set I'm ready to install.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi AZ

I will send later on today.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Methinks you should do a writeup for it. It looks like an awesome mod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I would love to have the instructions as well. Thx
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Old Topic! Ha! Hi Tom! After years or keeping an eye out, I nabbed a perfect rear Sedan seat for my '96 Roady wagon yesterday. I want to take the upper cushion to my interior guy and have it mated to my stock seatback, but would really like GOOD instructions to had to him with the cushions. If you still have the write-up somewhere, it would be much appreciated!

Hope things are going well!

-Mike
mike_massey@dell.com
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Sent you a PM.

Tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 am

Pick-N-Pull Grand Prairie Texas find last Sunday. Perfect rear Sedan seat for my wagon (thank you previous owner for window tinting, no Texas sunburn!). The seat cleaned up great! Can't wait to do this mod! Also scored snap-in floor mats too! Nice! -Mike

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 12821476_10208829778692464_2861710670352758333_n
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 12376789_10208829780652513_9067165826959273606_n
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 12832491_10208829780292504_2999115277486879058_n
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 12814554_10208829777452433_1597674559211753990_n
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 12821627_10208829777252428_6476014153755539846_n
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 am

I found this link on the Impala forum last night: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=229236

It didn't talk much about how to mount the center fold-down armrest. Looking forward to Tom's write-up on his. I believe he has the exact same seat and setup that I'm about to tackle.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 am

Tom if you have any bigger pics of the seat, front and back, that would be appreciated. I want to take them to my interior guy and say "make this look like this!" Ha!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Mike-

Since you are going through this mod, hold out til you can get the 95/96 seat back as they had the openable arm rest with pull out cup holders! Your rear seat passengers will appreciate it!

Can you be sure to take lots of pictures and post with details when you do your mod? I want to do this one too.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Wagoninabox wrote:
Mike-

Since you are going through this mod, hold out til you can get the 95/96 seat back as they had the openable arm rest with pull out cup holders!  Your rear seat passengers will appreciate it!

Can you be sure to take lots of pictures and post with details when you do your mod?  I want to do this one too.

Keep in mind I live in Texas. I've owned this car since 2007, and this is the first time I've found a good rear seat in the right color. They all burn up down here.

I love this new seat. The leather is perfect...and I don't want the kids drinking/spilling in my car anyway! Ha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:28 am

Today's additional question while waiting on instructions from Tom... HOW do I get the wagon seatback OUT? I looked last night and am not seeing bolts anywhere near the hinges???

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Instructions will be coming this PM

Tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 3:15 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Instructions will be coming this PM

Tom

Thanks Tom!
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Make sure to share those top secret instructions with the rest of us . Lol
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Theres a spring pin on one end If I remember correctly from 4 years ago….
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:03 pm

Seems to be on the passenger side end...
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:52 pm

94-96 seat backs realsed on the passenger side. There is a solid pin on drivers side. To release seat back for removal, get a long flat tip screwdriver and jam it down on the pivot pin on the passenger side and push inward toward the seat cushion. The pin is spring loaded and highly tensioned so you must keep downward pressure while also pushing inward. Once the pin is out of the socket quickly lift the seat back from the perch.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 am

Wagoninabox wrote:
94-96 seat backs realsed on the passenger side.  There is a solid pin on drivers side.  To release seat back for removal, get a long flat tip screwdriver and jam it down on the pivot pin on the passenger side and push inward toward the seat cushion.  The pin is spring loaded and highly tensioned so you must keep downward pressure while also pushing inward.  Once the pin is out of the socket quickly lift the seat back from the perch.

EXACTLY!
I had mine out many times when I was sound deadening my wagon.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 am

Shared with Permission.  Looks like a great mod.   Big thanks to Tom!

Part 1: Removing the seat:

Here's how you do it: The pivot points is where you take it off. On the passenger side (I believe), there is a "male" part that the seat pivots on. What you have to do is, push the seat away from the mount and slip it off of the shaft. When that is done just walk the seat off of the other side. It takes a little effort, but you will have no trouble. I may have the side wrong, but I think I am correct.

Part 2: Dismantling and reassembling:

Unzip the cover for the stock wagon seat, and remove it.  You will not re-use the foam.  You can also separate the leather from the carpeted backing by removing the stitches.  You will be reusing the carpeted back of course.  The plastic shell inside the seat is what we will be working with next.

Now, it's time to fit the new sedan seat onto the plastic shell.  You will be reusing the sedan seat foam and the wire mesh that supports the sedan seat.  I did cut off the feet (where the sedan seat mounted to the seatbelts on the bottom), I may have had to trim in another spot, but it was minor if I did.
Here's what I did next, I secured the mesh to the plastic shell.  I used plastic tie wraps to do that with.  I fitted the seat on the shell, so it fit and looked good.  Each place that I secured, I drilled two holes in the shell and I would loop the tie wraps through the holes and around the wire mesh.  Secure as necessary in as many places as you think.   You may have to trim the wire mesh to fit the seat back / shell better. I can't remember if I did. You will be able to get the "feel" of it and know if it is necessary.

****NOTE:  One important step is to secure the armrest frame on the backside to the shell.  I think I bolted it with 1/4 inch bolts, just bolted it directly to the plastic inner shell, I used decent size fender washers to spread out the stress. Doing that anchors the armrest and the center of the seat.  

The upholsterer may have to cut some of the tie wraps, but that's OK.  You can fix them when he's done by unzipping the back or you can give him a few tie wraps.  You've done the hard part.

To give you an idea of how long it takes, maybe an hour or two.  It's easy.

Part 3: Off to the upholsterer:

What you need to bring:
1. The new seat back
2. The carpeted back from the wagon seat and the old leather seat back (the upholsterer will need to cut two small pieces from it to match and patch on the new seat, one on each side).
3. Some extra tie wraps.

NOTE 1:  Explain to your guy that you need to maintain the pivot point holes!

It should be an easy job for him. I was charged $60 to finish it, I gave her $80 as I felt she didn't charge me enough.

NOTE 2: make sure the pivot thingies are secure.

****As you probably know, the rear seat won't fold down as flat as the stock seat.  But that's OK, you can still carry stuff around.  Eventually, I was able to find another stock seat back.  So, if I had a heavy load, I just swapped seat backs.  Actually, I have probably done that once, maybe.

Good Luck, you're on your own! Ha Ha

Tom

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? DSC_5829

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Seats6_zpsq5g2oatm

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? DSC_5846

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? DSC_5827

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Seats5_zps2i0xujlq

From the Impala Site:

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Rear6

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Rear3

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Rear2

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Rear1" />

Last edited by 81X11 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am

Deadmanonduty wrote:
Wagoninabox wrote:
94-96 seat backs realsed on the passenger side.  There is a solid pin on drivers side.  To release seat back for removal, get a long flat tip screwdriver and jam it down on the pivot pin on the passenger side and push inward toward the seat cushion.  The pin is spring loaded and highly tensioned so you must keep downward pressure while also pushing inward.  Once the pin is out of the socket quickly lift the seat back from the perch.

EXACTLY!
I had mine out many times when I was sound deadening my wagon.  

Question here. Is the passenger-side pivot pin spring-loaded inside the actual seatback, and if so, could you not just stand outside the open driver's side rear door and push the seatback itself from the driver's side toward the passenger side, and slide it off the fixed male pivot rod, and then pull the seatback out the driver's rear door?

I'm trying to picture this in my head, but it sounds like that would be simpler than trying to push that pivot rod into the seatback with a screwdriver from the passenger side.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 am

Mike

I'm not home until April and I don't have either of my wagons with me, so I can't look.  I'm at my winter job wrestling gators. But this I can tell, it's easy.  You'll have it figured out in 2 minutes.

Tom

Last edited by silverfox103 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Mike

I'm not home until April and I don't have either of my wagons with me, so I can't look.  I'm at my winter job wrestling gators.  But this I can tell, it's easy.  You'll have it figured out in 2 minutes.

Tom

Thank you again, and enjoy your winter!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Does this modification make it so the sedan seat doesn't law all the way flat like the wagon seat does?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Does this modification make it so the sedan seat doesn't law all the way flat like the wagon seat does?

Per Tom, above:

****As you probably know, the rear seat won't fold down as flat as the stock seat. But that's OK, you can still carry stuff around. Eventually, I was able to find another stock seat back. So, if I had a heavy load, I just swapped seat backs. Actually, I have probably done that once, maybe.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Mike-

No, you will not be able to simply slide the back over and pull out from drivers side. The spring tensioned pin is indeed on the back itself but must be forced back into the seat back to remove the assembly. You will understand better when you go look at the pin in the socket.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Yes, just take something like a long flat blade screwdriver and fold the seat forward far enough until you can access the area of the pin. Then you will have to use the screwdriver to pry the spring loaded pin into the seatback a couple inches and then the passenger side will pull free and then the drivers side will just wiggle off the other pin.

Pretty simple once you actually see it. Mine was real easy only because the previous owner told me about the spring pin! Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks All!
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Have to find a way to save this , it maybe be useful later .
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 am

Tom,. it might be a good idea to post your instructions and pics up again,. and then 'sticky' it?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:28 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Tom,. it might be a good idea to post your instructions and pics up again,. and then 'sticky' it?

Those are my intentions Nick.

I am down south until the first week of April and the computer that I have that Info is in NH. I could have sworn that I posted that before on the forums, but I can't find it any where.

No luck on finding any of the wheels you need. Been a regular at junkyarding for the past 3 months.

Tom
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 am

silverfox103 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

Those are my intentions Nick.

I am down south until the first week of April and the computer that I have that Info is in NH.  I could have sworn that I posted that before on the forums, but I can't find it any where.

No luck on finding any of the wheels you need.  Been a regular at junkyarding for the past 3 months.

Tom

well,. the 16" ford wheels thats a shame,. i,d settle for a newer set of 17" town car rims,.

a nice suncoast hood out of melbourne,...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 11:12 am

I just did a big update on my Roadmaster Deer-Strike thread in the General section, and am doing the Sedan seat swap as part of the repairs/mods. I posted a lot of pics and what I did/found in that thread if you want to see, here's the link, and the seat mod is down near the bottom: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t12279-wagon-travel-and-deer-strike-pics#132069

The seat is at the upholstery shop now getting the carpet from the wagon seatback sewn on, but I posted lots of pics of how it got to that point. Will update once I get it back and get it installed.

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 am

Can you see the difference in Sedan and Wagon seats?
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 13055948_10209278805957865_7369648998788565165_o
Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? 13063424_10209278808357925_8381189501429505097_o
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?   Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do Sedan Seats fit in a Wagon?
Page 1 of 1