GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stupid headlights

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 2:32 pm

6 months ago the heaslight dimmer switch (on the column) went bad in the FW. I got a part local from Advance (china crap) and 6 months loter it was doing the same thing. No low beams. I ordered a new Delco one and before I put it in I noticed that the click of the switch didn't happen anymore when I pulled back and hat NO lights.

Today I took the old one out and damn if it doesn't work in my hand (clicks). I installedd the new one and it wont click either when I pull back on the stalk.

Now the low beams work and I can manually push the steel rod forward and it with switch the lights back and forth. the issue seems to be up in the column with the stalk.

now the turn singnals and the wipers all seem to work okay.

I couldn't fin anything in the FSM about removing the switch or the linkage for the headlight switch so what can you guys tell me??????

thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 am

You are going to go pretty deep in the column to get the part. There is a small link that is made of cast metal, that is notorious for breaking. You have two options: 1. swap the column, 2. dig in the column and replace the link.

I have a link if you want to tear the column apart. If you look on page 3F5A-9 Figure 17 of your FSM, it will be item number 26. It is called the dimmer switch rod actuator (actuator, dimmer SW rod).

Now would be a good opportunity to upgrade to "flash to pass". It only requires that you swap the two leads in your connector, and add a third one with an "always hot" wire. Of course you have to get the FTP headlight switch for the FW to replace your headlight switch.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 8:37 am

ugh that's what I was afraid of. I didn't see anyway to pull the switch off without taking the wheel off.
which year/car FSM did you refer to (I know tis part is the same on all of them) as I couldn't find anything about it in the 1995 Fleetwood FSM.

I'm going to loosen the switch on the column first and see if (I hope, but 98% sure it broke before I took it apart) it's an alignment issue.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 am

I have the 91 and 92 OCC FSMs. It is the same part. I have a 93 FW FSM, and the part is #21 on the blowup in figure 1. Also figure 17 on page 3F5A-9 #21
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 am

Ok thanks, got real busy with work and school today....looks like I sourced a tan steering colum too Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 am

The FW steering column is longer than the B-body steering column, and you can not swap them.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The FW steering column is longer than the B-body steering column, and you can not swap them.

I was not aware of that. Good thing it's from a Fleetwood. sunny
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 am

I found this out when I put a FW column in my 91. The OEM intermediate shaft barely locks up. I had to take the Jeep shaft out, because it did not extend far enough to lock up, making my steering sloppy. The length difference is mostly on the engine side of the firewall. The difference is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch longer.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 11:00 pm

And fixed....turned out the when I installed the new switch it was mis aligned, binding the rod. Unscrewed it and tried againg and now she works good
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 8:18 am

50 lashes with a wet noodle for putting us through that arduous exercise.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
50 lashes with a wet noodle for putting us through that arduous  exercise.

Embarassed It's funny as I did the same repair 6 months ago and had NO issue with putting the new one in.

There is enough room for you to slide the switch forwards and backwards and it was too far back (away from the wheel). I pushed it all the way forward and that took care of it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 2:00 pm

i think upwards, or downwards might 'splain it a little better lucy,.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stupid headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid headlights   Stupid headlights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid headlights
Page 1 of 1