GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stupid AC blower

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 pm

So I put the car on the raod and drove it about 4000 miles with no AC issues (WF10 and back plus a month or two). THen all of a sudden the blower doesn't work. I have a spare from the 96 9C! I parted no big deal. SO after no AC in the FL sun for 4 weeks (I work 6 days a week), I get around to it and take the ole one out. I bench test it and it's fine. WTF?
Put it all back together and see one vacuum line separated and figure that's my culprit. WRONG!
I drive it about 350 miles (round trip to Trade Grey RMS leather for Charcoal bonnies) and it runs great. .... until I stop at the junkyard on the way home and score some other nice parts. Get in the car all hot and sweaty, NO AC!!!

Two days ago I get off early and drop the lower dash and start to fiddle with the connector. test for voltage and as you would think, 4 fan speeds 4 different voltages at the connector. snap it back on and it works! For about 20 seconds Sad

fiddle some more and find that if I press laterally on the connector when it's plugged in the fan will kick on, let it go and it stops. I wedged a door shim in there and it's okay so I leave the cover off and figure I'll wait a couple days and see what's up. Now I can get it run but EVERYTIME I get in the car I have to relocate the shim around to get it to work, hit a bump and the fan changes speed.

Could it be something OTHER than a bad connector? I can't believe that the Delco connector that locks in place is that dirty/bad whatever.......in other words I don't want to chop out the connector and solder it to find out that's not the issue.

thoughts please.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 pm

The Weather pack connectors are fine, the wire is fine, its the contact between the wire and the stupid little inserts in the connector. These are available at your local NAPA in packs of 12.

These are crimp type connections and with age get loose. Only permanent fix is to solder them on.

Had a similar problem with the air compressor on the Caddy. Had that thing out four times before I realized it was a loose connection "inside" the weather pack connection.

Good luck.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 am

Since you brought this up, I had a blower motor go out on me, and when I went to change it, it was hardwired. Someone cut the connector off and soldered the leads together. I now have the correct connector and it works fine.

Some of the aftermarket blower motors have a lead on them with a plug on the end, instead of the plug at the motor with no lead. There is no gasket at the exit from the blower cover...I wonder if that could contribute to getting water on the PS floor?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:32 am

I thought it might be something like that. I'll update when I get a chance to pull it out again....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Quote :
if I press laterally on the connector when it's plugged in the fan will kick on, let it go and it stops.

It's the fan motor. Had the EXACT same symptoms on my old 9C1. Fixed with a parts store fan.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:14 pm

but when I took it out and bench tested it it ran FINE for 10 minutes????????? makes NO sense
haven't gotten to it yet too busy...
Back to top Go down

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 pm

^ Seems to be the story of your life my friend.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Well I finally broke down and swapped in the other blower from the 96 9C1 and of course all is better now (shoulda just done that the first time).

The broken one still bench tests fine too so I'll have to take Bill's advice and tear into it and re-solder the connector up....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stupid AC blower Empty
PostSubject: Re: stupid AC blower   stupid AC blower Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stupid AC blower
Page 1 of 1