GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Messing with TBI Mods

Go down 
+3
stewzer55
Andebe
cbshea13
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cbshea13

cbshea13

Messing with TBI Mods Empty
PostSubject: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 6:41 pm

So, I've poked around, looking at some TBI mods and such.  But rather than mod my own, I spent $25 and bought one at my local U-Pull-It.  I'm going to do some grinding on it tomorrow... but here's a before look after I cleaned it up a bunch.

(On a side note, I saw a 94 that was identical to my 93 there...and cried.  Man that car was destroyed inside and out...)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 11:41 am

Ever checked out Harris TBI Performance? Lots of good info.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Yes I have. Love that site.

So, I made the mods, and removed my TBI. Was looking at the one going in, as something seemed "off.". Well, the one I was installing was missing the shifter cable pin.

I'll upload some a pic soon, but until I find one, or figure out how to change the spring part on the TBI, mod won't be done.

On the upside, I did give my TBI a nice 2+2 gum cutter bath! Now its nice and pretty.

I'm also looking at open air filter mod.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 9:19 pm

I scrubbed up the TBI for my 1 ton last year. I'd like to make them breathe easier and activate lean cruise.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I didn't mess with mine besides taking it off, cleaning it up and re-sealing the whole thing. It's a 305 that runs perfect, no need to mess with it since I'll be getting a 6.0L at some point.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:46 am

I swapped a 46mm TBI onto my 350. It also has a number of other mods. In putting the larger TBI on the manifold, I had to bore the manifold to eliminate the step. It took me an evening with a drill and sanding drum(s). Ii also have the higher flow 9C1 injectors, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You can swap the butterfly shaft from one TBI to another to get your shifter cable pin back. I have a couple of 42mm (stock B body) TBIs if you are interested. I would like $50 each for them. I may be able to get the butterfly shaft if you are interested $??.

If you want to make checking your fuel pressure easy, get the metal fuel lines from a 91-93 Fleetwood with the Chevy LO3/5. They have Schrader valve ports for a pressure gauge. The 93 line is a little different shape and the port is in a different location, but will bolt directly to the B body. The installation is a lot easier than the adapter that bolts into the pressure line at the TBI. To install the adapter, you have to reshape your pressure line.

I installed an LT1 cam, and put headers and dual exhausts on the car. My intake is the Caddy hat, sewer pipe style, and I made an air box from a piece of sheet metal to shield the air cleaner from engine heat. In finding a place for the filter, I moved the vapor canister under the wheelhouse with the mount from a 94-95 and only had to add a few inches of hose to make it fit. I drilled a couple holes in the frame, and screwed the mount in with an impact wrench, and self tapping screw. The only caution is to place it far enough forward to allow the installation of the wheelhouse extension. It may require a short extension of the connector wiring.

I started a 454 build, and when it is done, I will either sell the LO5, or freshen it and put it in my 92.

If you make any extensive mods, you will probably need a custom chip for your computer.

I installed electric fans from a 93 FW. The harness and relays are easy to install, and you should use a adjustable thermostat to adjust the on/off of the fan/fans with the engine water temp. I hooked the right fan up to the AC demand wire, and the other to the thermostatic switch. I am planning to add a third relay to turn the right fan on with the thermostatic switch when the AC is off.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:31 pm

No Mods?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Stubby, is that you?
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:40 am

Haha, Tim.

Thanks for the info guys! And Fred, I'll let you know. As for now, umm just cleaned it up and resealed (since it was off and all!). I noticed a HUGE difference after just cleaning it. It was pretty dirty, and had a few wet spots on the drivers side of the TBI assembly. I'm giving it a few weeks to see what I think (I don't drive far for work).

Will keep you guys updated, and thanks for the info on swapping the butterfly, I may do that eventually.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 9:47 am

what is the shifter cable pin? is that the throttle pressure cable?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:46 pm

It is the pin that attaches to the transmission cable, that allows the trans to stay in lower gears and downshift. I guess you could refer to it as a throttle pressure cable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Messing with TBI Mods   Messing with TBI Mods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Messing with TBI Mods
Page 1 of 1