GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coolant Filters?

Go down 
+2
200OZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 3:19 pm

((I posted this in another thread, then decided it deserved its own))

I have always wondered why there are not coolant filters.
Diesels have them, the Mustang & Jaguar enthusiasts have one.  The B-Body guys used to use one from John Deere tractors, but I guess it was prone to failure and is no longer on the market.

It seems like that would save a ton of grief, particularly for heater cores, by the time a car gets to be the age of our wagons.

Anyone tried this, or know why it would be a bad idea?
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm

I used one a few years ago when dealing with a core that kept getting clogged every few days and lose heat. I used a 3/4" Y strainer, with barb adapters in the heater hose that supplied the core. The first few days were frustrating, the screen in the strainer would plug up in 15 minutes, then no heat again.
I'd remove the screen from the strainer, and clean it off, and re-install it. Finally after a month of that the system was relatively free of particles and the heat worked great all the time.
The Y strainer is available at most plumbing stores, and you may now find them for PEX tubing which would mean they already have barbed ends for a hose.

It worked good for me, but using some of the plastic filters may be a problem waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 11:10 am

You have answered my questions.
I like the irony:

The reason not to have one is that it works and is needed. scratch
There is so much crap swilling around in our cooling systems that a filter becomes clogged so quickly that it stops flow.
Without some kind of relief valve, running one consistently (without stopping to clean it every 15 miles) could be dangerous.
I guess that's also why you would put it on the heater hose rather than a main hose, so clogging doesn't do major damage.

Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Had the same problem, used a wix xp quality oil filter and adapter in the feed hose. Ran it for a month problem solved. Wix 3 was 51516xp standard threads to mate up to external oil cooler adapter.I am installing one on the burban and the jimmy soon
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Sorry spelling issue Wix # 51516xp. Goes into bypass if it clogs.
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Anyone using the Evans water replacement coolant,its a one time thing and then you never have to worry about antifreeze?Dont drive my wagon all that much and this seems like a good idea for that reason.Requires a thorough flush using their included treatment and you use a test strip to measure the water content in your system before filling with the Evans chemical.Its kind of expensive but it would pay for itself after a few years.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Scroll down about 1/2 way: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tom
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 6:09 am

Holy cross reference Batman.
I think there's a useful mod in there somewhere, between that thread and a couple more cross referenced in that thread.
I just did a cursory read, and haven't figured out exactly how they T'd it in, but I'll add it to the list of things I don't have time to do right now.
My heater core, and water pump etc,. currently OK, but I've had problems with other cars, and this seems to be an inexpensive preventative with no downside.
Why isn't this type of filtration more common or even standard? What am I missing?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 7:38 am

If you do it, please post pictures and part numbers. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 9:29 am

I'll be honest, I have more on my plate than I can handle right now, and a porch full of parts for projects I'm trying to get to, so this one is way down the list.
If anyone else wants to try, there are various parts numbers, and some pics, in Tom's references from the big board.
I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried something like this, and if not - why not.
It seems too obvious, given how common and difficult are problems with clogged heater cores and radiators (and I've seen  pictures of the gunk that builds up on the knock sensors etc.). An ounce of prevention?
There must be a down-side.
Anyone know what it is Question
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 11:24 am

Hi the wix filter 51516xp is a synthetic based filter with amazing filtering qualities. A lot less than the coolant filters and has the exact flow specs etc. as the comparable coolant filter. I did all of the cross referencing at work on the wix website. So far no problems. I even plan to use the same setup for my trans filter system.
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 11:41 am

As Flasheroo said the true coolant filter system is quite expensive to use, I have been usung the oil filter set up for a while, no downside yet and fittings etc available at your local autoparts, here are the numbers
Wix oil filter 51516XP
Wix adapter 24762
four seasons fitting 84776
these numbers are good I work at an AutoValue store in Montreal and researched it all very well.Give it a try and let me know how it works.
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Kahuna,

Sounds like you are working the same concept, perhaps with a less expensive part.
For what it is worth, the part numbers in Tom's referenced thread were:

NAPA 4019, 4070
or
Baldwin CFB5000, B5134

I have not taken time to cost it out, but it is described in the threads as manageable.

Are you running yours continuously, or did you just do it long enough to solve a problem?
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 2:47 pm

actually did a test run on my 1996 jimmy and it works great. installed on the roadmaster 2 months , no problems yet.next is the '93 burban.
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Kahuna,

Sounds like an endorsement to me!
Perhaps you're the guy to provide the pictures Dave correctly says we need.
(I'm still not clear on where/how the Impala guys T'd into the coolant lines - seems like they have more than one concept going).

SO I'll ask again:  Why isn't this standard equipment, or at least a standard mod for anyone with an older car?
Other than cost (which seems manageable to me) what is the down-side?

Anybody?
Back to top Go down
KAHUNA01

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 4:04 pm

when i figure out how to post pictures i would be very happy to do so. i will have to ask my grandkids for help
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 9:34 pm

802 wrote:
Kahuna,

SO I'll ask again:  Why isn't this standard equipment, or at least a standard mod for anyone with an older car?
Other than cost (which seems manageable to me) what is the down-side?

Anybody?

AND,. nobody answered again,..
Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 3:29 am

Patience Phantom...not everyone is in a hurry to comment on mods that don't interest them.

The fact that you have nothing negative to say about the idea speaks volumes.

So far this has been a productive thread, with two distinct methods of straining or filtering coolant offered.

I'm just surprised that, in this mod-happy crowd, that everyone hasn't done this already if there is no down-side.
I guess that it doesn't make the car faster or louder, so why bother.

Since I'm a bit slow on the projects so far this summer anyway, there appears to be plenty of time for someone to chime in with a horror story, or gloom and doom prediction, or just to explain to me what a bad idea this is before I start hacking up my hoses.

If I can't count on you for that, where can I turn?
Anybody?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:54 pm

802 wrote:

If I can't count on you for that, where can I turn?
Anybody?

you talk a lot,. time to go do it,..
there is no downside,.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 8:10 am

Nick, does it work better with an orange  colored  filter?

Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:09 am

phantom 309 wrote:

you talk a lot,. time to go do it,..[/quote]

Thanks,
I was gonna anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coolant Filters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant Filters?   Coolant Filters? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant Filters?
Page 1 of 1