GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil level sensor p/n

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
r67northern

r67northern

Oil level sensor p/n Empty
PostSubject: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2015 11:01 am

Hey everyone,

I've got a leaky oil level sensor which I've traced to this p/n from RockAuto (AIRTEX / WELLS 5S3008):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The vehicle is my '93 RMW (LO5). This doesn't really look like the leaky thing under the car in the oil pan though. Is this the right part, just updated a couple decades? I was waiting to pull the leaking sensor when I did the next oil change, so I'm not quite sure what the leaking one looks like out of the vehicle. Maybe this new part is okay?

Any help appreciated,
-Leland
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 10:53 pm

There's an oil level sensor and an oil pressure sensor; one in the oil pan the other on the block.
Which is giving you trouble? Aside from the leaks, is there trouble with the pressure gauge or the idiot light in the dash?
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 6:27 am

This would be the sensor that's in the pan, it's kind of oozing out slowly - I decided to risk the $30 or so and I'll post a couple of pictures of the old and new one just so the info is recorded here.

Your question on the oil pressure sensor is actually an interesting one - the sensor/gage in the RMW is much more sensitive and swings far more with RPM than many other TBIs I've been around. I've seen some that never move at all, and then a few like this one that could almost be a tach.

Anyone ever wondered why besides me?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 7:55 am

The oil pressure gauge should read in a similar fashion to a tach, in that it will go up with increased RPMs. The pump should put out 6 psi at 1000 RPM, and 24 psi at 4000 RPMs. There is a relief valve built into the pump to limit the amount of pressure.

The level sensor in the pan may just be loose. There is a foam gasket under the sensor that is not available separately to the best of my knowledge. You may be able to tighten the sensor, and stop the leak. It is plastic, so be careful with the amount of torque you apply.

The connector requires a thin screw driver to remove. It is similar to the one on your washer pump.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks for the input guys. I'll investigate more with the upcoming oil change.

As for the oil pressure - given that the RMW pressure is variable and doing fine (as Fred describes), should I replace one that is simply "stable" under all conditions? My '90 Sub has always been that way as have a few other early TBI Sub's I've known.

Best.
-Leland
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Some have a gauge that reads on or off. If you have oil pressure the needle moves to a certain position, and does not move from there unless there is no pressure. The sender is for the most part an on and off switch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 5:30 pm

r67northern wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll investigate more with the upcoming oil change.

As for the oil pressure - given that the RMW pressure is variable and doing fine (as Fred describes), should I replace one that is simply "stable" under all conditions?

Best.
-Leland

Unless you are experiencing issues, I'd leave well enough alone.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 8:15 pm

802 wrote:

Unless you are experiencing issues, I'd leave well enough alone.

Completely agree, just thinking about the next time it's torn apart for some reason. It's logged thousands and thousands of miles just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I got the part swapped out and thought I'd just update the post with a picture or two.  The original part and new part are shown below:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You can see the part is basically the same, but the material is all plastic and the length of the new one is longer.  It WILL fit and will even screw into the oil pan hole without cross-threading if you're patient ...

Don in MO likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil level sensor p/n   Oil level sensor p/n Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil level sensor p/n
Page 1 of 1