GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stiff turn signal switch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Stiff turn signal switch Empty
PostSubject: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Do the turn signal switches get stiffer with age on these cars?  Or were they stiff from the beginning?

Is there a pivot that could be greased?

On our Roady I feel like I have to use so much force to engage the turn signal that I am going to break off the stalk. It is much stiffer than our 2004 Tahoe, or any other car I have driven recently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2015 8:02 pm

I have found them all like that on our wagons. It feels like your are breaking a stalk of celery to turn!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 2:40 pm

My turn signal clicks into place, but it is not difficult to move. The switch is all contained in the unit inside of the column. If you replace the switch, it should be a lot easier. The only other possibility is that the pivot in the bezel is binding, but I have not heard of that happening. A little grease on the moving surfaces might help as well.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 2:46 pm

How hard is it to get that switch out Fred?

Our wipers are also finicky. They sometimes stop when trying to park, and a jiggle of the switch gets them going again. If I'm going to replace the stalk and switch, I might as well pull out the rest and grease it up.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 3:10 pm

My dad snapped one off back in the day on his 93 Caprice! He was pissed off and gave it a pound and it didn't like that ! lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 3:24 pm

The wiper issue is probably the black box on the wiper motor, no sense in replacing the entire stalk. To get to the turn signal switch, you have to remove the steering wheel, clockspring, and lock plate. Once you have the lock plate off, the switch has 3-4 Phillips screws holding it to the column. You do not have to remove the stalk to swap the switch. Once you remove the switch, check the pivot for freedom of vertical movement. If it is free moving, then the switch is the only issue. It should not need a lot of grease, but a little on the moving parts will not hurt it. Use a plastic safe grease.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 3:50 pm

The wiper issue is definitely the switch. I had to swap the black box to get the intermittent feature back. But the current issue is likely a had connection in the switch.
Back to top Go down
Shnalla

Shnalla

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

I have 92 Buick Park Avenue and a 84 Wagon both with the same turn signal and it's pretty stiff.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Dorman makes a replacement stalk if you want a new one.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stiff turn signal switch   Stiff turn signal switch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stiff turn signal switch
Page 1 of 1