GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's an Impala, but not a sedan

Go down 
+2
buickestate
95BRMW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

It's an Impala, but not a sedan Empty
PostSubject: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm

I've taken on another project, but not completely by choice.  Loosing a garage for storage kinda pushes those "someday I'll fix it up" projects into "I guess I'll start working on it".
Anyways, here's my latest rolling New England rust bucket, a 1975 Impala Custom Coupe. 

Before I get the "That's a friggin demo derby car" let me give you a little background on why I'm fixing such a mess of a car.   My father bought this car new in 1975 and drove it pretty much daily until it was parked in my Grandmother's garage sometime in late 1999-early 2000.  In that time he racked up somewhere north of 225k on it, and yes the engine and trans are all original (2BBL 350 with a turbo 350 trans).  It was parked mostly due to the rust getting out of hand (hole in the frame among rotted panels) and it developed a bad vibration from the drive shaft.  At the time patch panels did not exist and it was parked as that someday project that him and I would work on.  Well, he passed away in September of 2003 and the car sat.  For whatever reason, this was the car that my Dad kept after owning much cooler cars such as a 1968 442 and his 68 Roadrunner.  I have every single receipt for this car including the dealer invoice and window sticker.
Growing up this is what I would help my Dad work on and I guess what got me into cars (especially yachts).
In 2009 my Grandmother passed away and my Aunt and Uncle inherited the house but were nice enough to let me use the garage.  I guess I overstayed my welcome as I was asked to do something with the car.

So here's what pics I took while waiting for the flat bed.  It's back at the house (which is now overstocked on cars again) and ready to be slowly fixed up.  My work actually gave us Friday off which worked perfectly for getting this thing home.  I hope to get it safe enough to drive and not looking like a ghetto cruiser.

So now it's my turn to pickup where my Father left off.

It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_124133_zpsranhp94i
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_124728_zps9n6kaglg
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_124734_zps2lytbd8h
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_124746_zpsxahwfk48
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_124955_zps6kijezuq
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_125000_zps6w7zmojl
It's an Impala, but not a sedan FB_IMG_1435942262176_zpsoznvvzfj

And it's home:
It's an Impala, but not a sedan 20150703_151005_zpsy4cazplj

Walk around of the car:
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 11:05 pm

looks like a fun project, filled with memories. You'll do it justice, take your time
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 am

Dave,

Can you get bondo in 5 gallon buckets?

Kidding aside, good luck with it. I understand the connection with your father. Will you have it ready for WF?

Tom
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

buickestate wrote:
looks like a fun project, filled with memories. You'll do it justice, take your time

I just have to get good at body work now
silverfox103 wrote:
Dave,

Can you get bondo in 5 gallon buckets?

Kidding aside, good luck with it.  I understand the connection with your father.  Will you have it ready for WF?

Tom
WF 2025 maybe.  Who needs tons of bondo when chicken wire and expanding foam is so cheap?
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Great story...glad your able to save your Dad's car. Take your time and you enjoy the resurrection.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Great project. Good luck David!!
Back to top Go down
harrisons13

harrisons13

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Nice vid, good luck on the project! I'm glad you are saving it. I see that dashbord has the "mark of excellence"
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkqi6xKihlvfX82nZ3nmCHQ?view_as
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's an Impala, but not a sedan   It's an Impala, but not a sedan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's an Impala, but not a sedan
Page 1 of 1