GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Yet another dumb question,

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Yet another dumb question, Empty
PostSubject: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I bought some ramps and plan on doing my own oil changes from now on. Perusing the Amsoil website revealed that I could easily get by with one filter and oil change a year. I called their tech line and was told that switching to their synthetic would cause no problems.

Both of my Roadmasters leak oil but neither one loses enough to require adding any oil over my customary 3500 mile interval.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Thank you,
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 7:51 am

If you want to use the oil of your choice, it is probably the cheapest way. You should determine the where the oil leaks are, and fix them. You will save a quart a year, probably, and not mess up the roads where you park your cars.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:30 am

My 95 Caprice dripped just a little bit when I bought it. I switched it over to Synthetic oil and the leak went from a drop or two to a puddle. It was crazy how bad it leaked.
I swapped back to regular oil and the leakage went back to a normal drop or 2 here and there. So much for synthetic in mine! lol

I still don't like the super long oil change intervals. Once you get water in your oil from short trips, that will be in your engine until you change that oil. Same with contaminants, they are still in there. I prefer more often oil changes to flush the garbage out. Just my opinion.
Amsoil is great oil!
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 10:16 am

Another option would be to go with the Valvoline High Mileage synthetic blend. It is supposed to help with leaks. Amazon has it priced at $16 for a five quart jug.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I personally would stay with dino oil,.

water from condensation,. evaporates from the oil when the motor gets up to operating temps,..
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

My oil cap has water droplets on it every time I look at it, even after an hour drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another dumb question,   Yet another dumb question, Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another dumb question,
Page 1 of 1