GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Installing a new starter...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dajonga

dajonga

Installing a new starter... Empty
PostSubject: Installing a new starter...   Installing a new starter... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 7:05 pm

I have a '92 RMW.

It died a few weeks ago and I am now just getting to fixing it with the intent to sell the car.

When I turn the key, it clicks, but no start. The battery is strong. My Father in law suggests it is the starter.

The Haynes manual makes it look like a 14 minute job, except there is an exhaust pipe in the way.

Does that exhaust pipe need to come out? I can see no other way to take the old starter out with that pipe in the way.

Thanks for the help.

David
Back to top Go down
http://davidgardphoto.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Installing a new starter...   Installing a new starter... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 9:03 am

You have to remove the suspension brace. The frame bolts are difficult to access. I have done it with a ratchet and a box end. You have to get the box end inside of the frame.

You could drop the exhaust, but you have to unbolt both sides for it to drop. Getting the frame brace out of the way is easier.

In the LT1 dual exhaust cars, the frame brace is welded in.
Back to top Go down
dajonga

dajonga

PostSubject: Re: Installing a new starter...   Installing a new starter... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Fred,

Thanks! I was wondering about that brace, too.

I appreciate the info.

D.
Back to top Go down
http://davidgardphoto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing a new starter...   Installing a new starter... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installing a new starter...
Page 1 of 1